South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

Forum rules
ATTN Coal Dealers: To advertise your company you're allowed to start one new topic in "Coal Prices, Coal Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries and Reviews". You may also respond to other topics started by others where your company has been mentioned and are encouraged to do so. Any other posts just for advertising here or anywhere else on nepacrossroads.com will be considered spam and removed. Repeated violations will result in a permanent ban.

South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: winstonsmith On: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:42 pm

After years of purchasing coal from my local dealer"Blaschak " I am getting it from a different dealer that tells me he gets it from the South tamaqua coal pockets. Got any imput on the quality of coal that comes out of there? What type of ash? How does it work in a hand fired stove? Is this a mistake?
winstonsmith
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Franco Belge
Stove/Furnace Model: 1980's

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: 2001Sierra On: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Hand feds love white ash coal. Burn it and you will find out. Red ash tends to clinker when run hot. With white ash fly ash may need to be cleaned from your passage ways, as it fly's around easily, especially if you have a good drat while shaking the ashes.
2001Sierra
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34
Stove/Furnace Model: Keystoker 90 Chimney Vent

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: New Hope Engineer On: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:24 am

i have never had problems with south tamaqua,i used it 2 years ago though.i have some coal from premium fine located right behind south tamaqua coal pockets($150 a ton) and havent got a bad batch yet.i will also be using nut from harmony too this year,just waiting to take the ride up.
New Hope Engineer
 
Stove/Furnace Make: RUSSO
Stove/Furnace Model: CW-2

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:59 am

UAE Harmony's coal will spoil you.
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: jrn8265 On: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:16 am

I used Blaschak the past two years, paid $240 a ton, found another source for this year, he gets it from south tamaqua, premium coal also...looks very clean, no sticks, shiny, was washed.

I was nervous switching from blaschak so I fired up over the weekend to test this batch.

Surprisingly, the coal was harder to start than blaschak and burned brighter, less ash and more heat and I paid $215 a ton, so I am very happy!

Will order from him again!
jrn8265
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker Koker
Stove/Furnace Model: Koker 160

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: coal berner On: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:18 am

jrn8265 wrote:I used Blaschak the past two years, paid $240 a ton, found another source for this year, he gets it from south tamaqua, premium coal also...looks very clean, no sticks, shiny, was washed.

I was nervous switching from blaschak so I fired up over the weekend to test this batch.

Surprisingly, the coal was harder to start than blaschak and burned brighter, less ash and more heat and I paid $215 a ton, so I am very happy!

Will order from him again!

South Tamaqua Coal Pockets Inc. & American Premium Coal Co. are two different Companies Both are next to each other
They both buy raw coal from The Surface Mine Coal Companies in the surrounding area as well as from their own smaller surface mines they have .
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: Brian On: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Just recieved 4 ton from American Preimum, driver told me I was lucky the coal came from Lehigh and I must say this is the best coal I had in a long time burns very hot with a white ash. Bring on old man winter!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Brian
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska Kodiac

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: New Hope Engineer On: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:15 pm

Brian wrote:Just recieved 4 ton from American Preimum, driver told me I was lucky the coal came from Lehigh and I must say this is the best coal I had in a long time burns very hot with a white ash. Bring on old man winter!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

when i was at american premium i was told the coal is coming from thier own stripping operation and another local strip mine.they are not getting any coal from lehigh since the mine is closed. the coal they are running right now seems to be pretty good stuff. :)
New Hope Engineer
 
Stove/Furnace Make: RUSSO
Stove/Furnace Model: CW-2

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: Hot Rocks On: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:39 pm

I drive right by there & a few other breakers on my way to UAE Harmony Mine
Hot Rocks
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hyfire II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Water Coil

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: fishhunter On: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:27 pm

My dealer gets their coal from centralia coal sales and they say it comes from south tamaqua coal pockets. the last few years it has seemed like the same coal whte ash with some wood it it looks like mulch lots of fly ash. this year the coal is super clean and when you dump it in the hopper it sounds like you are dumping a bag of coins in, it is very red ash coal, zero flyash.This coal seems to be of much higher quality. the question is where the heck did this coal come from, I have always thought south tamaqua was white ash.
fishhunter
 
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: channing III

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: coal berner On: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:52 pm

fishhunter wrote:My dealer gets their coal from centralia coal sales and they say it comes from south tamaqua coal pockets. the last few years it has seemed like the same coal whte ash with some wood it it looks like mulch lots of fly ash. this year the coal is super clean and when you dump it in the hopper it sounds like you are dumping a bag of coins in, it is very red ash coal, zero flyash.This coal seems to be of much higher quality. the question is where the heck did this coal come from, I have always thought south tamaqua was white ash.

They have small surface mines and also use to buy a lot of raw coal from LC&N They are many small and large Surface mines in the area They buy from whom has the coal . Red Ash Or White ash the coal veins are next to each other so what every vein they hit that will be the coal they pull out By The Way Centralia coal buys from 12 different coal co.
Who every is cheaper to buy from that is the coal your going to get unless you ask for a particular one after all they are a coal broker. http://www.centraliacoal.com/l1.html
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: fishhunter On: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:07 pm

my dealer says they ask for South tamaqua every year because people like it but this coal is clearly different. It is red ash only and burns really hot. It is the cleanest looking coal I have ever seen.
fishhunter
 
Stove/Furnace Make: alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: channing III

Re: South tamaqua coal pockets coal?

PostBy: tcalo On: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:53 am

Hate to revive such an old thread. I bought my coal from a different supplier this year and they told me it came from the South Tamaqua mines. Is there a particular name brand to this coal or is it recognized by its location? For example, Blaschak, Kimmels, Reading? I've been getting an extremely high white ash content from this coal. No clinkers though no matter how hot I run the stove. Good heat output. The reason I ask is I like to compare coal from each season.
tcalo
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Coal Stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite

Visit Lehigh Anthracite