President's Speech to Students

President's Speech to Students

PostBy: rocketjeremy On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:03 am

Maybe it's just a stressful time of year but if I get one email from the superintendent of my school district going back and forth about the Obama speech to students I'm probably going to go out of my mind. As someone who works in education I understand that parents rights and wishes need to be taken into account for what we teach. However, at the same time if the message truly isn't going to be a plug for the democratic party why is there such an uproar over him doing this? I know there are lots of things he is doing that people don't believe in...hell there are many things he's doing that I don't approve of either. Some yes, some no. I mean it's my understanding that as an American I may not like all of his politics but when it comes to things like supporting high levels of education for all Americans that we should support it. Maybe I'm too young but when I talk to my parents and grandparents about how Americans pulled together during times like WW2 and people made sacrifices to strengthen us as a nation. Now granted maybe the government was a little different back then too but to me it seems these days the only "American" thing a lot of people know how to do these days is sit around and piss, moan, and point the finger at someone else. I've always seen intellectual debates on here from some of the few people I "know" with intelligence so......thoughts?! :D
rocketjeremy
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF-520
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: tvb On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:12 am

Further proof the republican party and it's blind followers have truly jumped the shark. With each passing outrage, they become less and less relevant and further disconnected from mainstream America.
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:01 am

Hey TVB, people that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Dann757
 


Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: tvb On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:30 pm

Why don't you describe my glass house for me.
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:57 pm

tvb wrote:Why don't you describe my glass house for me.


No offense, but I seem to remember the sound of shattering sheet glass coming from your direction during the last administration.

It's not THAT the president wants to talk to the kids, it's the lesson plan that was designed around it. It has been changed since it originally came out, but the plan was to ask kids how they could serve the president. It's been a while, but from what I remember, it doesn't work that way. The government is supposed to work for us. And I'm well aware that we are miles away from that, but that's also no reason to pitch it altogether.

And for anyone to say what he will or won't say, is wrong. His comments won't be posted until Monday. Now, it seems like he'd have all them already written and would be able to post them already.

This leads me to believe he either doesn't want parents to have time to react to them, or he's rewriting them because of the uproar.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm

jpete wrote:It's not THAT the president wants to talk to the kids, it's the lesson plan that was designed around it. It has been changed since it originally came out, but the plan was to ask kids how they could serve the president.


Don't try to confuse him with the facts! He'd rather blabber on about how crazy republicans are. I had no problem with him talking to them but, yes I had a problem with the written assignment in the original plan. It all comes down to whose ox is getting gored. If Bush had planned a speech to children with an assignment of how can they could serve the president, TVB would have had a hissy. No one wants their children "serving" a president that you don't have faith in and don't believe in.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:24 pm

rocketjeremy wrote: However, at the same time if the message truly isn't going to be a plug for the democratic party why is there such an uproar over him doing this?


Because the policy of the republican party right now is to attack on every issue no matter how benign.

For several days Sean Hannity et al went on about the President throwing out a first pitch at a ball game.

I'd say the democrats will be in trouble based on their policies and performance in 2010, but really if the opponents are this GOP, then they have nothing to worry about.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: tvb On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:35 pm

Bush, while pretty much dumb as a shrub, was sitting President and as such, I don't think I would have been protesting him speaking to school children telling them to study hard and stay in school.

After all, it's important that our school children know that, “Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?” George W Bush, Florence, S.C., Jan. 11, 2000 or You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.

I still wouldn't have protested however.
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: tvb On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:39 pm

If Bush had planned a speech to children with an assignment of how can they could serve the president, TVB would have had a hissy. No one wants their children "serving" a president that you don't have faith in and don't believe in.


Not true at all. My kids are pretty good at seeing through the silliness of the Republicans and would have laughed such a suggestion off on their own without my prompting or protesting. I still would make sure they were present during his speech however because like him or not, he was the sitting President and sometimes you gotta suffer the fools out simple respect.

In fact, when the younger one was not allowed to watch the inauguration of Obama, it turned into a pretty good lesson around the dinner table how some people are really poor losers. Now they don't start until Wednesday so I'm not sure if they will be watching tape of Obama's speech, but if not, the same lesson will be taught around the table Wednesday evening.
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: coalkirk On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:13 pm

ErikLaurence wrote:For several days Sean Hannity et al went on about the President throwing out a first pitch at a ball game.

I'd say the democrats will be in trouble based on their policies and performance in 2010, but really if the opponents are this GOP, then they have nothing to worry about.


Well I can't argue your point about "this GOP" because they have surely lost their way. But unless you have blinders on, this current bunch of Dems are pretty pathetic all on their own. Pelosi is an absolute joke. Even my lib wife says she is an embarrassment. Reid in a duel of wits is unarmed. Rangel is about to be indicted for tax evasion. Damn few of Obamas inner circle paid their taxes until they got caught during the vetting process. And the big anchilata himself, Obama has been shown to be a great campaigner and orator but a lousy politician as far as advancing an agenda. His approval is dropping like Elliott Spitzers pants.
The time is right for a third party to emerge if the dems and republicans who make all the rules allow it. I'm not hopeful. It looks like we are doomed to just keep shifting back in foorth from one group of incompetents to another.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:10 pm

coalkirk wrote:
jpete wrote:It's not THAT the president wants to talk to the kids, it's the lesson plan that was designed around it. It has been changed since it originally came out, but the plan was to ask kids how they could serve the president.


Don't try to confuse him with the facts! He'd rather blabber on about how crazy republicans are. I had no problem with him talking to them but, yes I had a problem with the written assignment in the original plan. It all comes down to whose ox is getting gored. If Bush had planned a speech to children with an assignment of how can they could serve the president, TVB would have had a hissy. No one wants their children "serving" a president that you don't have faith in and don't believe in.


George H.W. Bush and his written assignment (October 1, 1991)

"Let me know how you're doing. Write me a letter. I'm serious about this one. Write me a letter about ways you can help us achieve our goals."

http://www.jackrice.org/blog/2009/9/5/w ... r-goa.html
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: Black_And_Blue On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:37 pm

jpete covered it well.

If Obama wants to tell kids to study hard and get A's or encourage physical achievement no one will object as these are laudable goals.

It's the suggested study plan material and after viewing activities that are the root of the ire.
Black_And_Blue
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska 140

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:34 pm

ErikLaurence wrote:
George H.W. Bush and his written assignment (October 1, 1991)

"Let me know how you're doing. Write me a letter. I'm serious about this one. Write me a letter about ways you can help us achieve our goals."

http://www.jackrice.org/blog/2009/9/5/w ... r-goa.html


Still not a lesson plan proposed by the Department of Education. You remember them right? They're the ones sucking up the dollars so your kids suck on a world stage.....
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: tvb On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Pete, I'm curious if you have kids and if so, do they attend that socialist institution we call public school?
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: President's Speech to Students

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:55 pm

tvb wrote:Pete, I'm curious if you have kids and if so, do they attend that socialist institution we call public school?


Yes. And yes.

And if I think it is hurting them more than helping them, I'll pull them out and educate them myself.

I'm already well aware of the state laws governing this and have assembled the required materials.

They enjoy the social interaction and I believe it is good for them. But if I think there is an ulterior agenda, I'll pull them out whether they like it or not.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice