Someone posted this; "I have read all the posts by the people who burn coal stoves. I never burned coal, so I did some checking. I found the following from the instruction manual of a Magnafire Coal Stove:
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER ABOUT CHIMNEYS IS THEIR NEED FOR MAINTENANCE AND CLEANING. IF A CHIMNEY IS NOT CLEANED ON A FREQUENT BASIS, IT WILL AFFECT DRAFT, AS WELL AS BE A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR TO A POTENTIAL CHIMNEY FIRE.
They also talk about a potential build-up of gasses if the draft is affected by wind or obstructions that can lead to pockets of gasses that can explode. If there is a crack in the chimney these gasses can collect in that pocket, and when the door is opened they can ignite and explode.
Those of you who burn the stoves may not believe this, but the guys who make them claim it can happen.
I have also heard that a film can build up on the lining of a chimney and care should be taken when cleaning the chimney that you do not create a spark, which can ignite the film in the flue. I would imagine that if there is a crack in the flue the same material that can gather in the flue itself can gather in an area around the crack, thus creating a fire potential."
Isn't the soot or ash in the chimney from a coal stove 100% non combustible? Isn't more acidic then it is flammable? If any type of coal was leaving a film in the chimney wouldn't it be Bit coal? From my understanding there isn't many of them around here but I sure would like to know what company is giving him his information?