Happy to announce my first version of the fuel calculator. There's not much improvement over many you might find online with a few exceptions.
- Separate inputs for bulk and bagged coal so you can even compare the costs of bulk vs. bagged if you want.
- Separate inputs for natural gas based on either Therm or Mcf as apparently it is billed differently in some areas.
- BTU input for solid fuels.
On the short list to add:
- Explanations for the calculator and the fields.
- Reverse calculations based on current costs, for example if you know it costs you $400 to heat your home with natural gas for one month you'll be able to find out what the cost would be for the other fuels based on the values used in the calculator.
On the longer list to add:
- Heat loss calculations.
- Integrate a control panel option where you'll be able to store long term data such as coal used, coal cost, region of the country, square footage, insulation etc. From this data I will be able to combine it with others and produce average costs for coal in areas, how much people are using based on square footage, insulation and all kids of other statistics.
If you have any suggestions or notice any bugs please let me know. It should only accept sane numbers and throw an error if you make any mistakes. Please try and break it.