Feed rate

Feed rate

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:30 pm

I've got the max set at of 32 right now. With a feed rate of 99 the fire is right to the edge of the grate. If I boost the max at all, hot coals go in the ash bin.

This looks like a much lower max than many hyfire II owners seem to be using. Any ideas why?
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: WNY On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Depends on the feed stroke of the stoker motor, speed, bearing size, etc....but if that is what is working, then leave it where is. Sounds like you have it dialed in about right. Every stove may have slightly different characteristics, so what works for one, may not be perfect for someone else.

My stove is like 1995 vintage Hyfire 1, so the components may be a bit different. Things could be a bit worn, etc...
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: gambler On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:37 pm

There are many variables that could make your max lower than others.
One of course would be the coal. Two, when your stoker motor arm that moves the carpet was made and welded up it could be slightly longer than most others which means it would feed more coal per revolution. Three, your combustion fan may only produce 40cfm instead of 45cfm. All of these stight differences in mfg will cause these stoves to not be exactly the same.
gambler
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Visit Leisure Line Stove

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:38 pm

WNY wrote:Depends on the feed stroke of the stoker motor, speed, bearing size, etc....but if that is what is working, then leave it where is. Sounds like you have it dialed in about right. Every stove may have slightly different characteristics, so what works for one, may not be perfect for someone else.

My stove is like 1995 vintage Hyfire 1, so the components may be a bit different.



Yeah, I'm pretty happy with where it is. I just find it odd that my max setting is so much lower than so many other hyfire 2 owners (most seem to have a max at around 40).
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:39 pm

gambler wrote:There are many variables that could make your max lower than others.
One of course would be the coal. Two, when your stoker motor arm that moves the carpet was made and welded up it could be slightly longer than most others which means it would feed more coal per revolution. Three, your combustion fan may only produce 40cfm instead of 45cfm. All of these stight differences in mfg will cause these stoves to not be exactly the same.



Thanks.

It's not a problem, I was just curious.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: WNY On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:41 pm

I have mine around max=46. I haven't even been at FR99 yet this year, hasn't been cold enough to really crank.

I put all new gaskets on the grates, hopper, etc...seemed to help the burning. My smaller burner was burning way back and I was getting smoke/condensation in the hopper.
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:42 pm

WNY wrote:I have mine around max=46. I haven't even been at FR99 yet this year, hasn't been cold enough to really crank.

I put all new gaskets on the grates, hopper, etc...seemed to help the burning.


My house is far from tight and we've had some single digits in the last week or so.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: WNY On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:46 pm

We have had a couple single digits nights, but it kept up, My feed rate was up in the 60-70+ range, but it was keeping up.! 23 new Windows was my biggest improvement to the house.
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:12 pm

Erik,

I've been cutting my max back this year. I am down to max of 40 right now. I'm heating my body shop end bay and 1/2 of the building with it. There is not much insulation in here. In fact the farther end of the shop has NO insulation at all, just the bare walls with stucco on the outside. And then I'm also dealing with 4 overhead bay doors. Winds from a northerly or easterly direction hit the doors.

And the right burner is burning father down than the left.

But it is still producing heat and that to me is all that matters.



Rick
Rick 386
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: Matthaus On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Erik, I sent you a PM, give us a call. Sounds like there is an "opportunity" that needs dealing with. By chance do you have an adjustable feeder carpet?
Matthaus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110 Dual Fuel, natural gas
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Lil' Heater (rental house)
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Buckwheat Anthracite

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: ErikLaurence On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Matthaus wrote:Erik, I sent you a PM, give us a call. Sounds like there is an "opportunity" that needs dealing with. By chance do you have an adjustable feeder carpet?



PM sent. I do not know what an adjustable feeder carpet is.
ErikLaurence
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Reading Lehigh
Stove/Furnace Model: LL Hyfire II w/heat jacket

Re: Feed rate

PostBy: WNY On: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:07 pm

On the back of the feed carpet, (where the stoker motor bearing goes up thru) some of the older models have a screw adjustment to adjust feed I think prior to the CoalTrol, when they had the Rheostat controls. Mine has the adjustment screws, but I screwed them IN for max feed and let the coaltrol maintain it.
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Visit Leisure Line Stove