First lets keep this in mind There is a big Difference between the two One will kill you and one will not .
you can have one present with out the other or both can be present . Small Amounts of Sulphur dioxide will not kill you
only in large amounts over a long period of time Carbon Monoxide will kill you.
Your Co detector will not go off with Sulphur dioxide. Only Carbon Monoxide present so having a Sulphur smell does not
mean you have Carbon Monoxide present. If it is then the detector will show / go off .
Carbon Monoxide (CO)
Unvented kerosene and gas space heaters; leaking chimneys and furnaces; back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces; gas stoves; generators and other gasoline powered equipment; automobile exhaust from attached garages; and tobacco smoke. Incomplete oxidation during combustion in gas ranges and unvented gas or kerosene heaters may cause high concentrations of CO in indoor air. Worn or poorly adjusted and maintained combustion devices (e.g., boilers, furnaces) can be significant sources, or if the flue is improperly sized, blocked, disconnected, or is leaking. Auto, truck, or bus exhaust from attached garages, nearby roads, or parking areas can also be a source
Health Effects Associated with Carbon Monoxide
At low concentrations, fatigue in healthy people and chest pain in people with heart disease. At higher concentrations, impaired vision and coordination; headaches; dizziness; confusion; nausea. Can cause flu-like symptoms that clear up after leaving home. Fatal at very high concentrations. Acute effects are due to the formation of carboxyhemoglobin in the blood, which inhibits oxygen intake. At moderate concentrations, angina, impaired vision, and reduced brain function may result. At higher concentrations, CO exposure can be fatal
Levels in Homes
Average levels in homes without gas stoves vary from 0.5 to 5 parts per million (ppm). Levels near properly adjusted gas stoves are often 5 to 15 ppm and those near poorly adjusted stoves may be 30 ppm or higher
Steps to Reduce Exposure to Carbon Monoxide
It is most important to be sure combustion equipment is maintained and properly adjusted. Vehicular use should be carefully managed adjacent to buildings and in vocational programs. Additional ventilation can be used as a temporary measure when high levels of CO are expected for short periods of time.
Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.
•Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one.
•Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.
•Install and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
•Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
•Choose properly sized wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standards. Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.
•Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating system (furnaces, flues, and chimneys) annually. Repair any leaks promptly.
•Do not idle the car inside garage
Standards or Guidelines
The OSHA standard for workers is no more than 50 ppm for 1 hour of exposure. NIOSH recommends no more than 35 ppm for 1 hour. The U.S. National Ambient Air Quality Standards for CO (established in 1985) are 9 ppm for 8 hours and 35 ppm for 1 hour. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends levels not to exceed 15 ppm for 1 hour or 25 ppm for 8 hours
Sulphur is found naturally in coal. It is composed primarily of carbon and hydrogen along with small quantities of other elements, notably sulfur, therefore, burning the coal will result in deposition of these elements and compounds in the burner. so its highly likely that the sulphurous smell is indeed coming from your coal burner
It is probably not a problem, provided the storage area has some ventilation. What you are smelling is sulphur dioxide gas, formed from the decomposition of small amounts of pyrite in the coal. This is quite normal. The presence of pyrite varies significantly between coal derived from various sources, or even from within the same coal seam. Sulphur dioxide is toxic in large quantities, but if dilute or in a well ventilated area shouldn't be a problem
Lots of coal has some sulfur in them (true for some petroleum too). It should not be a health problem and it should not raise the chance of explosion either. But the smell is disgusting to most people and it will penetrate every thing you have, including you. You can make a point of buying cleaner coal if you are worried about it