Wood'nCoal wrote:The tech from SECTV was here yesterday, no obvious problems found. He disconnected the line from the pole to the house to connect his test equipment to check the cable on the pole. Since then it's been OK, may have been a corroded connection there. He put in an order to replace the cable from the pole to the house just in case.
A couple years ago, we were experiencing problems for over a year, with our phone and DSL. We called and called and called several times to have it checked and fixed. Each time they came to the house, they replaced something different, starting with the simplest component, finally started checking the underground cable from house to pole. They "THINK" there might have been a break somewhere, but thought it was on the base of the pole, and spliced a new line in there and ran it up the pole. NOPE, still dropping DSL and static in the phone. Called them back out. This time, the supervisor was onsite, and he wanted EVERYTHING checked, not just from the pole-to-house, but back to the main switch. They have some kind of meter that can detect breaks underground, and he said he detected the break to be 10 feet BELOW the pole, towards the house. Under 5 feet of dirt. "NO PROBLEM" says I, "LET ME GO GET MY BACKHOE". They were relieved to here that, as one of the guys already started poking around the base of the pole with a shovel. So i dug 5 Ft down, and 10 Ft towards the house, and we found the problem; some kind of varmit had chewed thru the telephone wires! 5 FEET UNDERGROUND! After a year of putting up with bad service, we finally found the cause. Good thing I offered to dig up the wire, we might still be running half-speed, with a very static phone.