We the People

We the People

PostBy: Ed.A On: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA
Pretty clearly lays out what we've become and what we need to correct.
Ed.A
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: We the People

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:10 am

There is always that very old couple bags of tea in the cubbord no one will use... time to throw those old bags out ;)
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: We the People

PostBy: stockingfull On: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:20 pm

I suffered through the whole thing. My take:

1. Lou Dobbs sure has aged -- but at least he got his dentures tightened up! :lol:

2. Great production values for an 18th century candlelit studio.

3. The essential premise, that the situation is like that which led to the Tea Party, is simply false. We have taxation with representation, indeed, congressional elections every two years. If you think that's an accident, think again. No "armed" or other uprising will be possible as long as elections are held regularly. If you want change, support a candidate or run yourself.

4. "He who chaseth many rabbits, catcheth none." The piece tries to push too many hot buttons, not all of which will inspire the broad support whoever produced this is trying to engender.
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace


Re: We the People

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Lots of truth in that reply. Thing is most sheeple wont recieve that twist on it as they are overtweeked from the debacle of modern political gains. hence many tea bags will arive in dc mee thinkist :|
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: We the People

PostBy: Ed.A On: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Poconoeagle wrote: hence many tea bags will arive in dc mee thinkist :|


True, true, teabags being sent is pretty darn lame, they'll never arrive, they'll be never be noticed (anthrax took care of that).
I always send out e-mails and sometimes ring the phone. Of course the response is always the same, a form letter or canned reply, usually it's never even addresssing the issue, can be very discouraging. I do it for my own self repsect.

I enjoyed the video, the targets are relevant to me and many others today.
I also understand some people poo pooing the video, I feel the same way everytime the Teleprompter tells BO what to say...to each his own.
Ed.A
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Re: We the People

PostBy: mikeandgerry On: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:31 pm

stockingfull wrote:3. The essential premise, that the situation is like that which led to the Tea Party, is simply false.


The facts showed that most representatives didn't read the stimulus bill nor the bailout bill. The polls showed that the people didn't favor the bailout nor did they endorse the stimulus bill. That's not meaningful representation.

As for taxation...well, it's either tax and spend or borrow and spend. Borrowing and spending both lead to tax. Taxation is always part of the equation.

While I didn't see the vid, I have heard of the tea bag mail in proposal. It would be a simple, non-violent and conscience raising protest to express constitutent displeasure with congressional spending, borrowing and taxing. Though they may not make it to the congress or the White House as Ed A. stated, their numbers would be noticed.

As for insurrection, no. Check the Declaration of Independence for guidance on the appropriate suffering required before an armed uprising is necessary. Don't start shooting until you've been hurt and hurt badly or repeatedly.

Fight the fight in the polls first.
mikeandgerry
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Re: We the People

PostBy: Ashcat On: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:42 pm

stockingfull wrote: We have taxation with representation...

Dangerously close to half the population have representation without taxation (at least federal/state income taxes), and that near-majority will always vote for larger government/more social benefits because there is no downside in it for them. The representative power of the productive will be overhwelmed by that of the unproductive, as we are already seeing in various ways.
Ashcat
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Re: We the People

PostBy: samhill On: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:40 am

Here we go again all I can see here is another postal stamp increase to pay for all the damage the tea bags do to the equipment, not to mention clearing the buildings & lost man hours everytime they have to analize the tornopen tea to make sure it won`t explode or turn into a toxic agent. Keep your tea bags at home.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: We the People

PostBy: stockingfull On: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:48 am

Here's what the tea bag protest will do:

1. Sell some tea.

2. FU the postal equipment, as sam notes.

3. Let each of our representatives in Congress know how many of their constituents have no idea what the Boston Tea Party was about.
stockingfull
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Yellow Flame
Stove/Furnace Model: W.A. 150 Stoker Furnace

Re: We the People

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:52 am

stockingfull wrote:Here's what the tea bag protest will do:

1. Sell some tea.

2. FU the postal equipment, as sam notes.

3. Let each of our representatives in Congress know how many of their constituents have no idea what the Boston Tea Party was about.


For once I agree with Jon. Tea bags won't get their attention. Send them a teaspoon of corn starch! That will get their attention. :shock:
Last edited by coalkirk on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: We the People

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:12 pm

samhill wrote:Here we go again all I can see here is another postal stamp increase to pay for all the damage the tea bags do to the equipment, not to mention clearing the buildings & lost man hours everytime they have to analize the tornopen tea to make sure it won`t explode or turn into a toxic agent. Keep your tea bags at home.



a tea bag in an envelope wont damage crap. the gazillion wacked junk mail ideas that comes thru the system is worse. no body is gonna BUY tea 1 bag is in most households. no increase. a non agressive simple message.

believe me the point will be taken for the simple message it is intended. maybe sales of aluminum foil for some new hats might be noticed from more sheep who dont want to rock the sinking,swamped boat??
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: We the People

PostBy: SuperBeetle On: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:00 pm

I'll be sending my tea bag. I do enjoy rocking the boat from time to time. :D
SuperBeetle
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Re: We the People

PostBy: mikeandgerry On: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Ashcat wrote:Dangerously close to half the population have representation without taxation (at least federal/state income taxes), and that near-majority will always vote for larger government/more social benefits because there is no downside in it for them. The representative power of the productive will be overhwelmed by that of the unproductive, as we are already seeing in various ways.


Great point, Ashcat.

Who was it who said something to the effect that: once the populace gains the keys to the treasury, the land of liberty and opportunity will be finished?
mikeandgerry
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Re: We the People

PostBy: Ashcat On: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Is it this, Mikeandgerry, usually attributed to Tytler?:
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship
Ashcat
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Re: We the People

PostBy: mikeandgerry On: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Ashcat wrote:Is it this, Mikeandgerry, usually attributed to Tytler?:
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship


Yes, that's the one I was trying to recall! I had no idea about the author until now.

Thank you.
mikeandgerry
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M