Barack Obama suggests you get a "hybrid van" to accommodate twelve passengers. Too bad they don't exist.
I just serviced the back brakes on the 93 Ranger to celebrate passing NJ State Inspection. .. When I bought that truck two years ago I was pretty sure it had under 50k original miles. No seals leaking yet! I think it saw little use but then got pressed into service as a firewood delivery truck.
Anyway, the first day I had it on the road, the right front caliper seized and smoked up a storm 45 miles from home. I was able to pry the caliper from its death grip with the stock tire iron and limp home, afraid to apply the brakes. I got new loaded calipers, which are still very cheap for the Ranger.
New brake hoses too, worth doing and I've heard old hoses can cause caliper seizing problems.
I like to run some emery cloth around the inside of the drum to break the glaze, sand the shoes ever so lightly, adjust the shoes out since self-adjusters rarely work. I had been hearing a squeak, but the shoes have some miles left on them, prolly the semi-metallic causing the squeak. I send a lot of compressed air through the assembly to blow out the completely safe asbestos-free dusty dust while holding my breath for safety until the wind blows the cloud across the neighbor's property.
I chop the scale off the cast iron drums and give them a coat of spray paint to help them hold up a little while longer. Also took a tiny artists brush and applied a little Never-Seize to the shoe contact surfaces by prying the shoe off the backing plate.
I noticed feelable play in one of the back bearings, will have to worry about that later, no leaking rear seal though.
I've lost quite a few brake lines, always lucky with the location though. I just touched a garage door one time when the line blew just as I got home.
The driver's side drum was stubborn to come off. I took my air-impact gun to the back of the drum, gotta be careful not to chip off pieces of the brittle cast iron. Also pounded the drum radially on the ribs and on the front. No luck. I hate to squirt the drum with Liquid Wrench for fear of getting it on the shoes. Last resort. I took some light propane torch heat to the front of the drum and it finally gave up the ghost. The next step would have been oxy-acetylene. you know how rust can weld a drum to the axle. When I cleaned it up and put it back I smeared Never -Seize very thinly on the mating surface inside the drum for insurance.
Now I have to check the heater core and I hope it's a leak. Losing small amount of coolant. It would suck if there's a head gasket problem....