Here's some updates, the fancy arch is done. It actually lined up with existing one perfectly. The paint is my Dad, he has no patience.
I'll try and give an idea of the layout, we're looking through the archway from above picture into the kitchen. The little room on the right is where the launbdry room is from the picture I posted above. This where most of the work has been centered. The other rooms at this point haven't had anything except a lot of scraping, paint and the floors.
If we move through the arch into the kitchen and turn left we can look into the new dining room that used to be a bedroom. Not sure if this was seen before there was window where that door was. We're going to put a deck off there and wrap it around to the house to the existing screened in porch on the other side of the house.
There was a lot of work that went into the existing cabinets. Lots of sanding, fixing holes etc. Hard to see in this first picture but I added molding throughout the insides of them. They do not have any backs but instead use the existing wall. There was a lot of gaps so the molding was the best choice to fix them.
Granite counter tops, a new sink and a new tile backslash were installed. Other than the wall preparation the tile is the one thing I didn't do because of time constraints. There's actually two more pieces of granite not installed yet because the cabinets they will go on don't exist yet.
The cabinet above the stove to hold the microwave/vent hood is completely new build and yes that's real vent to exhaust it outside. I installed the microwave into the wall because it was going to stick out entirely too far from the face of the cabinets, the back end is not mounted to the face of the wall but sits on a 2*4. The vent piece on top is custom build because they simply didn't have what I wanted. I had to first connect the elbow into a straight piece and the straight piece had to get S bend so it would make it into the wall. One thing I didn't account for when I started this project was the light below the microwave so I had to make the "dugout" in the second picture or it would have partially been in the wall, really wasn't much choice because if the microwave didn't go into the wall it would have been sticking out about 4 inches . It could have been completely flush and I would have avoided making that S bend but there is vent along the top in the front about an inch deep.
Haven't noticed elsewhere in the house but in the kitchen ceiling you could see the seams where the plaster went together when the ceiling light was on. I mentioned this before but the walls and ceiling instead of wood lathe have a 3/8 backing board that is basically drywall without a finished side. These sheets are only two feet wide and this is where the seams were you could see. I skim coated the entire ceiling. You can see the darker are in this picture where the seam was.
Last but not least the floor....now I know why they charge thousands of dollars for this. I thought it was going to be 4 days, maybe 5 tops but it turned into a 8 day project and I still need to get some more clear coat down in some rooms. I could probably do it 5 now that I did it once. I started out with drum sander we rented and 80 grit. I quickly became apparent the 80 grit wasn't going to do it and I moved to 20 grit which has abrasives slightly smaller than rice coal
. I don't know if anyone has ever ran one of these machines but it will kick your ass, it's like a huge vacuum cleaner. When I started I was being careful with it but that wasn't removing enough material. The issue is the floor was slightly uneven with some floor boards maybe a 1/32 or even less that were below the others. Removing enough material was a project, I was trying to balance getting it down far enough and not leave any areas where it went too deep. These aren't that visible until you sand and will really become visible when you stain, the ned grain becomes exposed and since the mark may go across many boards it's very visible. What I ended up doing was lightly setting the drum on to the wood and letting it pull itself under it's own power, once it started moving I pulled up on the handle and let it eat.
Seemed to work out pretty well. Once I removed enough material I moved onto 36 grit with the drum sander. From there I moved to a very large orbital sander that had about a 12 inch by 24 inch sanding pad.... 60 grit, 80 grit, 100 grit... I used a small belt sander and my own palm sander for the edging.
Put some golden oak stain on it, lastly 1 to 3 coats of clear with some sanding in between depending on the room. I was against the clock and needed dry time so only my parents bedroom got the full 3 coats. I'll be adding the other coats to tother rooms when time permits.
Overall... well worth it, they look outstanding. My brothers brother in law thought they were new.