Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:29 pm

ErikLaurence wrote:You want someone to blame for the ship being taken? Blame Maersk. They're the ones who are too cheap to properly crew their ships.


Blame the pirates as they are responsible for this mess, not Maersk. Even if 30 men saw the pirates on the horizon, do you think that ship could outrun a rowboat with 2 100HP outboards?
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: KLook On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:43 pm

Would someone with experience in how many crewmen should be on board a ship tell me how many? Did I miss something on the news? A ship needs enough guys to handle the ship. Period. I know many merchant marine's and I have not heard any of them say the ships are under staffed. Maybe you mean they need armed guards? That is a different discussion.

Kevin
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: brckwlt On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:53 pm

ErikLaurence wrote: The Dunkin Donuts where I bought coffee this morning has more people on duty at any given time than the Maersk Alabama did.


I would of thought starbucks :shock:
brckwlt
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: Rebuilt 1953 AA-130


Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:03 pm

KLook wrote:Would someone with experience in how many crewmen should be on board a ship tell me how many? Did I miss something on the news? A ship needs enough guys to handle the ship. Period. I know many merchant marine's and I have not heard any of them say the ships are under staffed. Maybe you mean they need armed guards? That is a different discussion.

Kevin



Under COLREGS a ship needs enough crew to keep a good watch at all times. On a ship that size that means at least 3 people at all times 24/7 whose job it is to look at the horizon. That would mean you have 9 crew members whose job it was to keep watch.


http://www.imo.org/Conventions/mainframe.asp?topic_id=257&doc_id=649
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.


I have personally been almost run down by Maersk container ships in the Pacific many times, and I've got a radar reflector, AIS, and I hail them on 16. There's no one keeping watch.

If you see them coming alongside keeping them off the boat is not hard.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:03 pm

brckwlt wrote:
ErikLaurence wrote: The Dunkin Donuts where I bought coffee this morning has more people on duty at any given time than the Maersk Alabama did.


I would of thought starbucks :shock:



Starbucks coffee is crap
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:36 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
ErikLaurence wrote:You want someone to blame for the ship being taken? Blame Maersk. They're the ones who are too cheap to properly crew their ships.


Blame the pirates as they are responsible for this mess, not Maersk. Even if 30 men saw the pirates on the horizon, do you think that ship could outrun a rowboat with 2 100HP outboards?



I think it's not a matter of out running.

It's easy to board a big ship running straight.

But if you don't want to be boarded you won't be.

Wait until they're alongside, kick the helm away from the small boat, the stern will swing towards them. The wave alone will probably swamp them.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: tvb On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:07 pm

I dont have to do anything to make obama look bad. He is already a joke on the international scene. No one respects him.


You must be a member of the Sarah Palin Newspaper of the Month Reading Club to actually believe this.
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: Duengeon master On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:26 pm

ErikLaurence wrote:
coaledsweat wrote:
ErikLaurence wrote:You want someone to blame for the ship being taken? Blame Maersk. They're the ones who are too cheap to properly crew their ships.


Blame the pirates as they are responsible for this mess, not Maersk. Even if 30 men saw the pirates on the horizon, do you think that ship could outrun a rowboat with 2 100HP outboards?



I think it's not a matter of out running.

It's easy to board a big ship running straight.

But if you don't want to be boarded you won't be.

Wait until they're alongside, kick the helm away from the small boat, the stern will swing towards them. The wave alone will probably swamp them.
You can't just Kick the helm away with a 500' plus ship, they are not exactly a rowboat. Besides there was a show on the History channel or Discovery last year about the pirates. (they will probably do a rerun now) The pirates have ak-47s and rocket launchers. the ships are totally unarmed except for a fire hose. the crews are sitting ducks. GOD bless the U.S. Navy 3 shots 3 kills!!!!! :punk: :up:
Duengeon master
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Duengeon master wrote:You can't just Kick the helm away with a 500' plus ship, they are not exactly a rowboat. Besides there was a show on the History channel or Discovery last year about the pirates. (they will probably do a rerun now) The pirates have ak-47s and rocket launchers. the ships are totally unarmed except for a fire hose. the crews are sitting ducks. GOD bless the U.S. Navy 3 shots 3 kills!!!!! :punk: :up:


The only ships they have trouble taking are cruise ships because they are the one kind of ship on the sea that actually has adequate crew to keep watch.

MV Seabourn Spirit outmanuvered them despite being hit by 3 RPGs (not that an RPG is going to do much to a ship).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4409662.stm

MV Nautica just outran them (The Nautica and the Alabama both have a top speed of 18 knots)

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/afric ... index.html

The cruise ships see them coming and can get away because they keep watch. The cargo ships don't keep watch, in most cases the first time they know they're under attack is when the pirates open to door to the bridge.

Edit: Oh yeah, MV Seabourn Spirit destroyed one of the two attacking pirate speed boats by running it over.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: brckwlt On: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:12 pm

tvb wrote:
I dont have to do anything to make obama look bad. He is already a joke on the international scene. No one respects him.


You must be a member of the Sarah Palin Newspaper of the Month Reading Club to actually believe this.


Im not a subscriber, where do you sign up?
brckwlt
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: Rebuilt 1953 AA-130

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: Dann757 On: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:56 am

Six fifty caliber machine guns on each ship. Deck mounted, port and starboard. Bow, amidships, stern. Put them in a vault in port. Maybe $50,000 per ship to set up. And a couple cases of grenades. If this is too complicated, the same thing with dummy guns plainly visible.
Dann757
 

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: George-NJ On: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:32 am

THIS JUST IN>>>>

Sen. John F. Kerry will for now on be escorting ships with his swift boat, single handedly like he did in the old days...

<<<<
George-NJ
 

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: samhill On: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:45 am

G.W.Bush will be flying air support over the area. All is well.
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 am

The hardest thing for the pirates to understand is how Barak looks so much different from his Dad, Jimmie Carter. They act the same but look so much different!
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Obama admin considers Attacks on Somali Pirates’ Land Bases

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:59 am

Subject: FW: Obama Reaches Out to 'Moderate' Pirate Community








After maintaining his silence for two days, President Obama will soon make his first public statement about the pirate attack upon an U.S.-flagged vessel off the Horn of Africa. After several inquiries and a few well-placed bribes, Exurban League has received an early transcript of the President's remarks:



Good evening. As you know, early yesterday, Somali-based pirates attacked the Maersk Alabama, a freighter carrying relief supplies to Kenya. While we do not yet know all the details, the Alabama's crew re-took control of the vessel and forced the pirates off the ship.

Since the pirates are still holding the captain, I have sent FBI negotiators to facilitate his safe and speedy release. I assure his friends and family that I will not stop until this man-made disaster is resolved in a peaceful, tolerant and ecologically-sound manner.

Obviously, this incident has raised many concerns among Americans. There have been calls for justice and even violence against the misguided perpetrators. But such an emotional reaction has led to the disparagement of entire groups with which we are unfamiliar. We have seen this throughout history.

For too long, America has been too dismissive of the proud culture and invaluable contributions of the Pirate Community. Whether it is their pioneering work with prosthetics, husbandry of tropical birds or fanciful fashion sense, America owes a deep debt to Pirates.

The past eight years have shown a failure to appreciate the historic role of these noble seafarers. Instead of celebrating their entreprenuerial spirit and seeking to partner with them to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.

Some of us wonder if our current Overseas Contingency Operation would even be needed had the last administration not been so quick to label Pirates as "thieves," "terrorists" and worse. Such swashbucklaphobia can lead to tragic results, as we have seen this week.

To address this issue, I have instructed Vice President Joe Biden to create a cabinet-level Czar of Pirate Outreach and Buccaneer Interrelation. In addition, June 1-7 has been designated as Pirate Awareness Week, during which all federal buildings will fly the Jolly Roger and sponsor sensitivity training. Thankfully, my American Recovery and Reinvestment Act will fund free grog and hard tack for all attendees.

Finally, to all pirates listening to international broadcasts, shortwave services and ship-to-shore radio, let me say this:

Ahoy, me regret arr relationship has set sail in a scurvy manner. Arr people share many mutual 'alues and concerns on t' raging main. Perchance, could ye handsomely release the cap'n o' the ship and I assure that no harm will come t' ye or ye hearties. Let us smite t' reset button and launch our seabond on a new pegleg. Savvy? Godspeed t' ye and t' ye beauties. Aye, me parrot concurs.

http://exurbanleague.com/2009/04/09/oba ... ttack.aspx
Attachments
Opirate.jpg
(34.12 KiB) Viewed 2 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]12374[/nepathumb]
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska