I'm in the home stretch now! But good grief! I can't believe how long (and how much work) this project has been!! I suppose it's a lot easier when you just buy something, install it and light it. Bah! Wussies!
Last night's entertainment was installation of the chimney. I thought I'd leave work a bit early and have it mostly done by dark, giving myself about 1-1/2 hours. Mind you, all I had to do was cut the hole in the roof that had been previously laid out, trim the shingles back and install the flashing and run the insulated pipe up and out. The ceiling support was already installed. Well, 3 hours later (in the dark and it's starting to snow) I'm still screwing around on the roof with the shingles and flashing. Trim the shingles, place the flashing, go up in the attic, stick the pipe through,
still not plumb, go back up on the roof, trim the shingles some more to get the flashing up higher, lather, rinse, repeat....and repeat..... Finally I took the angle grinder/cutoff wheel and "custom fit" the flashing the last bit. The "problem" was the flashing is for up to 6/12 pitch. Well, I have 6/12 pitch. The other flashing for over 6/12 is WAY too much, so I'm stuck with a marginal fit-up. It worked out just fine in the end, but was a lot more hassle than I expected.
The plumbing is 99% complete, I only have to tap into the house supply for the fill valve assembly and install the vents on the runs in the basement. The fan coil is installed and plumbed with only some sealing needed around the duct edges. I measured the temp rise of the furnace after the fan coil was installed. It's definitely higher than it was, but not excessive. Spec is 40 to 70 degrees rise and I measured right around 60~62 degrees. I was concerned that it would restrict the airflow too much but on the heating blower speed it's OK. I'll still remove it for summer A/C use.
Getting the boiler on the base was a whole 'nuther adventure, 1 part red-neck engineering and 2 parts Darwin Awards candidate, I built a rolling gantry out of 2x6 and 2x4 lumber to hoist the boiler off the dolly high enough to where it could then be rolled over the base and set down. It was constantly trying to flip over and squash me due to one pair of casters (fixed) being slightly smaller than the other (swivel) and I was too lazy to add a spacer shim and also by having the hoist strap wrapped over to the "short" side. Otherwise it worked really well.
The only thing left is the controls and electrical. The control box/PLC is built and programmed, and the unistrut is mounted and ready for it. After the last few details are wrapped up and I make my coal run next week, I should be makin' smoke by next weekend!