At nearly $9 per 50lb bag...well thats alot of cash or $310/ton.
I think you'll find that's closer to $360/ton than $310/ton. Even up here in the sticks one can buy Blaschak bagged for $6/40# bag. I thought that was crazy!
Buying 50lb bags its $8.99 just down the road from me - but discounted by the tonnage - $325 so a bit of a savings when bought in quantity
as for a dirty little secret - I've gotten the following comments from people (friends,relatives,wife)
1) The Wife - Are you sure its safe and your not gonna kill us ?
2) The brother-in-laws wife - Isn't the fumes poisonous ?
3) The co-worker - its not being green or earth friendly
To which I replied in the following order
2) yes but I dont expect you to breath the top of the chimney gases any more than you do with wood
3) the idea of not depending on country's 6k miles away for oil that hate americans anyways makes me sleep a little bit better at night knowing maybe in some small way I am making a difference...