mozz wrote:Having sold the leisure line pioneer, i would have to say just clean and then oil, no water. I tried the baking soda and water, then dried, then oiled and got surface rust. I oiled the heck out of it too, with a CRC metal protector.
Keeping moisture out of the unit is the key. If there isn't any moisture the sulfur compounds (dioxide or trioxide) from burning coal deposited on the unit's metal surface can't form any of the sulfur acids (either sulfurous or sulfuric).
I was going to get into it but looked it up on Ask.com and found this I clipped from a site talking about acid
rain formulas. (fyi ... aq = aqueous solution = a solution in water):
burn(ing) coal produce(s) sulfur dioxide from the sulfur impurities in the coal.
S(s) + O2(g) ==> SO2(g)
The SO2(g) combines with water to produce sulfurous acid.
H2O(l) + SO2(g) ==> H2SO3(g)
Note: Sulfur dioxide is not readily oxidized to sulfur trioxide in dry clean air. Water droplets and dust particles however, catalyse the reaction between O2 and SO2 in the air producing sulfur trioixde, SO3.This dissolves in water and produces sulfuric acid which is a much stronger acid. This can cause considerable damage to buildings, vegetation and fish populations by destroying fish eggs.
SO2(g) + ½O2(g) ==> SO3(g)
H2O(l) + SO3(g) ==> H2SO4(aq)
So, keep your powder dry