Pistol of Choice

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: mikeandgerry On: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:24 pm

CoaLen wrote:I think I want to get a good, untility type pistol. Mostly self defense, some target shooting.
I thought I would put the question to you guys:
If you had to pick one reasonably priced ($300-400) pistol to own, what would it be?

Thanks,
-Len


Self defense and target shooting are usually two different objectives for a handgun.

For beginners, a .22 caliber revolver would be the place to start. It could be a home self defense gun and certainly a target gun for a beginner.

A .22 target pistol would be next choice. You'll be using a handgun more for target than self defense. Get a semi-auto with a bull barrel. You'll have lots of fun with it. Ruger makes one in your price range. It's cheap to buy ammo too. It could be a home defense gun.

Lastly for concealed carry self-defense, a .357 snubby DAO would be optimal for size and firepower but it won't be much fun to shoot at the range even with .38's. Otherwise, if you like autos, a compact 9mm would carry well and be shootable at the range.
Last edited by mikeandgerry on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeandgerry
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: gambler On: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:26 pm

acesover wrote:Look buddy I would not steer you wrong, go with a shotgun. What these guys are talking about cost big bucks and you need to practice, USED SHOTGUN 100$ done.
Ray


Yes it is a fine home defense weapon. Like I stated before use #4 or #6 shot for a better shreading action. Although it does not fit under my pillow very well. But can be left standing by the headboard for quick access. Also there is nothing wrong with having a shotgun leaning against the headboard and a revolver under the pillow with a pistol tucked under the matress.
gambler
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: CoaLen On: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:35 pm

Thanks guys (and gals) for the good advice.
I am checking on it as I have a chance and will respond when I get some time. This is a very busy week around here with the job and some evening projects but I do appreciate all the responses and will be spending more time digesting them early next week. You've given me plenty to consider!
-Len
CoaLen
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice


Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: Black_And_Blue On: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:37 pm

gambler wrote:
acesover wrote:Look buddy I would not steer you wrong, go with a shotgun. What these guys are talking about cost big bucks and you need to practice, USED SHOTGUN 100$ done.
Ray


Yes it is a fine home defense weapon. Like I stated before use #4 or #6 shot for a better shreading action. Although it does not fit under my pillow very well. But can be left standing by the headboard for quick access. Also there is nothing wrong with having a shotgun leaning against the headboard and a revolver under the pillow with a pistol tucked under the matress.


Oh no, please tell me you didn't just recommend bird shot for a defense load.
Black_And_Blue
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: Complete Heat On: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:46 pm

Gambler,

Most people shot with a pistol survive. Most people shot with a rifle die. If I were shooting a large game animal I would not use a 22-250 (if you get to choose my caliber, then I choose a .22 short for you), because like you said velocity is not everything. My .300 win mag at 1,000 yard has the same punch as a .44 magnum point blank, think of what it will do at 10 yards. That is also why I specified an M1A in .308, it will knock your richard in the dirt from 600 yards. Show me a pistol that has that flexibility, hence handguns suck as a primary fighting weapon. If you are willing to show up at a gunfight with a pistol I pray for your sake that you are fighting an idiot, because I know the other guy will be. I base my "opinion" from 8 years as a Green Beret, and lots of additional training beyond that. Look at the shootout that occurred in LA several years ago. What did the cops do.... they went to gun stores to get RIFLES because their pistols were no match against what the bad guys had. That also resulted in all of the cops being issued RIFLES so that they can actually win a protracted fight.

Mike
Complete Heat
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: AA-130/FHA

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: Devil505 On: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Black_And_Blue wrote:Oh no, please tell me you didn't just recommend bird shot for a defense load.


gambler wrote:But can be left standing by the headboard for quick access. Also there is nothing wrong with having a shotgun leaning against the headboard and a revolver under the pillow with a pistol tucked under the matress.


mikeandgerry wrote:Lastly for concealed carry self-defense, a .357 snubby DAO would be optimal for size and firepower but it won't be much fun to shoot at the range even with .38's. Otherwise, if you like autos, a compact 9mm would carry well and be shootable at the range.


Man....What a blood thirsty group!!!! :lol: :rambo2: :rambo:

What do you guys do for a living that you need to sleep with a gun under your pillow??!?! :P :lol:
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: Black_And_Blue On: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:56 pm

Black_And_Blue
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:07 pm


http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/accuTip_bonded_sabot_slug.asp
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: cheapheat On: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:55 pm

I shoot alot and anyone who exercises their rights to do so is ok in my book but some of you guys are not right this time. Im big enough to fire a 12 gauge single handed if I had too(not saying I want to but what if) Some of you want to see a newcomer to a rewarding sport cut the barrel down on a single shot 12 gauge that only weighs 4 maybe 5 pounds to begin with. ARE YOU NUTS? One shot from a "sawed off" would probably leave most people wondering what the hell they were thinking buying a gun in the first place. Watch youtube when some idiot gives his biggest gun to his wife or girlfriend and it nearly dislocates her shoulder, they arent learning anything but pain and will probably never shoot again. I hope CoaLen is still listening because Im not gonna tell him what to buy. I want everybody who ever picks up a gun (pistol or rifle) to enjoy themselves so much that they want to teach their family and everyone can enjoy themselves. CoaLen you should find a GOOD local gunshop...I used to drive 1 hour each way for mine...dont go to walmart or dicks or any other boxstore with some kid behind the counter. A good gunshop will steer you down the right path and give plenty of good advise with lots of hands on demos and if they dont then you may have to drive a little further till you find one. Oh yeah I do have a preference and I own alot of guns but If I had to pick just one and send the rest buy-buy then it would be my Browning Buckmark .22 pistol. It will shoot jagged single holes in paper at 10 yards and if you really want to play all day it wont cost a fortune. Also god forbid you ever have to defend your home youll put 10 shots right where you want them without worrying about high recoil making your second and third rounds hit the ceiling. The ruger MK 2 or 3 previously mentioned are fine guns also but they can be a little finnicky about the ammo used in them. A Browning Buckmark comes in numerous variations but the "camper" model can be bought for less than 300 in most places and is super accurate and lots of fun for the whole family. Good luck. Jim
cheapheat
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska Channing 3
Stove/Furnace Model: Bagging my own rice coal

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: gambler On: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Complete Heat wrote:Gambler,

Most people shot with a pistol survive. Most people shot with a rifle die. If I were shooting a large game animal I would not use a 22-250 (if you get to choose my caliber, then I choose a .22 short for you), because like you said velocity is not everything. My .300 win mag at 1,000 yard has the same punch as a .44 magnum point blank, think of what it will do at 10 yards. That is also why I specified an M1A in .308, it will knock your richard in the dirt from 600 yards. Show me a pistol that has that flexibility, hence handguns suck as a primary fighting weapon. If you are willing to show up at a gunfight with a pistol I pray for your sake that you are fighting an idiot, because I know the other guy will be. I base my "opinion" from 8 years as a Green Beret, and lots of additional training beyond that. Look at the shootout that occurred in LA several years ago. What did the cops do.... they went to gun stores to get RIFLES because their pistols were no match against what the bad guys had. That also resulted in all of the cops being issued RIFLES so that they can actually win a protracted fight.

Mike


I think you called me an idiot!! Them's fightin words!!!
I guess

We can do this!!





Or you can choose to!!
gambler
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: GRinRI On: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Keep it simple for a first firearm. If you want a handgun, get a revolver. No jams ever. Get a .22 if you just want to plink. They're cheap to shoot a lot and you'll build shooting skills. If it's for home defence, don't even think about any caliber that starts with a number lower than 4. Again, the revolver is your "old reliable"
If it doesn't have to be a handgun, get a pump shotgun. 12 ga. Home defence is all about close range(usualy). High power rifles are hard to beat at long range but a shotgun will shred ANYTHING inside 10yds even if you're using rubber shot. You can also use the pump gun to go shoot clays, hunt bird and large game. A pistol or rifle is limited in that respect. Many states don't have handgun or rifle seasons.
I'd say a pump gun is the best all 'round gun. In your $$$$ range too.
Be safe, have fun, and good luck wading through all the info out there.
GRinRI
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: rrob311 On: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Kurt Saxon said it well when recommending having 3 guns. .38 revolver for the nightstand cuz its easier to draw in bed than a long barrel. Then a 12 gauge pump for the house, last but certainly not least a 30 06 for long range.
rrob311
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: Devil505 On: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:43 pm

Interesting question: (for me anyway)

Has any forum member ever had the unfortunate occasion to actually use a firearm for self or home protection?

(Military & law enforcement experience certainly count)
I think we all may benefit from your experiences.
Last edited by Devil505 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: gambler On: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Devil505 wrote:Interesting question: (for me anyway)

Has any forum member ever had the unfortunate occasion to actually use firearm for self or home protection?

(Military & law enforcement experience certainly count)
I think we all may benefit from your experiences.


That depends on whether you consider using the gun without pulling the trigger a self defence move or not.
gambler
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Pistol of Choice

PostBy: Devil505 On: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:05 am

gambler wrote:That depends on whether you consider using the gun without pulling the trigger a self defence move or not.


Of course I do. I'm talking about REAL threatening situations (not practice) in which you used a firearm, whether you needed to actually discharge it or not.

Edit: I guess I should qualify that by removing instances where you may have heard a noise & grabbed a gun to check it out, with no real threat existing other than in your mind...You know what i mean.
Last edited by Devil505 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000