Not just people over $250K :=(

Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: smokeyCityTeacher On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Recently my sister told me that her boss called them all into the room and told them that once ObamaCare officially kicks in, *all* employers must count the employer contribution to an employee health care plan as income and withhold on that additional income.

In other words - everyone who's employer contributes to their HC plan get a tax increase.

I reminded my sister that since she is a union employee of the county sheriff (she is a teamster officially) she should be getting the big Union break that was brokered in the backroom.
She laughed and corrected me saying that break is only a break on the extra tax on top of the tax for being a Cadillac benefit. She said her particular benefit was not a Cadillac plan.

She wishes she was an autoworker but alas she only makes $11.50/hr writing up warrants and prisoner transfers and her deductible went from $300 to $3,000 this year.
smokeyCityTeacher
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Stove/Furnace Make: Englander, Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 30-NC, 30-95

Re: Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: jpete On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:32 pm

We just had a union meeting about health insurance yesterday because our contract is ending soon. The insurance rep said that because my company is self insured, and there is no language in the law about self insured companies, we would see no real change for at least 18-24 months besides the pre existing condition clause and the part about dependents up to age 26 being covered.

Of course, he also said or current plan is so pathetic, no insurance company in the North East could by law, even offer it. So, I pay $136 a week to get crapped on, and now I'll get taxed on it too.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: smokeyCityTeacher On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:16 pm

but now i just read this online that says our employee sponsored health plan benefit is NOT taxable till 2018

http://www.kiplinger.com/columns/ask/ar ... efits.html

who's right ?
smokeyCityTeacher
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Stove/Furnace Make: Englander, Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 30-NC, 30-95


Re: Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: tvb On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Kiplinger's is correct. From the article you cite above:

The tax on benefits doesn’t arrive until 2018, when insurers must pay a 40% tax on the portion of employer-sponsored “Cadillac” health-plan benefits that exceeds $10,200 for individuals or $27,500 for families (not including stand-alone vision or dental benefits). That limit includes the employer and employee portions of the premiums, plus any employee contributions to tax-favored health savings accounts and flexible spending accounts. This tax will be levied on insurers, not individuals. But insurers are expected to pass the higher costs on to employers, which are likely to pass them to employees or to trim coverage -- such as by increasing deductibles -- so the premiums will fall below the tax threshold.
tvb
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing III

Re: Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:44 pm

tvb wrote:Kiplinger's is correct. From the article you cite above:

The tax on benefits doesn’t arrive until 2018, when insurers must pay a 40% tax on the portion of employer-sponsored “Cadillac” health-plan benefits that exceeds $10,200 for individuals or $27,500 for families (not including stand-alone vision or dental benefits). That limit includes the employer and employee portions of the premiums, plus any employee contributions to tax-favored health savings accounts and flexible spending accounts. This tax will be levied on insurers, not individuals. But insurers are expected to pass the higher costs on to employers, which are likely to pass them to employees or to trim coverage -- such as by increasing deductibles -- so the premiums will fall below the tax threshold.


So TVB... I've read the article and I've read the reports documenting how under the new Health Care Law insurance rates for everyone are going up, way up and the quality of medical care and accessibility to that poorer quality medical care is going down, way down. That's been all over the news this weekend and today, do I really need to provide links for you; maybe so if you are still depending on the MSM as your primary news source. Try http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opini ... 50239.html for starters. Gee, and I haven't even mentioned the 74 other new taxes and mandates the law places on people. Data by the way which was available before the Congressional vote if anyone cared to look or listen. But I digress, so tell me again, how is this law supposed to be a win for everyone much less anyone? Lisa
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Re: Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: rberq On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:48 pm

jpete wrote:The insurance rep said that because my company is self insured, and there is no language in the law about self insured companies, we would see no real change for at least 18-24 months besides the pre existing condition clause and the part about dependents up to age 26 being covered.

Interesting. My company self-insures also. I have what I think is a good plan, and it already covers up to age 24 or 26, I forget which. My big hope for reform was that, if I chose to retire before Medicare eligibility, I would still be able to get insurance at an affordable rate. Unfortunately the reforms won't kick in until my "normal" retirement time, so it's good in theory but won't help me personally.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: rberq On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:55 pm

lowfog01 wrote:... how is this law supposed to be a win for everyone much less anyone?

For those currently having good insurance, who don't lose it due to job loss or other factors, it doesn't seem there will be a "win". If you get sick, can't work because of sickness, therefore lose both job and insurance, then the reforms could be a big win rather than rapid bankruptcy. Other countries have done it right, the US should be able to also. Color me cautiously optimistic.
rberq
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300
Coal Size/Type: Nut -- Kimmel/Blaschak/Reading
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators, propane

Re: Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:11 pm

rberq wrote:
lowfog01 wrote:... how is this law supposed to be a win for everyone much less anyone?

For those currently having good insurance, who don't lose it due to job loss or other factors, it doesn't seem there will be a "win". If you get sick, can't work because of sickness, therefore lose both job and insurance, then the reforms could be a big win rather than rapid bankruptcy. Other countries have done it right, the US should be able to also. Color me cautiously optimistic.


Sorry to disappoint you but and, I don't have the link at my finger tips, an approximate 83 million people who were covered by private health insurance will lose their coverage. That's 43% of those now covered by private insurance. Do a google search on the True Cost of Obama care and you will get a list of 20 things that are going to impact those of us who now have private health insurance. Check out Heritage.com. When all of those people are forced in to the new government health pools, what do you think is going to happen to those who are already there, folks such as yourself. It all becomes a waiting game, waiting for an appointment and waiting for an answer for a requested test or screening. There is a reason that people from Canada and the UK who can afford it come to America for their serious health care, read that surgery or cancer treatment. Haven't we had this conversation before? If things are so great in Canada why did the Governor of Newfoundland go to Miami for his heart surgery. What other countries have done it right? What other country would you want to take your child to in an emergency situation? I know there are none I would trust with the health of my child, I'd do anything to get her to the US and I bet you would, too. Lisa
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Re: Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: jpete On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:13 pm

rberq wrote:
lowfog01 wrote: Color me cautiously optimistic.


Name the last time the government didn't f*ck up a wet dream.

My apologies to anyone I offended with the above, but anyone that think the government can pull off a successful program hasn't been paying attention.
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Re: Not just people over $250K :=(

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:22 pm

jpete wrote:
rberq wrote:
lowfog01 wrote: Color me cautiously optimistic.


Name the last time the government didn't f*ck up a wet dream.

My apologies to anyone I offended with the above, but anyone that think the government can pull off a successful program hasn't been paying attention.


No offense taken, at least by me. The truth is hard to argue with. :) Lisa
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea