June 15th - a date to watch?

June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: JJLL On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:55 am

coal berner posted this in another thread that caught my attention. The question is, how many mines will be open after June 15th.

"That goes for all of the deep mines there are only 10 now running The only one that might still be open after the 15 th
of June is UAE Harmony mine they are the biggest undergrond Anthracite Mine they also Union like most of the Surface mines all other deep mine are independent owned small mines that will not be able to afford a 45 to 55 K System
so if it goes threw that they have to have it installed well then most if not all will be shut down and if that happends
then most of the small breakers will be down to no coal to mine no coal to break "

Possibly, after June 15th 2009, if this bill passes - http://www.msha.gov/REGS/FEDREG/NOTICES ... -29943.asp mines will need expensive equipment to stay open. If you can't afford the equipment, you won't be allowed to operate.

Here's a bit of background on the bill...

On June 15, 2006, the President signed the MINER Act of 2006 (Pub. L. 109-236). The MINER Act requires that each underground coal mine operator have an approved Emergency Response Plan (ERP) that includes post-accident communications and post-accident tracking.

Further, the MINER Act requires that by June 15, 2009, each operator must submit a plan that provides for ``a post-accident communication system between underground personnel and surface personnel via a wireless two-way medium and an electronic tracking system that permits surface personnel to determine the location of any persons trapped underground, or set forth within the plan the reasons such provisions can not be adopted''.

What are you thought?
JJLL
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-360 Boiler

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:03 am

From your link.

As of December 12, 2008, approved electronic tracking systems are available. However, fully wireless communications technology is not sufficiently developed at this time, nor is it likely to be technologically feasible by June 15, 2009


So this bill will mandate you to use a technology that does not exist, that makes perfect sense. :roll:
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: tvb On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:02 am

They've amended it to allow alternative two way communications other than wireless at least until the technology becomes available. Here's the latest guidance:

http://www.msha.gov/regs/complian/ppls/ ... 9-V-01.asp
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III


Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: coal berner On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:55 am

tvb wrote:They've amended it to allow alternative two way communications other than wireless at least until the technology becomes available. Here's the latest guidance:

http://www.msha.gov/regs/complian/ppls/ ... 9-V-01.asp

There underground there is nothing that works two way radios cell phones and the system there talking about my
interfere with there RF Detonators which means setting of there shots charged exsplosives when they are setting them not good :shock:
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: PA COAL On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Fellow members Chris M. or Mike A. might have some current info on this but I have heard that for the time being it might not apply to the anthracite deep mines due to something with the regulations in the CFR.
PA COAL
 

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: brckwlt On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:43 pm

This better not happen. Why wont the govt do something to help the little man. Instead of making things harder for them.

Im glad i live close to uae harmony mines

i would imagine this would increase the price per ton?
brckwlt
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: Rebuilt 1953 AA-130

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: coal berner On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:11 pm

PA COAL wrote:Fellow members Chris M. or Mike A. might have some current info on this but I have heard that for the time being it might not apply to the anthracite deep mines due to something with the regulations in the CFR.

I talk to several Mine & breaker Owner on a weekly bases it is most likley going to go threw if it does they are going to leave MHSA shut them down and then go to court and leave a Judge decide over it .
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: coal berner On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:14 pm

brckwlt wrote:This better not happen. Why wont the govt do something to help the little man. Instead of making things harder for them.

Im glad i live close to uae harmony mines

i would imagine this would increase the price per ton?

Remember UAE have limits on how much coal you can buy they start at 2 ton max then go to 1 ton max Per local
Customer Also they might be closing or selling The mine so who knows what will Happend
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: brckwlt On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:41 pm

coal berner wrote:Remember UAE have limits on how much coal you can buy they start at 2 ton max then go to 1 ton max Per local
Customer Also they might be closing or selling The mine so who knows what will Happend



You can only buy two ton at a time ? then 1 ton per trip after that. Or do i have it all wrong
brckwlt
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: Rebuilt 1953 AA-130

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: coal berner On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:00 pm

brckwlt wrote:
coal berner wrote:Remember UAE have limits on how much coal you can buy they start at 2 ton max then go to 1 ton max Per local
Customer Also they might be closing or selling The mine so who knows what will Happend



You can only buy two ton at a time ? then 1 ton per trip after that. Or do i have it all wrong

Before the heating season starts they allow 2 tons per trip once the season starts like in OCT NOV. Then it will be 1 ton per trip or day
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: brckwlt On: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:19 pm

coal berner wrote:
brckwlt wrote:
coal berner wrote:Remember UAE have limits on how much coal you can buy they start at 2 ton max then go to 1 ton max Per local
Customer Also they might be closing or selling The mine so who knows what will Happend



You can only buy two ton at a time ? then 1 ton per trip after that. Or do i have it all wrong

Before the heating season starts they allow 2 tons per trip once the season starts like in OCT NOV. Then it will be 1 ton per trip or day



fair enough, is it still 150 a ton?
brckwlt
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: Rebuilt 1953 AA-130

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: Chris Murley On: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:25 am

i know we will still be running. dont get your panties in a bunch guys from what ive heard this is a guideline its not in the cfr its just a strong reccomendation.............. so far. i can see maybe harmony needing one but most of the deep mines are small. if im not there one day i can still tell you where everyone will be working!
Chris Murley
 

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: coal berner On: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:37 am

brckwlt wrote:
coal berner wrote:
Remember UAE have limits on how much coal you can buy they start at 2 ton max then go to 1 ton max Per local
Customer Also they might be closing or selling The mine so who knows what will Happend


You can only buy two ton at a time ? then 1 ton per trip after that. Or do i have it all wrong
Before the heating season starts they allow 2 tons per trip once the season starts like in OCT NOV. Then it will be 1 ton per trip or day


fair enough, is it still 150 a ton?

Was 145 a ton Back in Feb might be down 10 or so a Ton give them a call .

coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: coal berner On: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:53 am

Chris Murley wrote:i know we will still be running. dont get your panties in a bunch guys from what ive heard this is a guideline its not in the cfr its just a strong reccomendation.............. so far. i can see maybe harmony needing one but most of the deep mines are small. if im not there one day i can still tell you where everyone will be working!

Well Chris If it is not a big issue. Then I do not know why the owner's of B&B Anthracite Coal Co. Superior Coal Co. & Little Buck coal Co. Would be so Concerned About it then if it was no big issue It is only there liveihood on the line.
Maybe you could give them a call or stop by and tell them Not to Worry so much it is not a big issue.
I talked to the owner of little buck coal co this morning about it I can say this he is alot more Concerned about this issue
then you seem to be Aswell as is the owner of Superior Coal Co.
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: June 15th - a date to watch?

PostBy: cArNaGe On: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:00 am

And here I was hoping UAE would get rid of that 2 ton limit this summer when demand is lower.

O well.

I know Hudson is cleaner than any other coal I've gotten. The burning I'm not real sure of because I have very little demand for heat since burning it.
Taking out the ashes every three days is nice with UAE though. :D Thats almost worth the trip there.
cArNaGe