captain const wrote:Yes the ash layer is all over the new coal just loaded. The stove has gone out and I have cleaned it out completely. I have relight it and it will go up to temp. just to fall back down a few hours later with the ash door left open the entire time.
1. Are you filling the stove completely with coal? (to the top of the firebrick)
2. Does it do that with with both the old & new coal?
3. Only the ash door is open when this happens? (not the load door?)
4. Is it getting enough combustion air? (try keeping a window open in the room)
5. Does you chimney have a clean out door? (inside or outside the house) Is it closed?
If your draft is good.....and you have a window open in the stove room ....and you are filling your stove up completely, The only thing it could be is bad coal??? (but I never heard of coal THAT bad)..Try different coal.
Unless anyone else has any ideas, I would say that if you are somewhere on planet Earth & leave just your ash door open, you will have a roaring coal fire, if all those conditions have been met.