Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: grumpy On: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Illegal drugs = profits for all..
grumpy
 

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: cokehead On: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:56 pm

After watching this video I now know propaganda has come a long way.



The link above doesn't go to the very end. If you want to see the final tragedies at the end watch the video below,.....colorized no less.
Last edited by cokehead on Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: jpete On: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:26 am

Legalize everything. All the "it'll be anarchy" Chicken Littles are wrong.

Take away the stigma. Take away the taboo and most people don't care anymore. The reason people move to the next thing and the next thing is because whatever it was they originally wanted was too hard to obtain.

Some people will always want and get drugs. It's simply unavoidable. That's how you get meth heads doing science experiments in Coke bottles in the pharmacy parking lot.

Because that's the cheapest and easiest high they could find.

Here's the solution. Fewer laws, harsher punishments. Punishment for things that are ACTUALLY crimes. We already have laws against DUI. That "I" is "influence" and that includes beer, heroin, or your Ambien prescription. Why do we need anything else?
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice


Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: cokehead On: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:25 am

[I think one of the biggest benefits of decriminalization would be the "de-funding" of organized crime. That should reduce violent crime, especially in our cities where gangs have turf wars over distribution territories.

I'm a little uneasy with decriminalizing Everything. I think things like crack and crystal meth should stay illegal. They do cause violent behavior and serious heath issues. It is the violence I'm most concerned with. I knew a very nice person who's jealous crackhead boyfriend murdered her because she wanted to break up with him. He took a baseball bat to her and just for got measure smashed her head with a sewing machine. I can't fathom how any sane person could do that to anyone, especially someone you supposidly loved.
Last edited by Richard S. on Tue May 08, 2012 1:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Removed color formatting
cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: rberq On: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:55 pm

cokehead wrote:I think one of the biggest benefits of decriminalization would be the "de-funding" of organized crime. That should reduce violent crime, especially in out cities where gangs have turf wars over distribution territories.

Not to mention the overnight cleaning up of Mexico.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: jpete On: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:09 pm

cokehead wrote:I think one of the biggest benefits of decriminalization would be the "de-funding" of organized crime. That should reduce violent crime, especially in our cities where gangs have turf wars over distribution territories.

I'm a little uneasy with decriminalizing Everything. I think things like crack and crystal meth should stay illegal. They do cause violent behavior and serious heath issues. It is the violence I'm most concerned with. I knew a very nice person who's jealous crackhead boyfriend murdered her because she wanted to break up with him. He took a baseball bat to her and just for got measure smashed her head with a sewing machine. I can't fathom how any sane person could do that to anyone, especially someone you supposidly loved.


That stuff happens anyway. With or without crack. If that's the reasoning, ban alcohol as well because it's just as likely.

My father was the jealous type, and a drunk. My earliest childhood memory is of my father smashing my mothers head into the side of his '65 Econoline van.

But my mother gave as good as she got because she was a drunk too. The last time they were in the same room together, besides my wedding, and I made sure they stayed FAR apart, he was choking her against the wall, and she was smashing him in the head with the wall phone. :D

My entire childhood was a "pay per view" event based on alcohol.

The biggest reason why drugs will NEVER be legalized is because it will defund law enforcement. There's too much money made putting people in prison to ever make it legal.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: cokehead On: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 pm

jpete wrote:
cokehead wrote:I'm a little uneasy with decriminalizing Everything. I think things like crack and crystal meth should stay illegal. They do cause violent behavior and serious heath issues.


That stuff happens anyway. With or without crack. If that's the reasoning, ban alcohol as well because it's just as likely.


You make a good point............I'm just having a hard time to get there from here even though Iogically you are right. I'm thinking if I have a problem with legalizing crack and c-meth so would the general public. It would be a hard sell. One step at a time.
cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:34 pm

cokehead wrote:
jpete wrote:
cokehead wrote:I'm a little uneasy with decriminalizing Everything. I think things like crack and crystal meth should stay illegal. They do cause violent behavior and serious heath issues.


That stuff happens anyway. With or without crack. If that's the reasoning, ban alcohol as well because it's just as likely.


You make a good point............I'm just having a hard time to get there from here even though Iogically you are right. I'm thinking if I have a problem with legalizing crack and c-meth so would the general public. It would be a hard sell. One step at a time.


All that stuff came about because one thing was illegal, so they moved to the next. And while we are at it, why is powdered cocaine one punishment and rock cocaine a different punishment?

They can't even get their punishments straight! :D
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Drug policies -- good for the country, or just repression?

PostBy: jpete On: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Five years ago, Portugal took a half step toward legalization by decriminalizing drug USE, but not drug DEALING. The results have been basically positive.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... nalization
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice