I am going back to an oil burner!

I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: Cap On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:00 am

'83 Mercedes 300D in excellent condition, meticulously maintained since day one. I know the two owners and I have even worked on this car in the past. It spent most of it life in NC & VA. So, less contact with road salt.

I have a passion for MB diesels. I owned a few over the years, gave up when it became necessary to tow a trailer for coal & other work around my property. This is as fine as an example of the W123 model as can be found and I am getting at a bargain price. I'm very good at repair of this model, worked on these cars exclusively for a few years. German engineering at its finest.
The engine is a 3.0L five cyclinder using prechamber combustion with a Bosch fuel injector system. These cars are very popular in other parts of the world. This model is considered one of the most robust passanger cars ever built.
[attachment=0]IMG_0323[1] -
Attachments
IMG_0323[1] - Copy.jpg
(204.86 KiB) Viewed 42 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
'83 300D turbodiesel with a working AC, That's rare!
[nepathumb]19562[/nepathumb]
Cap
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: Hambden Bob On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:03 am

Jumpin' Jesus,you scared me to death for a minute ! Thanx for the picture. :roll:
Hambden Bob
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni !

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: AA130FIREMAN On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:09 am

Ever hear of this, someone told me they put DOT 3 break fluid in the tank every once and a while to treat the diesel ,clean injectors,pump :shock: . I would have to think that would ruin the seals,swelling o rings, etc. I would never try in my powerstroke. :lol:
AA130FIREMAN
 
Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube


Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: grumpy On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:15 am

Germans, good stuff..
grumpy
 

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: Cap On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:15 am

AA130FIREMAN wrote:Ever hear of this, someone told me they put DOT 3 break fluid in the tank every once and a while to treat the diesel ,clean injectors,pump :shock: . I would have to think that would ruin the seals,swelling o rings, etc. I would never try in my powerstroke. :lol:


I heard of using ATF in the fuel but NEVER brake fluid. That's crazy.
Cap
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:43 am

NOT DOT3---the next one up---Dot 5?????used to use it on Harleys because the brake reservoir is on the handlebars & if you spilled some,it wouldn't eat the paint or anything--still sounds scarey putting it in the gas tank :shock:
AA130FIREMAN wrote:Ever hear of this, someone told me they put DOT 3 break fluid in the tank every once and a while to treat the diesel ,clean injectors,pump :shock: . I would have to think that would ruin the seals,swelling o rings, etc. I would never try in my powerstroke. :lol:
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:14 am

no brake fluid in the fuel!!!! atf yes. better techron...

I specialized in that body style for years also. they will go forever. the prechambers will erode away if crappy fuel was used but takes high milage. K&W parts still has great prices on oem replacements for em.

congrats on the new rack,rack,rack machine!
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:53 am

Now,that makes more sense :D --had a chance to swap for one last year--drive train was great--frame was trashed---NYDOT---a little heavy on the salt Have fun w/ it,it looks nice & clean
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm jealous. Enjoy! It's still a sharp looking car. Is that the one you can burn cooking oil in with a little modification?

My second car ever was a 62 cream colored 220s. My big brother found it for me in the Want Ad Press. 1975. The sellers thought the trans was shot. It wouldn't go into gear. My brother knew it was just the gearshift linkage bushings! It was a four on the tree. We bought the car for $350, put the bushings in on the spot, and drove away in it.
Unfortunately, being 18, I wrapped the car around a parked car on a drunken beer run and lost my license for six months....
Attachments
159176.jpg
(60.14 KiB) Viewed 11 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
62 220s
[nepathumb]19575[/nepathumb]
Dann757
 

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:46 pm

My God,I hope you saved the Beer :out:
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: Dann757 On: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 pm

HAHAHA never made it to the liquor store. Shots of whiskey and valiums don't mix. Somebody stole my fishing pole out of the trunk that night! I got thrown in jail and told the cop I was going to hang myself with my belt. Cop said go ahead. How do I remember this *censored* from 35 years ago....
Dann757
 

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: Rick 386 On: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:12 pm

Cap wrote: It spent most of it life in NC & VA. So, less contact with road salt.



I think I still have a pattern laying around the shop to make the bottom of the front fenders up about 8" out of flat sheet metal. And then in their infinite wisdom, they sprayed that heavy thick undercoating on the floor boards. If water got in there, it rotted the floor while the undercoating kept it in place and then one day...........Flinstone mobile. OH yeah, they also had those plastic vacuum operated door locks too. I burned more than 1 hole in them buggers !!!!

Good grab if there is no rust anywhere.




Rick
Rick 386
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: Cap On: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Rick 386 wrote:
Cap wrote: It spent most of it life in NC & VA. So, less contact with road salt.



I think I still have a pattern laying around the shop to make the bottom of the front fenders up about 8" out of flat sheet metal. And then in their infinite wisdom, they sprayed that heavy thick undercoating on the floor boards. If water got in there, it rotted the floor while the undercoating kept it in place and then one day...........Flinstone mobile. OH yeah, they also had those plastic vacuum operated door locks too. I burned more than 1 hole in them buggers !!!!

Good grab if there is no rust anywhere.




Rick


Yea, I hear ya. I know these cars well. Robust in some areas and likely to rust or fail in others. That is why you CANNOT drive this car in salt. Salt will rot the best of cars. I am in Rochester this week. I see the worst looking & rusted cars driving around thus town. Don't ever buy an old car that spent has spent time living in the NY, New England or the Mid West. It's not called the rust-belt for nothing.
Cap
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: europachris On: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:22 pm

Cap wrote:'83 Mercedes 300D in excellent condition, meticulously maintained since day one. I know the two owners and I have even worked on this car in the past. It spent most of it life in NC & VA. So, less contact with road salt.

I have a passion for MB diesels. I owned a few over the years, gave up when it became necessary to tow a trailer for coal & other work around my property. This is as fine as an example of the W123 model as can be found and I am getting at a bargain price. I'm very good at repair of this model, worked on these cars exclusively for a few years. German engineering at its finest.
The engine is a 3.0L five cyclinder using prechamber combustion with a Bosch fuel injector system. These cars are very popular in other parts of the world. This model is considered one of the most robust passanger cars ever built.
[attachment=0]IMG_0323[1] -


My parents had a neighbor couple that they became friends with 40+ years ago - he was something like the regional Northeast service manager for M-B, maybe even higher up. They always had M-B diesels, and that probably started my diesel addiction that I have still today, even though I was only a very young child at the time. The last I recall of them was they had retired to a place I think in PA somewhere and he had a 190E 2.5 Turbodiesel, and I think it even had the manual trans. This would have been around '86 or so. I remember being really impressed with the power of that car even with 4 people in it. A whole lot better than the '78 Rabbit diesel I rode around in some years earlier.....

Indeed, the W123 is a great M-B chassis. Unfortunately, far too many became "beaters" and suffered from lack of maintenance, NO maintenance, or incompetent maintenance (or all of the above) because while the car could be purchased cheaply (for a 'Benz), the parts and required service were still expensive. Therefore the cars were run into the ground or rotted away before most got the chance to be lovingly cared for by proper ownership. I've looked a few times around here for one, but you are correct - they are rotted into oblivion by now, or driven by "greasecar" tree-huggers who haven't a clue as to how to care for a car besides pour used crap from "Long Duck Dong" Chinese Take-out into the tank.

Chris
europachris
 
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM 350/Iron Fireman
Stove/Furnace Model: Custom bituminous burner

Re: I am going back to an oil burner!

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm

AA130FIREMAN wrote:Ever hear of this, someone told me they put DOT 3 break fluid in the tank every once and a while to treat the diesel ,clean injectors,pump :shock: . I would have to think that would ruin the seals,swelling o rings, etc. I would never try in my powerstroke. :lol:


No brake fluid for me, thanks. If you want to add something to diesel fuel, buy something intended for that purpose.

Nice car Cap.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy