What's more important?

What's more important?

PostBy: Paisan On: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:19 pm

What's more important, stack temps or stove temps?
Paisan
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. Circulator
Stove/Furnace Make: D.S.
Stove/Furnace Model: Circulator

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Paisan wrote:What's more important, stack temps or stove temps?


Both will work fine as indicators of how your appliance is running. Stack temps will just be a bit lower than stove temps but either is all you need to work it.
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: the snowman On: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:08 pm

I believe devil505 is correct. For me, I rely on stove temp. My Jotul is a enamel coated cast stove. If the surface temp gets to hot it can bubble the enamel which destroys the finish and damages the stove. So, I do watch both stove temp and stack temp. Stove temp first and stack temp second.

the snowman
the snowman
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: VigIIPeaBurner On: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:41 pm

Yup, three in a row agree. I use both too. Like the snowman's stove, my stove is cast iron and radiant only. It's built like a box in a box and designed to circulate the exhaust gasses between the two boxes to catch as much heat as can be radiated at a given draft. When a new charge of coal, say ~ 30 Lb, is beginning to burn I'll see stove temps in the 500-600 range with stack skin temps at ~ 200-250. Once the stove's internal damper is closed and the load burning, I'll get stove top temperatures of 650 -700 and stack skin temps of ~ 150 -175. With a full load under these measurements, I'll get 14 hr burn times consistently with good coal.
Vermont Castings Vigilant coal stove
VigIIPeaBurner
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: grizzly2 On: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:44 pm

I have had a thermometer on my stack for years (burning wood & now coal). I recently added a Rutland magnetic thermometer to the side of my Hitzer. The $15.00 for the second thermometer was a good investment I think. By monitoring the difference between stove and stack temps, I can see how efficiently the stove is operating. For example, I prefer running the stove in the evening without the blower running due to noise. However I have observed that with the fan off the stack temp goes up while the stove temp remains the same ( the stove temp stays the same because it has a thermostatic draft control ). This tells me that I am loosing more heat up the stack when the fan is off. I now only turn the fan off in the evening when I am burning a low fire. I hate to waste the heat. :shock:
grizzly2
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 - 95
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut/ anthracite
Other Heating: Jotul #3 wood stove in garage. Oil backup in house. Electric backup in house.

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:10 pm

The way I look at is that it wouldn't hurt to have multiple thermometers on your stove at different heights. Each would give you a slightly different reading but all you really need to know is what any of the temps is to provide the heat that keeps your house comfortable. I have always used only a stack magnetic thermometer & know that I need to run my stove normally at around 140* in fall-early winter, 160* most of the winter & maybe 240-260* in January. Those are stack temps but would just be relatively higher if they were stove temp readings. That's all I need to know. ;)
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:27 pm

grizzly2 wrote:I prefer running the stove in the evening without the blower running due to noise. However I have observed that with the fan off the stack temp goes up while the stove temp remains the same ( the stove temp stays the same because it has a thermostatic draft control ). This tells me that I am loosing more heat up the stack when the fan is off. I now only turn the fan off in the evening when I am burning a low fire.


& now that we both know that, you no longer need your stove thermometer & neither do I. :lol: :P

(I also only turn the fan off when I am burning a low fire)
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: grizzly2 On: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:32 pm

Devil505 wrote:
grizzly2 wrote:I prefer running the stove in the evening without the blower running due to noise. However I have observed that with the fan off the stack temp goes up while the stove temp remains the same ( the stove temp stays the same because it has a thermostatic draft control ). This tells me that I am loosing more heat up the stack when the fan is off. I now only turn the fan off in the evening when I am burning a low fire.


& now that we both know that, you no longer need your stove thermometer & neither do I. :lol: :P

(I also only turn the fan off when I am burning a low fire)


Good point :devil:. Would anyone like to buy a slightly used Rutland thermometer :?: :funny:
grizzly2
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 - 95
Coal Size/Type: pea and nut/ anthracite
Other Heating: Jotul #3 wood stove in garage. Oil backup in house. Electric backup in house.

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: the snowman On: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:38 pm

grizzly2:

Depends upon how much your looking to get for the slightly used unit.

the snowman.
the snowman
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: oliver power On: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:13 pm

I myself measure stack temps for efficiency, as well as safty of metal chimney going up through house. I see others measure stove body temps, which are in proportion to stack temps. With a thermometer in both places, it's fun to monitor things like fan on / fan off differences. And lastly, you don't need a thermometer at all (I don't have one on my shop stove). So, I too have to agree with the others. Notice that we all have at least one thermometer. That's got to tell you something.
oliver power
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:21 pm

oliver power wrote:you don't need a thermometer at all (I don't have one on my shop stove)


I would not want to run a stove with no thermometer at all. Why guess when thermos are so cheap??
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: rockwood On: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Devil505 wrote:
oliver power wrote:you don't need a thermometer at all (I don't have one on my shop stove)


I would not want to run a stove with no thermometer at all. Why guess when thermos are so cheap??

Thermometers definitely help you keep stove temperature more consistent and in my opinion run more efficiently.
rockwood
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic coal furnace
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Soft coal: Lump and stoker (slack coal)

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: oliver power On: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:07 pm

Devil505 wrote:
oliver power wrote:you don't need a thermometer at all (I don't have one on my shop stove)


I would not want to run a stove with no thermometer at all. Why guess when thermos are so cheap??
I would always recommend a thermometer, especially to newbies. Myself, I've been around wood and coal stoves since I was a little kid. That's been many many years ago. We never had thermometers back then, Nor did any of the neighbors. We simply knew how to run the stoves. Bought my first coal stove for my own house 13 years or so ago, and my first thermometer (for the house) about 9 or 10 years ago. Due to the fact of being around stoves all my life, I feel very comfortable with them, thermometer or not. That being said, I've often thought about buying a thermometer for the shop stove, and will one of these days.
Last edited by oliver power on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oliver power
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:21 pm

oliver power wrote:We never had thermometers back then, Nor did any of the neighbors. We simply knew how to run the stoves. Bought my first coal stove for my own house 13 years or so ago, and my first thermometer (for the house) about 9 or 10 years ago. Due to the fact of being around stoves all my life, I feel very comfortable with them, thermostat or not. That being said, I've often thought about buying a thermostat for the shop stove, and will one of these days.


You have me confused here. I am talking about a simple thermometer to read stove temps, but ...are you talking about a thermostat being unnecessary or a thermometer? (I have never run anything but a hand-fired stove & thus could never have used a thermostat either)
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: What's more important?

PostBy: oliver power On: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Devil505 wrote:
oliver power wrote:We never had thermometers back then, Nor did any of the neighbors. We simply knew how to run the stoves. Bought my first coal stove for my own house 13 years or so ago, and my first thermometer (for the house) about 9 or 10 years ago. Due to the fact of being around stoves all my life, I feel very comfortable with them, thermostat or not. That being said, I've often thought about buying a thermostat for the shop stove, and will one of these days.


You have me confused here. I am talking about a simple thermometer to read stove temps, but ...are you talking about a thermostat being unnecessary or a thermometer? (I have never run anything but a hand-fired stove & thus could never have used a thermostat either)
You got me Devil! toothy Glad someones paying attention. Signs of getting old.
oliver power
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II)
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)
Stove/Furnace Make: HITZER / KEYSTOKER
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93 & 30-95 , Kaa-2

Visit Hitzer Stoves