New Indiana forum

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:57 pm

Sorry, know nothing about freight transport. I just thought that since someone builds these things there must be some way to get bulk coal loaded on to a train in PA and delivered somewhere else. Not sure if it would be cheaper than just trucking it but it seems getting reasonably priced anthracite outside of PA must be possible somehow.
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:58 pm

I know Lehigh Anthracite has rail loading facilities. I'm guessing others might as well. Calling them about a bulk rail delivery might be a good place to start.
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:04 pm

If you could find a company that sells coal or other bulk materials in your area and has a rail siding, you might get them interested in a rail car load.
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace


Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: Woodfield1 On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Carbon12 wrote:If you could find a company that sells coal or other bulk materials in your area and has a rail siding, you might get them interested in a rail car load.



Good idea. Thanks Carbon.
Woodfield1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: KLook On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Search for train delivery on this forum. A couple years back we had this discussion about getting it to Maine in the same way. It is not easy and will not happen for a single car load. You need a siding and they cost $ and you need to get it off the train car and deliver it. There were some expert train people explaining it all.

Kevin
KLook
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF 3000
Coal Size/Type: rice, bagged, Blaschak
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman (Back In Maine)
Stove/Furnace Model: VF 3000

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:52 pm

I looked up train delivery. Looks complicated but not impossible. If you could get a bulk intermodal container filled at the breaker and transported to to your location via rail, that intermodal container could then be delivered by truck to whatever location you choose. Divvy it up however you like. Sounds easy, doesn't it!
Glad I live in PA and can, for now, get reasonably priced coal :)
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: Woodfield1 On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Carbon12 wrote:I looked up train delivery. Looks complicated but not impossible. If you could get a bulk intermodal container filled at the breaker and transported to to your location via rail, that intermodal container could then be delivered by truck to whatever location you choose. Divvy it up however you like. Sounds easy, doesn't it!
Glad I live in PA and can, for now, get reasonably priced coal :)


We do have a decent sized train yard in about 15 miles away ( Avon Indiana ). I plan to check out this idea. Thanks guys.
Woodfield1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: TLC2000

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:22 pm

Let us all know how you make out! The guys in New England would be especially interested.
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: McGiever On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:22 pm

FYI: A railcar filled w/ coal is 100 tons. :D

You can kick a little coal off just as it crosses from PA into Ohio. :lol:
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: Carbon12 On: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:42 pm

@ Mcgiever,.......Do they need to hire the Pinkerton Detectives to keep an eye on that train?!!? :D
Carbon12
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: freetown fred On: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:29 am

Looks like you guys best batten down the hatches--strong weather comin your way:( We're startin here as I type
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: focalpoint62 On: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:13 pm

focalpoint62 here

dealer in frankfort sells it by the bag or by the ton. by the bag it is $7 dollars. for a 40 pound bag of coal. Anthracite that is. the bag has ben franklin on it.. A fellow up in rochestrer supposedly is selling coal, but i have never verified it. Another dealer is up in napanee or shipshewana the amish sell it. By the bag or ton.

hope this helps

I know i have to get an all coal stove next year. My wonderluxe wood/coal stove is eating it like candy.
It takes about 1 1/2 bags or more to get thru a 24 hour period. 2 bags a day is expensive. What am i doing wrong? I have a barometric damper and i use the manual damper and the door spinners. seems like im not getting super hot heat out. I am heating a 1500 square foot house and it is staying about 72 . Any suggestions will be appreciate

thanks,

focalpoint62
focalpoint62
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: wonderluxe wood/coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: vogalzang
Stove/Furnace Model: wonderlux wood/coal

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: lsayre On: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:19 pm

focalpoint62 wrote:focalpoint62 here

dealer in frankfort sells it by the bag or by the ton. by the bag it is $7 dollars. for a 40 pound bag of coal. Anthracite that is. the bag has ben franklin on it.. A fellow up in rochestrer supposedly is selling coal, but i have never verified it. Another dealer is up in napanee or shipshewana the amish sell it. By the bag or ton.

hope this helps

I know i have to get an all coal stove next year. My wonderluxe wood/coal stove is eating it like candy.
It takes about 1 1/2 bags or more to get thru a 24 hour period. 2 bags a day is expensive. What am i doing wrong? I have a barometric damper and i use the manual damper and the door spinners. seems like im not getting super hot heat out. I am heating a 1500 square foot house and it is staying about 72 . Any suggestions will be appreciate

thanks,

focalpoint62


It's been frigid cold in Indiana the last few days. You are doing pretty good to be keeping the home at 72 degrees on only 1.5 to 2 bags of coal per day.

1-1/2 bags of anthracite per day is roughly yielding an output of 22,000 BTU's per hour. That sounds reasonable to me.

60 lbs. x 12,500 BTU's per pound x 70% efficiency / 24 hours = 21,875 BTU's per hour

80 lbs. per day would be closer to 30,000 BTU's per hour

You might consider buying your coal in bulk to save some money.
lsayre
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13 KW)

Re: New Indiana forum

PostBy: harley22 On: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:45 pm

I live just north of Evansville where can I buy coal
harley22