Stove on Bit coal

Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: Sting On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:41 am

Did a search

didn't find any definitive answer

Is there a list or are there even any new appliances available these days --> air scorching stoves that self feed bit coal from a built in hopper?

Anthracite is 9 bucks a 50 lb bag here - so pellets and corn would be less but a big trailer of Bit can be had for about half that.

Too darn old to build another multibuilding wet system for my retirement place, so I am thinking about a stove r two per building to huddle around.

I suppose I could rediscover hand feeding -even maybe doing a kitchen cooking stove/oven thing for a seasonal grin - but lets just keep that option in our vest pocket for now.
Sting
 
Other Heating: BurnHAM=NG-gas

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: Berlin On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:30 pm

nothing new being built, the combustioneer model 77 and stokermatic equivalent can be found from time to time used and often in good condtion. then just get yourself a truckload of low ash pea stoker. these underfeed stoves burn anthracite just fine too as well as pellets.
Berlin
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: Short Bus On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:38 pm

I'm not completely sure but a off the shelf furnace or stoker stove for Bit coal are not readily available, check with Peasefeedandcoal.com, Wyoming, I think, or Coalandheat.com, Alaska. I don't think either has a stoker stove for Bit

EFM did some nice test with Bit coal, worked good, I don't think he sells a stoker stove, although he has a stoker furnace.

Liesure line has a dealer in Wyoming, ccant@wyoming.com those units probalby get Bit run through them.

I'd like to try some in a Keystoker, I think it would work.

Again not sure but most Bit is sold in the 7/8" up to 1 1/2" size, and these stoker stoves like Pea and Barley sizes, maybe there is a Bit dealer with smaller sizes down there.

I'm sort of out of the loop, being in Alaska, getting tempted to buy a used stoker stove to experiment with, I think it will need to come from anthricite country.

Please Forum members prove me wrong.
Last edited by Short Bus on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Short Bus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only


Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: coal berner On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:47 pm

Short Bus wrote:I'm not completely sure but a off the shelf furnace or stoker stove for Bit coal are not readily available, check with Peasefeedandcoal.com, Wyoming, I think, or Coalandheat.com, Alaska. I don't think either has a stoker stove for Bit

EFM did some nice test with Bit coal, worked good, I don't think he sells a stoker stove, although he has an stoker furnace.

Liesure line has a dealer in Wyoming, ccant@wyoming.com those units probalby get Bit run through them.

I'd like to try some in a Keystoker, I think it would work.

Again not sure but most Bit is sold in the 7/8" up to 1 1/2" size, and these stoker stoves like Pea and Barley sizes, maybe there is a Bit dealer with smaller sizes down there.

I'm sort of out of the loop, being in Alaska, getting tempted to buy a used stoker stove to experiment with, I think it will need to come from anthricite country.

Please Forum members prove me wrong.


http://www.sizes.com/materls/coal_bituminous.htm

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF4/492.html

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF4/499.html


http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/minres/bmr/annualreport/2009/bituminous.htm
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.



http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deputate/minres/bmr/annualreport/2009/Anthracite.htm
This link is broken, either the page no longer exists or there is some other issue like a typo.
Last edited by coal berner on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: Short Bus On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:48 pm

I forgot Will-Burt is still selling underfed Bit coal stokers, he has no heat exchangers though, just the burner and bin.
Short Bus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: rockwood On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:59 pm

I don't know of anyone making small coal furnaces designed for bituminous stoker coal either. There are a couple companies making stoker/boilers that use bituminous stoker coal but they are quite large/expensive.

There is a stokermatic for sale for 100$ and a combustioneer (just the stoker unit only) for 100$ out here but these are no where near you :(
rockwood
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic coal furnace
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Soft coal: Lump and stoker (slack coal)

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: coal berner On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:14 pm

Look for used units. or call the companies Numbers below in the links I am sure one of them can help find something

http://www.ironfireman.com/

http://www.peasefeedandcoal.com/Stokermatic.html


BIG Ones

Most of the hand fed boilers with the combustion fans over the fire will burn Bit coal



http://www.newyorkerboiler.com/products ... al_wood/wc

http://www.marathonheaterco.com/boilers.html
Last edited by Richard S. on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: <removed dead links>
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: Short Bus On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:22 pm

I think Coal Burner proved your point Sting.
coal berner wrote:http://www.iclassifieds.com/forsale/hom ... eater.html

This is a nice lead on a used uint.
coal berner wrote:http://www.detroitstoker.com/downloads/ ... re/ABB.pdf

Big stuff, muti million BTU
coal berner wrote:http://www.willburt.com/cm/productCoalStokers.asp

I've talked with these guys, great burner, no heat exchanger
coal berner wrote:http://www.ironfireman.com/

Oil burners only.
coal berner wrote:http://www.peasefeedandcoal.com/Stokermatic.html

Possibly your best hope
coal berner wrote:http://www.newhorizoncorp.com/ekocoal.php

Boilers, and hand fed, no stoker stoves.
coal berner wrote:http://firstechservices.com/boilers.htm BIG Ones

Big ones, Yes.
The rest of these apear to be hand fed and or boilers
coal berner wrote:http://www.royallfurnace.com/products/i ... oiler.html

http://www.newyorkerboiler.com/products ... al_wood/wc

http://www.marathonheaterco.com/boilers.html

The Bit stoker stove market is not serviced with a off the shelf, dealer network serviced unit, could be Bit in the residence is just to dusty, coal and ash. Certainly no one is banging a gong trying to get you to buy one. Just the oposite of Liesure line, Keystoker and Harmon.
Short Bus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: Berlin On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Bit coal works just fine in the home, and in a stoker performs no differently than anthracite in regards to ash/dust/mess. In fact good eastern bituminous coal can have higher btu's and less ash than most anthracite. One of the main reasons that you see anthracite stoves still in production and the market doing fairly well for home heating is simply because anthracite is only competative in home heating. The bit coal mining companies don't like to waste their time and money producing nice, uniform sizes of coal that are only good for home heating - the market is just too small for the trouble. A large part of the trouble in finding good bit stokers is the difficulty in finding properly sized bit coal with the performance requirements that home heating requires. (low ash, low coke buton, high fsi, minimum of fines etc. ) It can be done, but go to any anthracite supplier and you'll find a range of properly sized anthracite and precisely because they sell it for the purpose of home heating, you know it will roughly be of the quality necessary to burn decently well in your appliance; it's not like going to many bituminous suppliers that are loading unit trains and dozens of trucks an hour and picking up a few tons they set aside for the locals that heat with it - the exact specs of the coal? sometimes its anyone's guess how well it will work, it will burn, but for home heating how well?? The reason for the lack of bituminous specific appliances for the home is mostly due to the difficulty in finding a fuel supplier that has everything you need.
Berlin
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Will-Burt Combustioneer 77B
Coal Size/Type: Ohio BITUMINOUS pea stoker coal

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:32 pm

Berlin wrote:Bit coal works just fine in the home, and in a stoker performs no differently than anthracite in regards to ash/dust/mess. In fact good eastern bituminous coal can have higher btu's and less ash than most anthracite. One of the main reasons that you see anthracite stoves still in production and the market doing fairly well for home heating is simply because anthracite is only competative in home heating. The bit coal mining companies don't like to waste their time and money producing nice, uniform sizes of coal that are only good for home heating - the market is just too small for the trouble. A large part of the trouble in finding good bit stokers is the difficulty in finding properly sized bit coal with the performance requirements that home heating requires. (low ash, low coke buton, high fsi, minimum of fines etc. ) It can be done, but go to any anthracite supplier and you'll find a range of properly sized anthracite and precisely because they sell it for the purpose of home heating, you know it will roughly be of the quality necessary to burn decently well in your appliance; it's not like going to many bituminous suppliers that are loading unit trains and dozens of trucks an hour and picking up a few tons they set aside for the locals that heat with it - the exact specs of the coal? sometimes its anyone's guess how well it will work, it will burn, but for home heating how well?? The reason for the lack of bituminous specific appliances for the home is mostly due to the difficulty in finding a fuel supplier that has everything you need.


I agree totally. Bituminous is all anybody uses back home. Anthracite is unheard of. When I lived in East Tennessee, in Knoxville; I had 7 different dealers to choose from and they all had basically two sizes of coal. Stoker coal, dry or oiled and lump coal which came in sizes anywhere from small pieces to small boulder sized lumps. All the dealers told you where the coal came from and all had spec sheets with the characteristics of the coal they were selling. In fact a lot of the good Kentucky coal is better in quality than a lot of the Anthracite you get here. Rich Mountain coal for example, rendered over 14,000 BTU's per pound with less than 1% Sulfur and 2% ash. I bought that for $40 dollars a ton. This was back in the late 1980's, early 1990's. I'm sure it is not much more expensive now. If I could get that coal here at the same price that I got it back home. That's what I would be burning in the Base Burner right now.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: Sting On: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Berlin wrote: The reason for the lack of bituminous specific appliances for the home is mostly due to the difficulty in finding a fuel supplier that has everything you need.


point taken and the light bulb comes on --

simply because I can get it, What will it be

and that written - a body could screen out the big chunks - but then what?

build a crusher - or shovel the chunks on - but if its already a stoker, shoveling on chunks would simply overload a small(ish) stove.

hummm - this little dreaming exercise is beginning to become a "Bit" of sick nostalgia.

soooooo -- go big ( and I got that in the barn but it still needs consistent quality size fuel ) or go home - Translation =stick with a modern NG fired central appliance.

I was hoping I had missed picking up on that silver bullet --

Image
Sting
 
Other Heating: BurnHAM=NG-gas

Re: Stove on Bit coal

PostBy: charlie On: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:35 pm

I know where you can find a couple of Prills.
charlie
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Prill and Tulikivi
Stove/Furnace Model: 200 BF and TTU 2700