DutchWest Coal Stove

DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: grobinson2 On: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:14 am

Is there anyone out there that will allow me to please pick there brain in regards to Consolidated Federal Air Tight Dutch West Coal/Wood Stoves? I can not find any "real" into on them at all regarding coal burning.

Thanks in advance,
Glenn
grobinson2
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: (2) EFM 520's
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Hitzer 354 Custom
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1927 2in1

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: Dann757 On: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:42 am

Attachments
2000dutchwest.jpg
(171.62 KiB) Viewed 76 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]20344[/nepathumb]
Dann757
 

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: grobinson2 On: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:42 am

Thank you for the link. I have done some looking around on hearth.com with some luck but almost all of the people on there talk about wood burning and I have no interest in wood burning. I am trying to find out if even the older versions were junk when it came to coal burning and also trying to find out just how much coal the Extra large model will hold. I saw a guy on ebay who says that the large model will hold 40 pounds.

Thanks again,
Glenn
grobinson2
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: (2) EFM 520's
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Hitzer 354 Custom
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1927 2in1

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:51 am

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Dutchwest stove. It may be a bargain and all that, but; you'll pay a big price in frustration with it's poor performance, short burn times and poorly designed grate and firebox system. If you want a bargain stove that you can be happy with get a coal Chubby or even far better, go to "antique stove hospital," on the internet and talk to Emery about a Glenwood No. 111 coal stove with the base heating option. They come in three sizes and they are the best coal heaters ever made to this day. They about as much as a new stove but are much, much more efficient and economical to use. You'll be a lot happier, use much less coal, get a lot more heat per pound burned and you'll get a stove that is extremely easy to use, and it will out last you and your children. A couple of us here on the Forum have Glenwoods and we wouldn't trade them for love nor money.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:24 pm

The fact that you can't find a lot of information on this stove should have you running in the opposite direction. That it is a "dual" fuel stove doesn't bode well. From what I've read those type of stoves tend not to burn either fuel well and you are better off getting a stove designed exclusively for coal. The archives are full of postings of the modifications folks have done to their stoves to get them to burn coal better. I don't know your level of coal knowledge but there is a huge learning curve and if the stove you have doesn't burn coal easily you will be frustrated and quit before you really figure burning coal out. I say keep an eye on the local Craig's list and ebay. A true coal stove will become available. Lisa
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: grobinson2 On: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Good afternoon Guys,
I have had quite a few coal stoves over the last two or three years and while not a 20, or 80 year expert like some of the guys on here I can hold my own as far as coal knowledge. When I got my Coalbrookdale Darby, I could not find any information on that stove ether and as many of you know that was one of the best coal stoves every built. Sure makes a crappy wood stove but they were great coal stoves. Anyway I am looking for guys out there who have actually used a DutchWest stove with coal. I have taken the one I got completely part and they are very heavily built. From everything I have read on them almost all of the problems that people have had have been a result of the catalytic cumbuster and heat issues. Thank you though for your input and since I am a heard headed mule anyway this coming winter I will post my results on how it does with coal.

Thanks again guys,
Glenn
grobinson2
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: (2) EFM 520's
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Hitzer 354 Custom
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Nut
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1927 2in1

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: nortcan On: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:23 pm

wsherrick wrote:Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Dutchwest stove. It may be a bargain and all that, but; you'll pay a big price in frustration with it's poor performance, short burn times and poorly designed grate and firebox system. If you want a bargain stove that you can be happy with get a coal Chubby or even far better, go to "antique stove hospital," on the internet and talk to Emery about a Glenwood No. 111 coal stove with the base heating option. They come in three sizes and they are the best coal heaters ever made to this day. They about as much as a new stove but are much, much more efficient and economical to use. You'll be a lot happier, use much less coal, get a lot more heat per pound burned and you'll get a stove that is extremely easy to use, and it will out last you and your children. A couple of us here on the Forum have Glenwoods and we wouldn't trade them for love nor money.

[code][/code]
Hi wsherrick, I was very impressed when I saw the site you mentioned (ant. stove hospital). I was thinking that the founders of Vermont Castings invented the long path inside the stove to radiate the heat but I realised that is was there long time before V.C. These old stoves are fabulous and reflect what I mean when I asked: are they ugly?... Now, can you tel me what make them so efficient? Are they fire brick lined? How do you shake them? How is the grate? Have they an ash pan? My questions are for the model you have. Do you know why they outperform the Chubby stoves? All you can write about your stove will be a delight for me and other readers. Having sad days for a couple of past weeks your post was a very shining one for me.
Lot of questions but answer only if you wish.
Thanks for the infos
Salutations from Canada
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:12 pm

nortcan wrote:
wsherrick wrote:Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Dutchwest stove. It may be a bargain and all that, but; you'll pay a big price in frustration with it's poor performance, short burn times and poorly designed grate and firebox system. If you want a bargain stove that you can be happy with get a coal Chubby or even far better, go to "antique stove hospital," on the internet and talk to Emery about a Glenwood No. 111 coal stove with the base heating option. They come in three sizes and they are the best coal heaters ever made to this day. They about as much as a new stove but are much, much more efficient and economical to use. You'll be a lot happier, use much less coal, get a lot more heat per pound burned and you'll get a stove that is extremely easy to use, and it will out last you and your children. A couple of us here on the Forum have Glenwoods and we wouldn't trade them for love nor money.

[code][/code]
Hi wsherrick, I was very impressed when I saw the site you mentioned (ant. stove hospital). I was thinking that the founders of Vermont Castings invented the long path inside the stove to radiate the heat but I realised that is was there long time before V.C. These old stoves are fabulous and reflect what I mean when I asked: are they ugly?... Now, can you tel me what make them so efficient? Are they fire brick lined? How do you shake them? How is the grate? Have they an ash pan? My questions are for the model you have. Do you know why they outperform the Chubby stoves? All you can write about your stove will be a delight for me and other readers. Having sad days for a couple of past weeks your post was a very shining one for me.
Lot of questions but answer only if you wish.
Thanks for the infos
Salutations from Canada


Hi Nortcan, click on the link below to see the thread about my Glenwood Base Burner. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Got The Glenwood Base Burner Installed & Tested Last Night
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 am

From one hardheaded mule to another--you know the basics from your other stoves---like you, w/ my Hitzer 50-93 I took it completly apart,replaced things that probably didn't need replacing,but,I basically started out w/ a new stove--with alot of suggestions from this site PLUS alot of common sense---if what you've got works for you,that's all that matters ;) --I had a real good first year coal experience :)
grobinson2 wrote:Good afternoon Guys,
I have had quite a few coal stoves over the last two or three years and while not a 20, or 80 year expert like some of the guys on here I can hold my own as far as coal knowledge. When I got my Coalbrookdale Darby, I could not find any information on that stove ether and as many of you know that was one of the best coal stoves every built. Sure makes a crappy wood stove but they were great coal stoves. Anyway I am looking for guys out there who have actually used a DutchWest stove with coal. I have taken the one I got completely part and they are very heavily built. From everything I have read on them almost all of the problems that people have had have been a result of the catalytic cumbuster and heat issues. Thank you though for your input and since I am a heard headed mule anyway this coming winter I will post my results on how it does with coal.

Thanks again guys,
Glenn
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:09 am

Hi wsherrick, thanks for the link. My question can look bizz. but can you tell me what is a base burner, how does it work? And you mentioned baseheating bypass, could you explain? Do you get lot of dust when shaking the ashes? Do you have pict. of the inside of the stove?

Well, this question is not just for you but for the actual stoves makers: what are you waiting for to make nice, performant anthracite stoves. With all that heritage from these non computerized and probably not engineer stoves makers, it's a shame on a lot of new stoves.
Salutations
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:45 pm

nortcan wrote:Hi wsherrick, thanks for the link. My question can look bizz. but can you tell me what is a base burner, how does it work? And you mentioned baseheating bypass, could you explain? Do you get lot of dust when shaking the ashes? Do you have pict. of the inside of the stove?

Well, this question is not just for you but for the actual stoves makers: what are you waiting for to make nice, performant anthracite stoves. With all that heritage from these non computerized and probably not engineer stoves makers, it's a shame on a lot of new stoves.
Salutations


A baseburner or base heater is the most efficient of coal stoves because they direct the exhaust downward through a series of passages UNDER the stove and AROUND the base of the stove so the smoke will give up most of its heat to the inside rather than let it be wasted up the chimney. The fire is started with the bypass damper in direct draft which is the same as a standard stove, then once the fire is established a simple flip of the bypass damper pictured in the rear of the stove directs the heat and exhaust downward through the vertical tubes behind the stove which attaches to the baseburning circuit.
Another highly desirable trait of these stoves is that they are completely airtight and the dampers are held in place by spring loaded pins which insures that the dampers are airtight as well. 25 pounds of coal can easily maintain a stove temperature of 300 degrees constantly for 24 hours without any attention.
Shaking the ashes is done with the crank and while the stove is completely closed so there is virtually no dust which escapes into the room.
The grates are triangular bars which basically give you 3 sets of grates in one, because they can be rotated to change the side exposed to the fire and thus give triple the life of ordinary grates. Combustion efficiency is extremely high because the stove is engineered to follow the correct proportion of fuel mass to combustion area space above it. The proper proportion is roughly the combustion chamber must have at least twice the height of the width of the firepot or firebox for proper air to fuel ratios. Many old engineering books on combustion explain these.
These stoves provide preheated secondary air in an exact amount to burn the hydrocarbon gasses without sacrificing heat loss. See pictures below. The firepot is lined with refractory mortar. As you can see, these stoves are very advanced in their design, highly sophisticated in their concept and built for ease of use and meant to last a lifetime.
Attachments
DSC00187.JPG
(144.82 KiB) Viewed 45 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Note tiny holes under fire door. These admit secondary air to an iron ring around the top of the which then allows the heated air to enter right at the top of the fuel.
[nepathumb]20376[/nepathumb]
DSC00191.JPG
(144.89 KiB) Viewed 35 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
You can see the heavy iron ring around the top of the fire. There are tiny holes spaced around the ring to admit the air over the fire, the iron is hot so air is preheated first.
[nepathumb]20377[/nepathumb]
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi wsherrick, each time I read your post about your stove I remember when I made modifs. on my V.C. I was thinking I was making the best stove but I begin to be more humble(although it works fine now). What a stove you have!
Again, a few questions: do the small holes around the ring have to be cleaned up once in a while to avoid ashes buildup? What is the firepot diameter? Do you know how long last the firepot lining? How does it work with wood?
Every time I bought a V.C. wood stove, they were supposed to last many generations. They didn't last 26 years (with 4 of them). Anthracite burning is so wonderful is the reason I can't understand the lack of it's spreading. So when I see a stove like yours, it's a sort of miracle for me specially here in Qc where wood stoves are Master and King of home heating.
Thanks for the pict. and your time.
Salutations
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:39 pm

nortcan wrote:Hi wsherrick, each time I read your post about your stove I remember when I made modifs. on my V.C. I was thinking I was making the best stove but I begin to be more humble(although it works fine now). What a stove you have!
Again, a few questions: do the small holes around the ring have to be cleaned up once in a while to avoid ashes buildup? What is the firepot diameter? Do you know how long last the firepot lining? How does it work with wood?
Every time I bought a V.C. wood stove, they were supposed to last many generations. They didn't last 26 years (with 4 of them). Anthracite burning is so wonderful is the reason I can't understand the lack of it's spreading. So when I see a stove like yours, it's a sort of miracle for me specially here in Qc where wood stoves are Master and King of home heating.
Thanks for the pict. and your time.
Salutations


Hopefully, the original poster won't be angry at us for stepping on this thread since it is about Dutchwest Stoves. But, I want to fully answer your questions about the Glenwood so you'll make the smart choice and get one for yourself.
I cleaned the little holes out with a vacuum once in March. They continue to work fine. The firepot on my stove is 16 inches in diameter and can hold 60 pounds of coal. My stove is a No. 6 base heater, it is the second from the largest size which is a No. 8. Glenwood made a whole series of baseheaters which range I think from the No. 109 which is quite small to the largest which is a No. 8.
My stove was made in June of 1909 and will last until after I am long dead.
The refractory lining will last about 5 to 7 years unless you abuse the stove and bang around inside with a poker or something. New liners are easily and cheaply replaced when needed.
My stove is designed to be able to burn wood as well as both soft and hard coal. It has a choke plate which fits over the shaker grates to provide the proper air amounts below and above the fire if wood is used. See picture below. There is also an adjustable secondary damper in the loading door to allow the proper amounts of secondary air for wood burning.
Attachments
DSC00120.JPG
(126.33 KiB) Viewed 21 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Choke grate placed over coal grates for wood burning. It fits in and out in seconds.
[nepathumb]20383[/nepathumb]
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: nortcan On: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:03 pm

O.K. now I know that you could and should make the best anthracite stove in the world. I think that a brand new anthracite stove incorporating all the old school features would be a hit. I will be your first custommer!
You answered my questions perfectly and I thank you very much for it.
I let the place to Dutchwest coal stove
Salutations
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: DutchWest Coal Stove

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:03 pm

nortcan wrote:O.K. now I know that you could and should make the best anthracite stove in the world. I think that a brand new anthracite stove incorporating all the old school features would be a hit. I will be your first custommer!
You answered my questions perfectly and I thank you very much for it.
I let the place to Dutchwest coal stove
Salutations


You are quite welcome, I am happy to answer any questions about my experience with the Glenwood. Dij is another member here who also has a Glenwood No. 6 base heater. He loves his as much as I love mine. No modern box stove can compare in any way to these magnificent animals. If I had the resources and the know how I might look into making new versions of these excellent stoves.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Visit Hitzer Stoves