Fire Safe Cigarettes

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: SMITTY On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:02 am

........And the 500 - 700 non-smokers killed each year by the careless actions of smokers, and the billions of dollars of property owned by non-smokers destroyed by the careless actions of smokers.......

....that were caused by MORONS.

Don't penalize the responsible for the actions of the stupid. :idea:

Are you running for a political position in MA? :lol:
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: Richard S. On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:12 am

tvb wrote:And the 500 - 700 non-smokers killed each year by the careless actions of smokers, and the billions of dollars of property owned by non-smokers destroyed by the careless actions of smokers, or don't they matter to you?


I consider my driving skills to be superior to most and my driving record reflects that. My suggestion is any driver that cannot demonstrate skills equal to mine should be heavily restricted in the types of vehicles they drive, where they can drive, how much they can drive and since they are more likely to cause an accident that will involve me because of their recklessness, ineptness or lack of coordination should pick up the tab for my increased insurance. Matter of fact since I am more likely to avoid accidents that may have been caused by such drivers they should pay me for saving them money.

Sound good?
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 am

Richard S. wrote:
tvb wrote:And the 500 - 700 non-smokers killed each year by the careless actions of smokers, and the billions of dollars of property owned by non-smokers destroyed by the careless actions of smokers, or don't they matter to you?


I consider my driving skills to be superior to most and my driving record reflects that. My suggestion is any driver that cannot demonstrate skills equal to mine should be heavily restricted in the types of vehicles they drive, where they can drive, how much they can drive and since they are more likely to cause an accident that will involve me because of their recklessness, ineptness or lack of coordination should pick up the tab for my increased insurance. Matter of fact since I am more likely to avoid accidents that may have been caused by such drivers they should pay me for saving them money.

Sound good?



But that situation exists. There are different classes of license. You can't drive an 18 wheeler without a special license. Nor can you drive a motorcycle without a special license. In addition, your insurance premiums reflect your superior driving record.

Just because some people can successfully operate a vehicle drunk doesn't mean drunk driving should be legal.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket


Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: Richard S. On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 am

ErikLaurence wrote:But that situation exists. There are different classes of license. You can't drive an 18 wheeler without a special license. Nor can you drive a motorcycle without a special license. In addition, your insurance premiums reflect your superior driving record.



Having a license does not equal being a good driver, just as you have idiots driving cars you idiots driving large trucks. It's probably less of percentage especially when you get into the independent operators but none the less they still exist. Although my insurance premiums are quite low I wouldn't need insurance if everyone drove like me.

The point is this notion that we penalize everyone for actions of a few is absurd.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:42 am

Richard S. wrote:
The point is this notion that we penalize everyone for actions of a few is absurd.


But you must admit is is pretty much SOP.


If there were no speed limit most people would not drive 120 MPH.

If it were not illegal most people would not steal.

Most laws are passed to control the actions of a few.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: Pete69 On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Here is a funny thought. The bulk tobacco I used to smoke didn't have the chemicals in it to keep it burning, like the old smokes used to have in them, so they would always go out if I wasn't dragging on them.
So they used to put chemicals in the tobacco to keep them burning when not being dragged on...
Now they put chemicals on the papers to make them go out if not being dragged on...
And if they just left the chemicals out????
So whose idea was it to put this fire safe chemical on the paper anyway? It wouldn't be anybody that had anything to do with the company's producing it would it?
Pete69
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Baker/Vermont Castings/Chubby
Stove/Furnace Model: fireside /VigilantII/Chubby

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:08 pm

coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: Richard S. On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Pete69 wrote:So whose idea was it to put this fire safe chemical on the paper anyway? It wouldn't be anybody that had anything to do with the company's producing it would it?


Apparently they have been sued for this and at least one was successful:

http://www.baby-seat-injury.com/images/ ... eprint.pdf

In the suit filed in state court here,
lawyers for the girl blamed the fire on
the defective design of a Marlboro 100
cigarette, which like other brands is
intentionally made to burn down to the
filter even when not being puffed. The
lawsuit claimed that the child's mother,
Shelly Moore, inadvertently allowed
the cigarette to fall on the car seat,
where it continued to smolder after she
got out of the car.

Philip Morris contended that there
was no proof a cigarette caused the
fire, and that no matter the cause,
Moore was to blame for leaving her
child unattended


Of course the mother was not to blame for this but instead the company. It's like blaming GE that your kid got burned by the pot of boiling water you left unattended for them pull off the stove. Nobody wants to take personal responsibility for their own actions and the lawyers keep pulling the old handle on the judicial slot machine.

The next thing is they'll be suing the cigarette comapnies for the chemicals added to not make them burn.

I hate to sound like conspiracy nut but certainly sounds like a plausible way to put cigarette companies out of business.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: Pete69 On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Now if they would only outlaw stupidity, we wouldn't be having this conversation. :lol:
But then I might be in jail. :cry:
I chose option three, live and let live. Oh wait that wasn't on the ballet.
Pete69
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Baker/Vermont Castings/Chubby
Stove/Furnace Model: fireside /VigilantII/Chubby

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: tvb On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:10 pm

Richard S. wrote:
tvb wrote:And the 500 - 700 non-smokers killed each year by the careless actions of smokers, and the billions of dollars of property owned by non-smokers destroyed by the careless actions of smokers, or don't they matter to you?


I consider my driving skills to be superior to most and my driving record reflects that. My suggestion is any driver that cannot demonstrate skills equal to mine should be heavily restricted in the types of vehicles they drive, where they can drive, how much they can drive and since they are more likely to cause an accident that will involve me because of their recklessness, ineptness or lack of coordination should pick up the tab for my increased insurance. Matter of fact since I am more likely to avoid accidents that may have been caused by such drivers they should pay me for saving them money.

Sound good?


Crappy drivers get into more accidents, et more tickets, and pay more in insurance. What was your point again?
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: mikeandgerry On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:22 pm

tvb wrote:
Once again the government feels the need to save stupid people from themselves.


And the 500 - 700 non-smokers killed each year by the careless actions of smokers, and the billions of dollars of property owned by non-smokers destroyed by the careless actions of smokers, or don't they matter to you?




Are you foolish enough to think you can legislate away 500-700 accidental deaths out of a population of 300 million?

It is statistically insignificant. Or doesn't reason matter to you?
mikeandgerry
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: Dann757 On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:38 pm

I don't want to argue here, just those tobaccy plant pictures make me want to smoke oh no.
My buddy and I both quit, sometimes he asks me to describe buying, opening the pack and smoking a delicious Marlboro Red. HAHAHHAA Just to remember the incomparable pleasure of smoking. Now I have to tell myself: Every smoker has emphysema to some extent. Irreversible lung damage. I have to remember waking up coughing in the middle of the night; horrible feeling.
Dann757
 

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: mikeandgerry On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:07 pm

ErikLaurence wrote:
Richard S. wrote:
mikeandgerry wrote: why don't we just ban them?


Well besides the taxes they wouldn't collect you'd have 10's of millions people addicted to a drug that has been compared to heroin. You'd create a huge a black market for product that could be grown and produced right here which would inevitably lead to crime, violence etc.


Not to mention the overwhelming success of other similar bans on things like alcohol, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, and so forth. The 18th amendment was such a rousing success.


So now that a decade has passed since the left declared cigarettes defective, stripped huge sums from the manufacturers with an agreement to fund damages, the left further finds that the cigarette is more defective?

Does anyone see the same immoral pattern of extortion here that I do?

The cig manufacturers are immoral in their engineering of the cigarette to hook the unsuspecting but the left wingers are immoral in perpetuating the sale of a defective product for the revenues.

The cig manufacturers started off innocently enough but went afoul. They needed correction. The left, however, have never been innocent. They are merely thugs.
mikeandgerry
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson Anthratube 130-M

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: Richard S. On: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:10 pm

tvb wrote:Crappy drivers get into more accidents, et more tickets, and pay more in insurance. What was your point again?


I wouldn't need insurance or the insurance I might have would be next to nothing if it weren't for their crappy driving. They are costing me money therefore their driving privileges should be curtailed or revoked.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Fire Safe Cigarettes

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 am

Makes perfect sense to me.
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler