I've had a few problems.
I ran the Boiler last weekend, the 10th thru 12th. I worked my way through drive belt issues, a few leaks from heat expansion, and I thought I was done with the motor issues...
So when I left tuesday the 13th for a five day assignment at work, I thought I was all set for the week, but it was not to be. My caretaker checked on the boiler at 6pm tuesday, and the circuit breaker had opened, and the motor would not start, just hummed, I had him spin the motor by hand and try again, but no luck. He also said the fire was out, with the water temperature on the low pin.
So I talked my caretaker through reseting the water valves to put ' Big Bertha' back in business. 'Bertha' has been keeping the place warm all week.
So I got back home today, Saturday the 17th, I installed the original fan motor, with noisy bearings and missing cooling fan. The difference is amazing. Both motors are rated 1/2 horse, but the new, higher effeciency one just doesn't have the starting torque of the old one. The lights would dim and the fan/auger would take several seconds to accelerate up to speed. With the old original motor, the fan/auger is up to speed in 1-2 seconds without any dimming of the lights or hesitation. The old motor is noisy, I'm hoping the bearings will last till Monday when I'm buying a new motor and replacement bearings to refurb the old motor for a spare.
Also, every threaded fitting where I threaded black pipe into a brass ball valve has started leaking, so while the water was cold and the fire cold, I drained and resealed the threaded fittings with RTV instead of pipe sealant. I should have used RTV the first time !!
I refilled the boiler and was going to start a new fire, but there still was a fire going !! This is after five days with no shaking of the ash drawer, or fan induced draft !! I'm very surprised. So I just started the fan, and soon there were blue flames and fresh coal coming up the auger droping on the fire.
So for now I'm back in business, I'll see how the AA does over the next few days, and I'll install a fresh new 'Farm Duty' motor on Monday. Maybe I'll find time to build my bigger coal bin tomorrow.