I got the bug to start working on those radiators I have for the house. I need to get them out of the barn, they are in the way. There are 7 of them, they all need to be powerwashed first. 2 came out of the house I grew up in, one came from Dave (thank you), and the other 4 came from eBay, those 4 were on a steam system so they need to be flushed out thoroughly and I have to use the fire-wrench to get the plug out of the one end, as well as the plug where the air bleed goes. 3 of them have heavy coats of paint on them too.
The other 3 were on hot water systems, they don’t have a lot of paint on them either.
Once they are cleaned and painted I can sit them where they will eventually be connected in the various rooms in the house.
I have 3 matching units for downstairs, 2 identical 6 pass units for the front room and one that had an additional section or two for the dining room.
For upstairs I have 2 that match from my childhood house, the one from Dave, and a kinda tall 6 pass that weighs a ton. Mix and match!!!
All seat-of-the-pants engineering here. The correct way is to do a bunch of cal-cul-la-tions that I don’t quite understand (including a heat loss figure for the house…oh I got that already…a lot), and research and research to try and find the BTU output for each radiator so they are sized correctly.
Sections are added or removed to obtain the correct output.
Or…I can just look at the radiator and think about what I remember about the sizes of radiators I’ve seen in houses all my life and say “Yea, that looks about right” like I did in the kitchen.