tvb wrote:My point, LIsa, which had you bothered to read you would know, is that if it weren't for President Obama, you and your friends wouldn't have been able hold your rally at Ft. Hunt which is a national park, and thus federal property.
And the 47% not paying taxes is besides the point because depending on which poll you would like to believe, anywhere between 35% - 53 % of tea partiers earn less than $50,000 a year, putting them squarely in the category of not paying taxes, particularly with the tax cuts this past year that benefited that income group. Dare I say that I suggest your next sign at a strap on party or tea party ask why such a large number of your fellow attendees don't pay taxes?
In the first place, a quick research reveals - by the left leaning CBS news, no less - that the only reason that Obama signed off on this bill was to get a bill changing how credit cards are regulated passed. Obama wanted the Credit Card bill passed more then he didn't want the guns in National Parks and made a deal with the gun lobby, i.e. the Republicans. So Obama gets no credit for "his positive" 2cd Amendment stand. Nothing about Obama has changed.
My question stands. What's your point? Do you think that we would have not been able to find another meeting point along the River. The entire state of VA is open carry as should be every state in the Union. The fact of the matter is you found it funny that the turn out was low although this was due to the event being held on a work day. I asked if you also felt that it was funny that the reason turn out was low was because many of us who would have liked to be there couldn't because of work so we could continue to support the 47% of Americans who don't pay any federal income taxes. That's not beside the point, that's exactly the point. Well, do you think that's funny or even right?
The Obama tax cuts which you espouse may indeed put some tea partiers who earn less the $50,000 in the category of not paying taxes. Despite your claim that this is a "large number" you don't know how many are in that position. Since you didn't provide your source, I"ll assume you are quoting the recent PEW poll and that poll found Tea Partiers tended to earn higher then average incomes. The Link
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.
puts the average US income for 2009 at $70,000 plus. Notice that's a government website. If you have other data, please supply the link. The accumulated data seems to counter your argument. I find it revealing that the folks earning less then $50,000 are still out there protesting the current administration. I know I fit that bill and I'm out there at every opportunity. The fact is we realize that this is not sustainable; it steals our independence and our kid's future.
So I'll ask again, do you think it is funny or even right that 53% of American's can't do what they would like to do while the government takes the results of their labor away so that the other 47% can partake of the services the Federal Government provides without paying a cent. Many would consider that theft by taking and that's not funny no matter which way you try to spin it. Lisa