somewhat tuned up.

somewhat tuned up.

PostBy: incynr8 On: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:40 am

OK following advice on the forum here I cleaned the grease off the prawl and drum, used ATF to clean it out and lubricate it (this will take a few times to get it perfect), tuned air to 4ish and feed to 3ish and I'm getting a nice burn with the dark center spot and 2" ash ring. I might be able to cut air to 3.5ish.
low limit is at 175 high at 200, 3 min per hour on the honeywell one hour timer.

house is being kept at 70-72 with good hot water.

I bled the radiators and found only a little air so far so that was good.

I need to schedule downtime to have this unit cleaned well, and at least get new door seals, the 'turn knob' on the round front door no longer has a 'leg' to engage and tightly seal this door, so that's a small part I should get also.

I have been using the cleanout pull lever for 20 sec while running every day, I have a feeling this was neglected over winter and I want to be diligent about it.

Checked coil area. This was easy as the upper rear covers are off and about 5 years ago or so you could tell someone fixed a drippy coil, back is painted silver with newer coil evident, probably a 5gpm unit. I turned up my tempering mix to push 150-160F hot out, doing alot of painting in the place and want hot in the slop sink.

I have the rear cleanout port on this unit.

I am going to finally get pics taken and up soon, I had to dust and clean the unit before I can show it.

So far I still need to check dampner, it appears out of plumb AND level, and have the draft checked.

I see a reason to install some sort of outfire sensoring, such as a PLC that declares 'if temp is only 140, outfire has occurred, kill power to stoker/worm. I also wonder if a more configurable timer would be good for summer, such as 2 min every 30min.

I also need to address the 'barrel feed' system, as the worm could have been higher in the barrel, or a custom worm bin could be made with a second transfer worm from the large bin, or sticking with bucket land to manually fill the drum/smaller bin. Either way I at least want a better drum set up with a cover and the worm sealed to the drum, as currently it is not.

Thanks for all the help everyone provided!
incynr8
 

Re: somewhat tuned up.

PostBy: stoker-man On: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 am

I would set the low/high at 160/200 in the winter and maybe 210 in the summer. A second worm IS available which will lengthen your feed up to another 6 feet.
The drive pawl shouldn't be lubricated at all. The rest gets lubed with 90W synthetic gear oil. The L6006A or C works well as an outfire control. A 5 gal. coil uses 1/2" lines; the 7 gal. coil uses 3/4" lines.
stoker-man
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: 1981 efm wcb-24 in use 365 days a year
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Chestnut
Other Heating: Hearthstone wood stove

Re: somewhat tuned up.

PostBy: incynr8 On: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:24 pm

mine only seems to go to 200 as high limit.
probably best described as an OLD Honeywell unit
the prawl is no lubed, only the drum wicking oil from the pan bring any surface to surface
incynr8