Internet Shopping

Internet Shopping

PostBy: RMA On: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 am

Here's a site that can help you to identify SHADY vendors on the internet:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

They show many in electronics...

Bob
RMA
 

Re: Internet Shopping

PostBy: mozz On: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:18 pm

I like dealing with Newegg when it comes to electronic or computer things. They may not have the absolute lowest price, but often have free shipping. The price might be a few dollars higher but the customer service well exceeds any i have ever dealt with. Most things get here in 1 or 2 days. I can order in the morning and will be here next afternoon. They come from a Newegg warehouse, not some other vendor like Amazon or Buy.com. For tires, Tirerack. We have 4 vehicles, 5 counting the daughters. Since 2003, i have only bought tires online. Have bought my last 5 sets of tires from them. Get them installed locally for $20-30 and balanced. Cameras, you have to have a lot of caution buying online. That goes for most any electronics, if the price is real low, do not buy it. Auto parts, Rockauto gets all my business also due to fastest shipping and very reasonable prices.
mozz
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Re: Internet Shopping

PostBy: e.alleg On: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:09 pm

same here, newegg, tirerack are good, uline.com for shipping supplies like tape and unusual boxes. Ebay is good for used auto parts/cores and such and good deals on used stuff, no good for new electronics because almost all of the major manufacturers don't warranty anything bought off ebay unless it's bought off a legit authorized dealer and good luck with that ;)
e.alleg
 
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 520


Re: Internet Shopping

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Newegg for computer stuff, B&H for A/V.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

There's two common scams that most of those shady places use. They'll offer a product for a really low price and then run you around for weeks after you pay them about it not being in stock or whatever. After a while they'll offer you another product or your money back. The other scam is they'll offer something like Canon DSLR and make it look like it's full package except what they offering is just the camera body which is in the fine print. No lens, no strap, no battery etc.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Internet Shopping

PostBy: RMA On: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:54 pm

Richard S. wrote:Newegg for computer stuff, B&H for A/V.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

There's two common scams that most of those shady places use. They'll offer a product for a really low price and then run you around for weeks after you pay them about it not being in stock or whatever. After a while they'll offer you another product or your money back. The other scam is they'll offer something like Canon DSLR and make it look like it's full package except what they offering is just the camera body which is in the fine print. No lens, no strap, no battery etc.


I've used the same two vendors, I was going to mention that B&H is not like the "shyster" operations.
They were lightning fast in their service and they send me an embarrassingly large catalogue every so often...

Bob
RMA
 

Re: Internet Shopping

PostBy: Richard S. On: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:04 pm

RMA wrote:They were lightning fast in their service and they send me an embarrassingly large catalogue every so often...

Bob


:lol: You mean that phone book of electronic pron? I've been wanting to go there. I hear it 's a huge building and 5 stories of nothing but electronics.

As far as service goes I ordered something 3 day ground shipping once and it was here next day. Maybe like 30 hours. I guess it wasn't all them but they did have to get it out the door.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Internet Shopping

PostBy: jpete On: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks for that a/v shopping site. Looks like a good selection.

Anyone know of a good place to have stuff repaired?

I have a Sony Handycam that, according to a local shop, needs a CCD. But he wants $180 to fix it. It's a nice camera, but not THAT nice. :D

Still, I'd like to have it working. Anyone have any sources?
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Internet Shopping

PostBy: Bigbird48 On: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:49 pm

Tiger Direct is a great place for anything electronic, good customer service fast shipping. Oh I have use BH Photo also there great to.
Bigbird48
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Harman Mark ll

Re: Internet Shopping

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:16 am

jpete wrote:
I have a Sony Handycam that, according to a local shop, needs a CCD. But he wants $180 to fix it. It's a nice camera, but not THAT nice. :D


Mini-DV? You now own a mini-DV playback device. :D Keep it for playback, rewinding etc. If you look around you can new mini-DV for about $200 to $300.

Here's one for $249

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5 ... rder_.html
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite