Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: stockingfull On: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Poconoeagle wrote:I got that pic from troops based over there and they thought it was about being a chicken. I wonder if the "who ever smelt it delt it" thought is apropo here? ;)

My wife is German, still owns her family homestead in Frankfurt, and we go over there at least yearly. And I speak the language enough to translate this.

"Obama Fingers" are just "American-style" chicken fingers. There may be mild racism involved but there isn't a hint of an allusion to cowardice. Besides, I'm not aware of the term "chicken" having that meaning in German, just another example of the dangers of meaning changes when things are translated (cue the Bible thread).
See for yourself: http://www.dict.cc/english-german/c168.php

Here's my translation of the box front in the pic:
Upper left: "Tender, juicy chickenbreastfiletpieces,
seasoned, pan-browned, presented with included Dip
deep-fried"
Under the brand name: "Fully cooked, with Curry Dip"
The rest is brand, weight and storage info.

In fact, contrary to the implication of the post, we got calls from the neighbors in Germany on the day after the election, reporting that Germany was celebrating the American people coming to their collective senses and America regaining its international credibility by repudiation the wrongs of the last eight years.
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:49 pm

stockingfull wrote:
Poconoeagle wrote:I got that pic from troops based over there and they thought it was about being a chicken. I wonder if the "who ever smelt it delt it" thought is apropo here? ;)

My wife is German, still owns her family homestead in Frankfurt, and we go over there at least yearly. And I speak the language enough to translate this.

"Obama Fingers" are just "American-style" chicken fingers. There may be mild racism involved but there isn't a hint of an allusion to cowardice. Besides, I'm not aware of the term "chicken" having that meaning in German, just another example of the dangers of meaning changes when things are translated (cue the Bible thread).
See for yourself: http://www.dict.cc/english-german/c168.php

Here's my translation of the box front in the pic:
Upper left: "Tender, juicy chickenbreastfiletpieces,
seasoned, pan-browned, presented with included Dip
deep-fried"
Under the brand name: "Fully cooked, with Curry Dip"
The rest is brand, weight and storage info.

In fact, contrary to the implication of the post, we got calls from the neighbors in Germany on the day after the election, reporting that Germany was celebrating the American people coming to their collective senses and America regaining its international credibility by repudiation the wrongs of the last eight years.

understood. as I said the troops station there were reacting to the current threat of activity regarding N.Korea and the medias retoric with that. I just saw the box and also thought simply that they were indeed making fun of us. there is definitly a dig with it. thanks for your translation! I knew what it said also. Our troops who are away from us and often in harms way indeed have a different view on certain things as I am sure you would if you were required to physically protect our rights as opposed to verbally do so.
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: stockingfull On: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:05 pm

What's interesting about the different international perspectives on this is that the company that created the "Obama Fingers" very likely didn't do it to mock or chide Obama in any way at all; they did it to enhance sales of either a new product or one that needed a boost. And the "Obama" name would likely do that in Germany.

Don't forget: somewhere around a quarter million people came out to see him last summer in Berlin.

As for the attitudes of our troops, they have a new CIC, for whom a great many of them voted; the rest will adjust in time.
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace


Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: Devil505 On: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:07 pm

test
Devil505
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC-2000

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:22 pm

test passed

or was that gas??? :sick:
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:40 am

No Ruse?? its all a big ruze if you ask me or is he just associating himself to a holiday he holds dear?? hmmm

Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: stockingfull On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:04 pm

We negotiated with the Soviets when we had nukes pointed at each other.

So what's the BFD now?
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm

stockingfull wrote:We negotiated with the Soviets when we had nukes pointed at each other.

So what's the BFD now?


Well that is in the past, Tuesday the Russian President announced that they will retarget the US and European countries with their missles because they think we want their oil and gas.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:45 pm

I didn't quite understand what he said there at the end. I guess I don't know enough towel head dialect's . Dosn't it make you proud to hear your president speaking that language? funny the required language in my school's were french and spanish. Brooklyn Tech didnt teach us sand-in-neeze :o
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: spc On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:55 pm

Poconoeagle wrote:I didn't quite understand what he said there at the end.


That's funny, I couldn't last that long. I stopped it after I saw "A NOWRUZ MESSAGE". :lol:
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: samhill On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:06 pm

NO wonder I had a hard time understanding the guys from N.Y. when I was in the army , younz guys never learnt english like us Pitsburgers did.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: stockingfull On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:08 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
stockingfull wrote:We negotiated with the Soviets when we had nukes pointed at each other.

So what's the BFD now?


Well that is in the past, Tuesday the Russian President announced that they will retarget the US and European countries with their missles because they think we want their oil and gas.

Why worry? All that nuke fallout science is probably baloney too! 8-)

Look, whether or not Dubya was smart to flex our muscle in Iraq rather than focusing on getting Osama, our national credibility was the only certain casualty. The world no longer either believes our "intelligence" nor cowers to our threats. After all, Osama's still making tapes, Kim Jung Il as nukes and Iran is well on the way. How's that for a report card?

Dubya's strategic failure is thus arguably far more damaging to us than was Carter's tactical failure in the May 1980 desert raid.

Happily, we have people smarter than anybody here talking to our adversaries now. Since brute force has been pretty thoroughly discredited, let's "lawyer it up" for a spell. You guys can load up your weapons and prepare to shoot at the turbans at the convenience store. :rambo:
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: spc On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:13 pm

stockingfull wrote:Happily, we have people smarter than anybody here talking to our adversaries now.

Yea, HAPPY NOWRUZ "boyz". :)
spc
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: stockingfull On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:23 pm

I don't wish my enemies ill. I wish them wisdom. If they make an attempt to kill me, I kill them, and then wish the others wisdom to understand why that was a bad idea.

That's the big difference between the post-WWI and post-WWII time. And now, the war days when "the only good [German/Jap] is a dead [German/Jap]" are history.

Thankfully, the "Bush Doctrine" is effectively dead. And, actually, Bush himself killed it by phonying up the lead-up to the Iraq war. We're not going to be attacking nations anymore just because we "think" they "might" be a threat to us. Because we'd have to do that alone, and that just won't fly anymore.

None of this means we shouldn't and won't be prepared to anticipate threats and deter attacks. And I'll take all the TV interviews necessary to advance that approach, in whatever language.
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: Hey O bama lovers (or zombies)

PostBy: Ed.A On: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Thankfully, the "Bush Doctrine" is effectively dead. And, actually, Bush himself killed it by phonying up the lead-up to the Iraq war. We're not going to be attacking nations anymore just because we "think" they "might" be a threat to us. Because we'd have to do that alone, and that just won't fly anymore.
And I along with countless other believe this is making us more unsafe. Judging by Russia wanting to park Bombers 90 miles off our coast, the ramping up Nukes and saber rattling from Iran and N. Korea. Like it or not, they feared US becuase they feared Bush.

None of this means we shouldn't and won't be prepared to anticipate threats and deter attacks. And I'll take all the TV interviews necessary to advance that approach, in whatever language.

Sorry, but TV interviews will not save us, nice thought though. Maybe we need put out posters with Flowers in gun Barrels and sing kum-by-ya.
Ed.A
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice