Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:21 pm

ErikLaurence wrote:
jpete wrote:Let's face it, heroin doesn't make you feel good. It makes you puke and pass out.

But some people just have a need to rebel against everything. My step sister is/was one. Her life is a mess but she still HAS to go against the grain.


I don't know about heroin.

But 15 years ago I had some sinus surgery (FYI not fun, very painful) and they had me on morphine for about the first 36 hours post op. I totally understand how that is addictive. Pharmacologicaly morphine and heroin are very similar. Morphine not only does an incredible job killing pain but it makes you not care about the pain you do have.


Not having ever done drugs, I have to take my partner at work word for it. He's a bit older than me and grew up when heroin started coming around. He said people shot up, puked, and passed out.

I get used to painkillers fairly quickly. When I had my wisdom teeth out, they gave me Percoset. The first day I took one and slept for about 12 hours. By the third day, I was washing two down with Jack Daniels and barely feeling it.

That's another reason I stayed away from drugs because if I decided to enjoy them, I would be the guy having to do a truckload of blow. :D

In fact, I'm taking Tramadol right now. The first time I took one pill, I was loopy for a day. Now I can take two and I barely notice.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:42 pm

I've done just about everything under the sun except H or meth. I'm neither proud, nor ashamed of it. Where I grew up we partied like rock stars everyday for no good reason. Pot, pills, crack, powder coke, acid, mushrooms ... & I started with pot at age 13. I actually got high before I ever got drunk! Was easier to get. Pot was fun at first, but the more I did it, the dumber I felt. :lol: Stereotypical....

Had a bad acid trip at age 13 -- that was a rough one! :fear: I got to experience what it feels like right before you die. Intense, all-consuming fear. I was basically temporarily scitzophrenic - hearing voices, seeing things that weren't there. I had done it 4 times before that & it was great! Higher & happier than I have ever been when it first hits, then the visuals kicked in. But this last time I took a full hit of some potent stuff ...... an hour went by & nothing ... then another hour ... nothing. So I started getting pissed, thinking the kid sold me a piece of paper. So I hit my buddy up for a joint, & once the joint was gone, the acid hit me like a ton of bricks -- none of the high, happy stuff ... just straight into intense visuals & thinking everyone is after you. I'll never forget that .... That was over 20 years ago -- haven't touched the stuff since!

Crack is a weird one ... you never know how someone is going to react to it. Sure, everyone will get just as high .... but it's when they start coming down that you see the differences. People crawling on the floor, picking at the carpet thinking they dropped a rock (after it's all gone & they're jonesing for another hit), some others robbing a convenience store for crack money & doing a decade in prison, & one friend dead after trying to outrun police after being spotted at 2 am in the ghetto trying to buy .....

Myself .... I could put the pipe down & walk away no problem. I had the urge to do more, & felt bummed out that it was gone, but I never resorted to what some others have done. Haven't touched a thing in over 10 years & have no desire to. Too expensive! :lol:

After all that, I'm still here! :?
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:46 pm

jpete wrote:He said people shot up, puked, and passed out.

In fact, I'm taking Tramadol right now. The first time I took one pill, I was loopy for a day. Now I can take two and I barely notice.

Heroin is a lot like the drug your taking. If you did it once a month, you would puke and pass out. You also would not become addicted to it. If you did it 4 times in a week, you would not be getting sick after that. You would however, develop a physical need for it.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea


Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: djackman On: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:32 am

ErikLaurence wrote:My understanding is the opiates (heroin, morphine and such) are very addictive but not that damaging to the body. People with those addictions (if they can afford them) are generally mellow and not problematic to society unless they are cut off and forced into crime to pay for their addiction.


You're joking, right? Addicts don't think about being able to afford their drug of choice.

I'd be all for donating a bag of dope to any addict that wants a free fix -no charge for the added strychnine! The courts & revolving door rehab wouldn't appreciate the loss of money a dead junkie represents.
djackman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: 1980 vintage Tarm
Stove/Furnace Model: FT22 (aka 202) installed!

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:59 am

djackman wrote:
ErikLaurence wrote:My understanding is the opiates (heroin, morphine and such) are very addictive but not that damaging to the body. People with those addictions (if they can afford them) are generally mellow and not problematic to society unless they are cut off and forced into crime to pay for their addiction.


You're joking, right? Addicts don't think about being able to afford their drug of choice.




That's precisely my point. The addiction and the drug is not the problem. The problem is the lengths that people will go to to feed that addiction. You don't hear about rich white kids knocking off 7/11's to feed their heroin habit. It's not because they're not doing heroin it's because they have the money to feed their addiction without resorting to crime.

From my standpoint it's your body, do as you wish. If you kill yourself, that's sad for you (but predictable). There are no shortage of people killing themselves with legal drugs like alcohol and tobacco already. But don't OUI. Don't commit crimes in order to feed your habit. And you better be in a separate health insurance pool than me.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: Berlin On: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:52 am

I believe that our drug policies overall are good for the country. I am STRONGLY in favor of keeping pot criminalized. I think the problem of why success in the "war on drugs" has been virtually nonexistant is due to fundamentally flawed and/or weak enforcement strategies among other things. One of the things i'm working on right now are alternatives to the "flip up and plea bargain down" method of breaking up drug rings. btw, the declaration of independence is not written on hemp.
Berlin
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: Pete69 On: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:36 pm

[quote="Berlin"] btw, the declaration of independence is not written on hemp.]

It is true that the final draft was engrossed on parchment. But given the fact that until the late 1800's 90% of all paper was made from hemp, one can reasonably conclude that the the first drafts were written on hemp. News papers, paper money, stocks, bonds, and bibles were also printed on hemp.
If you want to know the truth about why it was made illegal, just follow the money.
If you want to know why it will probably not be legalized, keep following the money.
Pete69
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Baker/Vermont Castings/Chubby
Stove/Furnace Model: fireside /VigilantII/Chubby

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: jpete On: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Pete69 wrote:
Berlin wrote: btw, the declaration of independence is not written on hemp.]

It is true that the final draft was engrossed on parchment. But given the fact that until the late 1800's 90% of all paper was made from hemp, one can reasonably conclude that the the first drafts were written on hemp. News papers, paper money, stocks, bonds, and bibles were also printed on hemp.
If you want to know the truth about why it was made illegal, just follow the money.
If you want to know why it will probably not be legalized, keep following the money.


It was almost your duty as a citizen to grow hemp. I read somewhere about all the hemp it took to build a ship. The sails, rope, etc. Can't build a Navy without hemp!
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: Pete69 On: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Berlin wrote: I think the problem of why success in the "war on drugs" has been virtually nonexistant is due to fundamentally flawed and/or weak enforcement strategies among other things.


I don't think that it is in the best financial interest of anyone employed in the "war on drugs" to actually win.
Success is on a month to month basis and is contingent on how many assets can be confiscated (STOLEN) to further fund the war and keep the money flowing.
Job security is at stake here. And in that regard, we've been rather successful.
Pete69
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Baker/Vermont Castings/Chubby
Stove/Furnace Model: fireside /VigilantII/Chubby

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: cokehead On: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:30 am

I have been in a drug testing program for over 20 years because of my job and always tested clean. I have no desire to do "recreational" drugs. Beer and mixed drinks where enough to mellow me out after work. I have reached a point where I am loosing my taste even for beer which is a fairly new thing for me. I haven't had a problem with certain drugs being illegal. Lately two friends have been going through chemotherapy and radiation for cancer. That has made me look at hemp differently than the rest of the "illegal" drugs. There has been a great debate over the medical use of hemp and I can see no reasonable argument against it. If someone has cancer, what do they have to loose? To me it seems criminal that the government would stand in the way of someone trying to cure themselves. It is government that should be on trial and jailed, not someone trying to heal themselves! I am providing a link to a video about just that. It is very long and seems a bit like an infomercial but I think it makes good points. It is time to legalize hemp (oil) for medical use.

cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: grumpy On: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Anyone want to guess who is one of the largest importer of drugs in this country?
grumpy
 

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: cokehead On: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:18 pm

I googled it. This was one of the first hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_drug_trafficking
Last edited by cokehead on Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: rberq On: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:20 pm

grumpy wrote:Anyone want to guess who is one of the largest importer of drugs in this country?

My guess: Senior citizens, importing nominally from Canada, though the drugs may ship from places like England and New Zealand in addition to Canada.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: grumpy On: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:48 pm

cokehead wrote:I googled it. This was one of the first hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_drug_trafficking



BINGO....
grumpy
 

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: cokehead On: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:15 pm

So because the CIA allegedly deals with the devil, does that mean no medical use of hemp? Is that what it really comes down to, protecting turf, sources of income, whether it be big pharma or the shadowy world of crime? I can see why big pharma and Crime Inc. would both be against it (legalization). Not enough people really seem to give a woop to make it change. Mostly the Libertarians are the main voice calling for legalization. Personally I'd like to open up space in the prisons by releasing otherwise law abiding users to make room for the violent types. That would just make too much sense. It would never happen the way the world really works. I'm depressing myself.
Last edited by Richard S. on Tue May 08, 2012 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed color formatting
cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502


cron