I've been grinding, welding, fitting, and finally painting the base for the boiler. I took it out to the boiler room to postion it and see just how level my concrete floor was. I will only need to raise one end of the base by about 1/2". Not too bad.
I did a trial assembly to check fit and auger tube dimensions for the coal bin that will be in the back right corner of the boiler room. In the photo I have already removed the motor and fan mount. But I did have the whole drive mechanism installed an running.
Forum member europachris stopped by on his way to a business meeting, and we ran the boiler's motor and mechanisms... it is pretty 'energetic' !! I'd say the auger rotates at around 20-40 rpm. [EDIT: it's about 15 rpm] Much faster than I had expected. It was quite interesting to watch all the rollers follow ecentrics, move levers, click over ratchet teeth, move the grate back and forth.
I hope to get a coat of paint on the boiler itself this weekend and get the unit in place and maybe even plumbed by Nov 3rd or 4th.
Chris found the serial number and date stamped on the end of the boiler: it was built in 1950.... the boiler is older than I am. No wonder it needed so much rebuilding!!