Cleaning Plate

Cleaning Plate

PostBy: jockel On: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:06 pm

I added a particularly wet back of Rice into my hopper this week and the deluge of water put out the stove. I think the plate is now partially clogged. The stove still operates but I think I may need to clean the blower plate. What is the best way to do that?
jockel
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono Back

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: WNY On: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Piece of wire or drill bit to clean out the holes. Also, you can gently lift the grate up and off after removing the stoker and slide plate to get under the burn plate.
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:54 pm

A 1/8" drill bit is used for the holes . If you remove the grate for cleaning make sure the gasket is in place and low enough to not interfere with the carpet when it is re installed . Dave
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Visit Leisure Line Stove

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: jockel On: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:01 pm

I have never taken the mechanicals apart on the stove. I will shut it down and let it cool and then try clearing the holes with a 1/8th bit. Any harm to leaving the plate in place and punching through the holes?

I have started to dump the bags in a large planter with a drain bottom to let the water run out for a couple hours before loading the hopper. Some bags certainly leave much more water behind than others. It is all Blackshak and other than that one time I think it is fine rice coal.
jockel
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono Back

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: WNY On: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:25 am

No problem, you can just reach in and clean them out, you don't have remove, just an air space under the grates.

When you do your spring maintenance, you can unbolt the combustion fan and use a small vaccuum to clean out UNDER the grates too if you think you might have fines in there.
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Removing the grate is a real simple process ,its best if the hopper is empty . Just lift and pull the front edge it will come right out . Make sure the gasket is in place then slide the grate back getting the front groove over the lip then pushing down and end with a good tap with a soft hammer or block of wood . I will see if I can get some pics of the process . Dave
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Here is a side view of the feeder . I will get a pic of the grate tomorrow with the gasket installed .This shows the feeder gasket but that is not what I am trying to show . You cannot see the gasket in tis pic . Dave
Attachments
Presentation1.jpg
(47.13 KiB) Viewed 81 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]23052[/nepathumb]
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: jockel On: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:46 pm

That is very helpful. I will shut down this weekend and use the drill bit to clear the holes. Sounds like it shouldn't take too long to do it.
jockel
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono Back

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: smith10210 On: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:42 am

Flyer5 wrote:Here is a side view of the feeder . I will get a pic of the grate tomorrow with the gasket installed .This shows the feeder gasket but that is not what I am trying to show . You cannot see the gasket in tis pic . Dave
Presentation1.jpg


Just curious what's the partial plate thats covering the combustion blower for? Increase air flow?. I don't have that on mine just curious. With all this talk about the gasket on the back of the grate im going to check mine i don't recall having one with my stove when i purchased it.
smith10210
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: Flyer5 On: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:51 am

smith10210 wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:Here is a side view of the feeder . I will get a pic of the grate tomorrow with the gasket installed .This shows the feeder gasket but that is not what I am trying to show . You cannot see the gasket in tis pic . Dave
Presentation1.jpg


Just curious what's the partial plate thats covering the combustion blower for? Increase air flow?. I don't have that on mine just curious. With all this talk about the gasket on the back of the grate im going to check mine i don't recall having one with my stove when i purchased it.





The 1/2 moon plate is used on the Hyfire II and the Econo / Lil Heater ,It is used to limit the air into the stove . The gasket is installed during assembly of the feeder . Dave
Flyer5
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: bksaun On: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:40 am

Be careful with the wet coal, if it put your fire out, it may have cracked your grate.

The best thing I have found to dry mine out is a muck tub, I cut a few holes in the bottom and lay a piece of plastic screen over them, then set it on a couple of bricks with a plastic mortar tub under that to catch the water.

This set up holds 2 bags of rice (80lbs)

Tub.jpg
(83.54 KiB) Viewed 15 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Muck tub set in plastic mortar mixing tub
[nepathumb]23351[/nepathumb]
bksaun
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid, Gentleman Janitor GJ-6RSU/ EFM 700
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Pea Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer/ EFM-Gentleman Janitor
Stove/Furnace Model: 503 Insert/ 700/GJ-62

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: smith10210 On: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
smith10210 wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:Here is a side view of the feeder . I will get a pic of the grate tomorrow with the gasket installed .This shows the feeder gasket but that is not what I am trying to show . You cannot see the gasket in tis pic . Dave
Presentation1.jpg


Just curious what's the partial plate thats covering the combustion blower for? Increase air flow?. I don't have that on mine just curious. With all this talk about the gasket on the back of the grate im going to check mine i don't recall having one with my stove when i purchased it.





The 1/2 moon plate is used on the Hyfire II and the Econo / Lil Heater ,It is used to limit the air into the stove . The gasket is installed during assembly of the feeder . Dave

Im taking the grate off as we speak i had to assemble my stove when i had it shipped to me from Jerry a few years back i might have installed it i dont recall will see soon. Also why would you want to limit the air flow on those models but not the pioneer and ponco?. I would think you would want max air flow . Thanks edit yes as i recall the feeder is all one unit when i got it now that im looking at it. I'll check it anyway because i usually lift the grate up enough to get the end of my vacuum cleaner in there every season to suck up the fine particles of ash etc maybe i sucked it up its probably disintegrated by now. I have this gasket i just bought to use on both doors of my pioneer and have some extra would this work? Yes there was a gasket on there didnt see it at first needs to be replaced anyway.

-Andrew
<removed dead image link>
Last edited by Richard S. on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: <removed dead image link>
smith10210
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: WNY On: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Looks like it should work, just make sure it's not above the edge of the grate, so the stoker plate doesn't get caught on it....if a little wider, make sure the excess in UNDER the grate.

if you look at the Tips/Tricks thread, it shows you this gasket
Tips & Tricks
WNY
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Re: Cleaning Plate

PostBy: smith10210 On: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:50 pm

WNY wrote:Looks like it should work, just make sure it's not above the edge of the grate, so the stoker plate doesn't get caught on it....if a little wider, make sure the excess in UNDER the grate.

if you look at the Tips/Tricks thread, it shows you this gasket
Tips & Tricks

Gotcha im just letting the Rutlands gasket adhesive set for an hour or so than ill reassemble and fire her up. Those bolts holding the feeder assembly on look like they will snap of if i had to replace it. Im hoping for a 110btu feeder at some point for it :idea: If i had to do it over again i would have bought the Pocono.
smith10210
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: 50-93

Visit Leisure Line Stove