LsFarm wrote:Any new news or updates on the Hybrid boiler's performance ??
Well, not a whole lot of news. I did brush down the firebox and tubes today and removed about 1/8" of soot/fly ash. It was fairly easy and with the cleanout door opposite the flue outlet, all the really fine ash and soot got sucked up the stack rather than into my face. The rest I just shoveled out of the base. I let the fire die down and went excavating in the firepot to see if I had any blocked tuyere openings or clinker stuck in there as it had been burning "funny" the last day or two. I didn't find anything with my limited search and just removed some of the loose ash from the firebox.
I did learn that I was messing around with the fire too much when I cleaned it. I'd remove the clinker which only took a few moments and then I'd continue to futz with it, pushing ash around, herding up little pieces of coke, and digging for gold nuggets around the firepot.
I read you are supposed to push the loose ash up towards the firepot so it would clinker. Towards
is the key word - not over
the fire. The next time the stoker would run, the loose ash would fuse and form a clinker right over the pot that would grow quite quickly.
I definitely will be adding a ceramic board reflector of some sort ASAP - it will be necessary especially when the weather warms and the stoker cycles less often and for shorter periods. I also think that coal with smaller overall size would burn better. This coal does tend to coke and stick together a bit more than I expected, but hopefully a heat reflector and additional air might help.
It is not as "set and forget" as anthracite burning, but once I get on the level part of the learning curve, it won't be much more work, just different. I make more work for myself because I can't leave well enough alone!