After some time and a hammer I was able to get the plates to come off. The issue I found was the fingers (hooks) were bent to much restricting the removal of the plates. Now that they can be removed, I do not see any need to change the design as referenced above.
As for the piping the two boilers together (parallel), I have completed that task. What I did was set up the two boilers so the circulators and flow checks are in the DMZ fabricated with shutoff valves which allow me to isolate either of the two units at any given time.
Now I am seeking any reference surrounding the electrical set up... thank you for your help....