Norton Antivirus

Norton Antivirus

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 pm

Look at the lower RH corner. It won't go away. Always on top. I'm going to reboot, I think then it will be gone. I'm growing dissatisfied with Norton software.
SS.GIF
(141.39 KiB) Viewed 97 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]11328[/nepathumb]
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: av8r On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:44 pm

AVG Free is all you need. DItch the Norton.
av8r
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Hearth model with twin turbos

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:45 pm

control panel, add/remove programs/ remove..... i hate symantic and most......
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska


Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: 009to090 On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Theres gotta be an option to turn off that pop-up. But I got rid of Norton about 5 years ago, and I bought multi-licenses of Trend Micro Internet Security. Its about half the cost of Norton.

Chris F.
009to090
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:48 pm

It was good when I first went online, now it seems to hog up CPU time and has too much bullshit stuff. It did prove it's worth a few times, that's the only reason I keep hanging on.

I had this happen once before, had to reboot. The window won't close .
Last edited by Wood'nCoal on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: Devil505 On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:48 pm

Make that unanimous!...Symantec IS a virus!! :mad:
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:53 pm

I'd like to meet those symantec guy's in an alley......especially since i have on my Chuck Norris shirt tonite!!!

....he don't use scuba equiptment......he just holds his breath!! :lol:
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: efo141 On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 pm

Norton slowed my laptop to a crawl. I used it until the free trial was up then installed Windows live one care. It was like a different computer with Norton gone. Uninstall it and try the Windows Live, they will give you a free trial of 90 days i think.
efo141
 
Stove/Furnace Make: New Yorker/Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: WC90-----/Kaa-2

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: 009to090 On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:It was good when I first went online, now it seems to hog up CPU time and has too much *censored* stuff. It did prove it's worth a few times, that's the only reason I keep hanging on.

I had this happen once before, had to reboot. The window won't close .


Rebooting is probably just stopping the backround tasks. Whatever they are, who knows.... But it would make sense if Norton gave you an option in Setup or Profile or someplace, that allows you to turn off just the pop-up, but lets the backround tasks continue.
Easiest way to fix it?
Get Rid Of Norton! :D

Chris F.
009to090
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: 009to090 On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 pm

efo141 wrote:Norton slowed my laptop to a crawl. I used it until the free trial was up then installed Windows live one care. It was like a different computer with Norton gone. Uninstall it and try the Windows Live, they will give you a free trial of 90 days i think.


Yes, Windows Live One Care is a great option to Norton. I am currently playing with that, myself. I still haven't tested all the features, but it looks promising.

Chris F.
009to090
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: mr1precision On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:01 pm

DVC500_at_last wrote:Theres gotta be an option to turn off that pop-up. But I got rid of Norton about 5 years ago, and I bought multi-licenses of Trend Micro Internet Security. Its about half the cost of Norton.

Chris F.


I agree! Trend Micro is the way to go.
I found Norton was a hog and slowed my computer down.
mr1precision
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: efo141 On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:12 pm

DVC500_at_last wrote:
efo141 wrote:Norton slowed my laptop to a crawl. I used it until the free trial was up then installed Windows live one care. It was like a different computer with Norton gone. Uninstall it and try the Windows Live, they will give you a free trial of 90 days i think.


Yes, Windows Live One Care is a great option to Norton. I am currently playing with that, myself. I still haven't tested all the features, but it looks promising.

Chris F.
I get it free every year with Turbo Tax, of course you have to do the mail in PITA rebate thing. Its the only one i've had that can do a update or tune up and won't slow the computer.
efo141
 
Stove/Furnace Make: New Yorker/Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: WC90-----/Kaa-2

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: Richard S. On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:28 pm

AVG or AVAST are the two I hear suggested the most and AVAST seems to be the choice as of late. I'm running AVG myself.

As I understand it getting rid of Norton is no easy task. e.g. Add/Remove doesn't exactly remove it totally. Do some research on how to make it "gone".
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: 009to090 On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Richard S. wrote:AVG or AVAST are the two I hear suggested the most and AVAST seems to be the choice as of late. I'm running AVG myself.

As I understand it getting rid of Norton is no easy task. e.g. Add/Remove doesn't exactly remove it totally. Do some research on how to make it "gone".



Yes, it takes a couple of re-boots to " make it go away".

Chris F.
009to090
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Re: Norton Antivirus

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:43 pm

yes thats right theres a few pre-requisite removes as they hide it in another form. following anything that says symantec is a way i have succeeded. the live care one free trila saved my a few months ago. it becomes incessant after the 90 days tho to be bought. same routine to get rid of it. avg is cool
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska