Abortion

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Abortion

PostBy: cokehead On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:33 am

I was doing research on a hernia repair I had done a little over a month ago on Youtube and accidently can across a video showing aborted fetuses in Spanish. I posted it in inappropiate place on this forum and it was rightly removed. Although this is not the same video it is similiar in its content. It is graphic and disturbing. Reality sucks.

<removed dead link>
Last edited by Richard S. on Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>
cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502

Re: Abortion

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:03 pm

I'll only say keep it on topic and keep it civil. This particular forum was purposely put here for such debate.

Richard S. wrote:

Welcome to the "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates".

If you're going to post in this forum have an argument, this forum will be moderated for content much more than the standard forums. Flaming, abuse or any other nonsense no matter how minor will not be tolerated under any circumstances. This is not to say any opinions will be censored, it's to say you better have a opinion and reason for your opinion. Keep your posts and discussions at a higher level and be sure they have significant discussion value.

Those not following along with these rules will have there posting privileges in this forum revoked.





--edit----
Let's start from scratch here. I've removed the mostly irrelevant or off topic remarks regarding whether this should be posted here. I'm not going to censor what people want to discuss.

Some posts also briefly addressed the topic but I have no interest in making edits to peoples comments so they got nuked, feel free to repost them without the off topic banter.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Abortion

PostBy: SMITTY On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:15 pm

I have to admit, I'm a fencewalker on the issue. I'm not 100% against it (especially in cases of rape or incest), but I'm not really 100% for it either. It's a tough one ..... I see all the time what happens to unwanted kids. The state I live in has systems set up to deal with those kids (at taxpayers expense), so there's more of that in cities around here than there might be in other states. The kids grow up a burden to the system: welfare and other public assistance as an infant, then they get older & graduate to the legal system, then inevitably, we pay for their housing in jail for xx amount of years.

But it's tough to make that justification for killing someone, and not even giving them a chance ....

I also have some close friends & relatives that had the procedure done .... it's not easy on anyone, but in these separate situations, I agreed with their reasons. It actually saved alot worse heartache for both the unborn & the parents. I can't explain it without airing someones dirty laundry, so I'll just leave it at that.
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler


Re: Abortion

PostBy: cokehead On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:24 pm

I might be simple minded but I believe in protecting the innocent and punishing the guilty. That is a core belief. I know life can get complicated. Thankyou for your post.
cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502

Re: Abortion

PostBy: AdkCoal On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:55 pm

They are not innocent until they are viable outside the womb.
AdkCoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KAA-2

Re: Abortion

PostBy: tvb On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:52 pm

If you are against abortion, don't have one.
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Abortion

PostBy: topper On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:38 pm

women make their call - you can't legislate morality
topper
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 503

Re: Abortion

PostBy: wlape3 On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:55 pm

On a personal level I am against abortion and would do everything I could to avoid it. However, I will not pass judgment others. It is a matter of conscience.
wlape3
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: 140 auger, forced hot air

Re: Abortion

PostBy: Paulie On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:21 pm

Abortion as birth control is evil, make no mistake. Now, in cases of rape and incest, no question that it should be available.
Choice choice, I hear it all the time. Many choices along the way, choose to have sex, choose to use or not use birth control,
etc. How many choices do you need?
It is a hoot that questioning the appropriateness of a subject is edited, yet not the subject that is questionable. What do
I know? Political correctness has reached the coal forum too. THAT surprises me as I thought this would be a hold out and a
standard of sanity. Ah well, edit away! I did not watch the kill video, as really, I have no interest in the visual. Maybe run
it with the hunting, gutting videos, after all, a kill is a kill.
Paulie
 
Stove/Furnace Make: leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Abortion

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:29 pm

Paulie wrote:
It is a hoot that questioning the appropriateness of a subject is edited, yet not the subject that is questionable.


They were removed as they had nothing to do with this topic. If anyone wishes to discuss the appropriateness of topics in general they can start a new thread in the feedback forum where it belongs.

Please stay on topic as that was the intention of removing them to begin with.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Abortion

PostBy: cokehead On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:25 pm

It is true that you cannot change what is in someones heart by passing a law or forcing them to attend a church. That has been tried with other issues and in other times. You can't force people to be moral. Many laws that are on the books do have society's morality folded into them. Examples that come to mind would be incest, rape, murder, assault, and theft. The law doesn't directly prevent anyone from doing any of those things but there are consequences if they do. Most people are not offended by the morality contained within the laws about rape, incest...ect because they agree with the moral principles in those laws. Today out society is deeply divided about the very definition of when human life begins. That is an understatement. If you believe it is the point of viability outside the womb then the laws based on that persumtion make sense. I don't think I'm wise enough, I don't think anyone is wise enough to know the answer to just when an unborn child is worth protecting such as it can be done by a law. My heart says protect them all but I am one voice. One voice does not change laws. Maybe, just maybe I can change the heart of another person.

Judging by the responses it is obvious I am a minority in my position. I appoligize to those who feel that this is an inappropiate topic for a coal forum.
cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502

Re: Abortion

PostBy: coaledsweat On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:42 pm

cokehead wrote:Judging by the responses it is obvious I am a minority in my position. I appoligize to those who feel that this is an inappropiate topic for a coal forum.

This particular forum is named "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates". While many may disagree with what is posted here, it is posted in the appropriate forum.
coaledsweat
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Re: Abortion

PostBy: brckwlt On: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:37 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
cokehead wrote:Judging by the responses it is obvious I am a minority in my position. I appoligize to those who feel that this is an inappropiate topic for a coal forum.

This particular forum is named "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates". While many may disagree with what is posted here, it is posted in the appropriate forum.



maybe its a debate worthy of the F S C :devil:

cokehead wrote:If you believe it is the point of viability outside the womb then the laws based on that persumtion make sense. I don't think I'm wise enough, I don't think anyone is wise enough to know the answer to just when an unborn child is worth protecting such as it can be done by a law. My heart says protect them all but I am one voice. One voice does not change laws. Maybe, just maybe I can change the heart of another person.


I believe life begins at conception. a an unborn child should be protected by laws. to kill a fetus is murder in my eyes.

how could anyone say a fetus inst a human life. they have finger and toes, a nose, a beating heart etc ... just because they arent outside of the womb means they arent human?? i dont buy that. why would someone be convicted of a double murder or homicide when they kill a pregnant mother. must be because the unborn child counts as a human life.

all human life is precious, whether that is in the womb or outside of the womb.
brckwlt
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Axeman-Anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: Rebuilt 1953 AA-130

Re: Abortion

PostBy: samhill On: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:26 am

I believe it should be a personal choice & left alone at that. Its already been heard in the court & it doesn`t change anyones personal belief so no matter what is done it really won`t change a thing. Some believe that any form of birth control is a sin, so does that mean that if you pratice a form of safe sex you are possibly aborting?
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Abortion

PostBy: cokehead On: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:27 am

Supreme Court decisions are rarely overturned but it does happen. Plessy vs Ferguson was overturned by Brown vs. Board of Education. Those cases have nothing to do with abortion. I only cite them as evidence that Supreme Court decisions have been overturned.
cokehead
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Locke, Godin, Tarm in da works
Stove/Furnace Model: Warm Morning 617-A, 3721, 502


cron