coal prices in new hampshire

Forum rules
ATTN Coal Dealers: To advertise your company you're allowed to start one new topic in "Coal Prices, Coal Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries and Reviews". You may also respond to other topics started by others where your company has been mentioned and are encouraged to do so. Any other posts just for advertising here or anywhere else on nepacrossroads.com will be considered spam and removed. Repeated violations will result in a permanent ban.

coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: bowlan On: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:28 pm

are there any people on here from new hampshire.\if so i am research the use and demand for Anthracite coal.
currently coal suppliers are scarce in new hampshire but if there were a demand we would become a coal supplier.
please leave let us know.
Last edited by bowlan on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bowlan
 

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: whistlenut On: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:33 pm

Where are you located? There are quite a few dealers already, but the 'need' does not seem to lacking. I met some folks today who paid 380/ton delivered. Ouch!
whistlenut
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: Wardner On: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:31 am

The problem with buying coal from dealers in northern New England is the shipping. The freight costs can be more than the product cost. Of course this situation applies to all outlying areas.

I made the suggestion several years ago that this forum should start a transportation registry whereby people who need shipping could interface with shippers. Those truckers could be guys with pickups or others with 18 wheelers. It doesn't matter. There has to be plenty of people passing through NEPA as deadheads looking to offset their costs. The idea didn't go very far. Forum management didn't like it.

We are going to have to witness the effects of peak oil before comparatively reasonably priced coal comes to NH. Somebody will purchase coal by the carload (50-100 ton RR hoppers) and unload it via conveyors into elevated silos. Purchases could be made with a credit card 24/7. Buyer would select how many tons they want and a clamshell bucket would cycle the required number of times. This would be somewhat similar to purchasing bulk Black Beauty coal slag sandblasting grit at the Bow, NH power plant. There are railroad sidings all over New England. I can think of several locations in my town.
Wardner
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hass and Sohn
Baseburners & Antiques: Pot belly
Coal Size/Type: Stove
Other Heating: Shenandoah coal/wood

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: bowlan On: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:32 am

whistlenut wrote:Where are you located? There are quite a few dealers already, but the 'need' does not seem to lacking. I met some folks today who paid 380/ton delivered. Ouch!

i am in sunapee,n.h.
380 a ton seems high.
but i havent talked with Reading Anthracite yet on prices so i cant say for sure.
i researched coal dealers in n.h. and found only three in n.h. but i think the reason for lack of coal suppliers up this end is do to lack of demand so i am researching that now.
bowlan
 

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: bowlan On: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:36 am

Wardner wrote:The problem with buying coal from dealers in northern New England is the shipping. The freight costs can be more than the product cost. Of course this situation applies to all outlying areas.

I made the suggestion several years ago that this forum should start a transportation registry whereby people who need shipping could interface with shippers. Those truckers could be guys with pickups or others with 18 wheelers. It doesn't matter. There has to be plenty of people passing through NEPA as deadheads looking to offset their costs. The idea didn't go very far. Forum management didn't like it.

We are going to have to witness the effects of peak oil before comparatively reasonably priced coal comes to NH. Somebody will purchase coal by the carload (50-100 ton RR hoppers) and unload it via conveyors into elevated silos. Purchases could be made with a credit card 24/7. Buyer would select how many tons they want and a clamshell bucket would cycle the required number of times. This would be somewhat similar to purchasing bulk Black Beauty coal slag sandblasting grit at the Bow, NH power plant. There are railroad sidings all over New England. I can think of several locations in my town.

actualy the train goes threw cleremont so it would make cense to ship large amount by rain,but then again i dont know what rail shipping runs these days ether.
you are right about rail shipping. the train goes directly threw cleremont with several unload sites. but i can say from living here all my live coal use has dropped to the point were it is no longer stocked in stores.
bowlan
 

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: lowfog01 On: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:11 am

bowlan wrote:
whistlenut wrote:Where are you located? There are quite a few dealers already, but the 'need' does not seem to lacking. I met some folks today who paid 380/ton delivered. Ouch!

i am in sunapee,n.h.
380 a ton seems high.
but i havent talked with Reading Anthracite yet on prices so i cant say for sure.
i researched coal dealers in n.h. and found only three in n.h. but i think the reason for lack of coal suppliers up this end is do to lack of demand so i am researching that now.


You may want to put more thought into the brand of coal you are considering selling. Reading Anthracite doesn't have the best reputation for burning efficiently . I personally would drive further to get anything but Reading. There has been a lot of conversation on the forum on the qualities of Reading Anthracite. Check it out the search function in the upper right hand corner. Good Luck, Lisa
lowfog01
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: Chuck_Steak On: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:46 pm

bowlan wrote: i am in sunapee,n.h.
380 a ton seems high.
but i havent talked with Reading Anthracite yet on prices so i cant say for sure.
i researched coal dealers in n.h. and found only three in n.h. but i think the reason for lack of coal suppliers up this end is do to lack of demand so i am researching that now.


I don't know what your particular situation is for picking up your
own, but Kimmels is 289, Blaschak is 299 here in the Rochester/Dover area..
Shipping just went up, and Blaschak just went up.. double whammy...

Dan

Oh... and Lisa is right, you should really try to steer clear of the Reading.... if possible...
Chuck_Steak
 
Coal Size/Type: mostly nut, sometimes stove, Santa brand
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: Mark III

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: mason coal burner On: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:12 pm

i'm getting bulk coal just over the border in baldwinville MA for 245 per ton picked up . thats hard to beat . i've had no problems .
mason coal burner
 
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer/glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: 82/111

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: bowlan On: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:42 pm

mason coal burner wrote:i'm getting bulk coal just over the border in baldwinville MA for 245 per ton picked up . thats hard to beat . i've had no problems .

what is the dealer prices does any one know what that would be.
i dont burn coal i was thinking more in dealing coal up here in my area.
i dont actualy know if i would do it yet because i havent finneshed market demand research yet.
i dont think the demand exist uo here so i am just researching the idea.
i would buy direct and send trucks down to pick it up.
let me know if any one has any info on what dealers pay for bulk coal.
i used reading as an example
bowlan
 

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: sandman On: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:48 pm

mason coal burner wrote:i'm getting bulk coal just over the border in baldwinville MA for 245 per ton picked up . thats hard to beat . i've had no problems .



wheres the dealer in baldwinville?
do they have rice?

thanks
sandman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: harman
Stove/Furnace Model: VF3000, mark III sf150&250

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: mason coal burner On: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:03 pm

you can get coal in PA for 150 per ton plus trucking . this guy does it on the side as a hobby . alone i don't think its a money maker . if people had any idea about the truth of coal alot more people would burn it . everyone around me burns wood . if we could educate them alot of them would convert . they are to close minded . i don't remember seeing rice but call them . his name is ernie 978-939-8969 . he is about a half or so north of the high school on a side street on the right . i think its laural st . in a small barn on the left .
mason coal burner
 
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer/glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: 82/111

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: bowlan On: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:26 am

mason coal burner wrote:you can get coal in PA for 150 per ton plus trucking . this guy does it on the side as a hobby . alone i don't think its a money maker . if people had any idea about the truth of coal alot more people would burn it . everyone around me burns wood . if we could educate them alot of them would convert . they are to close minded . i don't remember seeing rice but call them . his name is ernie 978-939-8969 . he is about a half or so north of the high school on a side street on the right . i think its laural st . in a small barn on the left .


ha,
i agree with you on educating people on coal and i agree with you about them being nero minded.
they burn wood up here also. heating with coal went out 30 years or so.
if oil and gas prises shot threw the rood then it would be a good time to invest in a coal service up here but at this point there is nit enough demand to do it.
and if dealer pricing is 150 a ton it simply wouldent be a money maker when trucking is figured in.
even at 150 a ton people up here would burn wood before buying a ton of coal.
bowlan
 

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: whistlenut On: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:30 am

Bowlan, what size and how much do you use? We can easily get a TT load here in a couple weeks, bulk or bagged.
I've seen the bagged prices rise higher than the nuts on a giraffe lately, and I wonder why.
We could buy a full load from a dealer here already, but Keene, Laconia, and West Lebanon are in the mid to high 300's/ton.
Talk of a coal yard locally is great, but accessing a rail siding are not so easily accomplished.
Concord, Keene, Charleston, Claremont, and West Lebanon have the ability right now, and LaValley's brings lumber into Claremont all the time, as does NHDOT and private companies for bulk salt delivery. They have all the goodies to handle bottom dump cars and the ability to do other types of handling. Carroll Concrete brings in 'dust' in bulk rail containers and offloads from the sidings that could be used for coal. The problem is that it really isn't that much easier for the coal companies to do rail where we live. I call for a load, I get a delivery date and time, 8 hrs driving time one way, 505 miles. Done! 100 ton rail cars would be great, but the silo or bulk storage areas and equipment to make it happen have been dismantled 40 to 60 years ago.
Very sad to see.....I remember as a little kid seeing 20-100 ton coal cars sitting on the wooden rail bridge on the way to Ascutney. Always wondered how a one hundred thirty year old bridge made of wood could easily outlast a 20 year old interstate bridge and safely support tremendous loads even today......progress......right!

I'm only 15 miles east of you, so PM me and I can get you hooked up. I know a few coal burners in Sunapee, and each has different supplier. Soooooooo, if you choose one supplier over another, we are all in bed with that result for a season.
Coal Berner has the best advice on what is what on the supply side, and other forum members offer results of their own experiences. You get what you pay for, but experience is a great educator. I have rebuilt dozens of boiler and you can see what lousy coal did to the insides of the combustion chambers. When you see a 60 year old AA 260 that looks just like new inside, one has to wonder who's coal was burned in it. However I've seem AA's with the swirl chamber totally packed and know that someone was burning crap coal , and did no maintenance at all. I have dealt with reputable suppliers for 38 years now, and have not been screwed by anyone of them. Lisa's comment goes a long way also: cheapest does not mean equal quality. I know a couple guys waaaaay south and west of here that bought some $110/ton coal. What do you think their BTU output is? Ash content? Clinker size?

Long story shortened: I am up for the 'Coal Yard Operation' and central enough to do it. It all takes money, and a cooperative effort might be the key. Look at Bob way up in Fort Kent, his bagged price is no different than PA prices.
Trucking is the unknown factor, and like Bob's good fortune, the Maine truckers up there export one product and the rigs could head back empty, or have a return leg loaded with 'Black Gold' from NEPA. If you are down in the Rochester/Dover area you all know of a great source. Member 'Chuck_Steak' has a working relationship with those fine folks. :idea: :idea: :roll: :o
whistlenut
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: Yanche On: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:34 am

Seems to me the practical way to get bulk coal a long distance from PA is to find a reliable trucker that's returning empty. Then buy enough of the large bulk bags that can be offloaded with a forklift or jib crane. Find a PA coal source that can easily load the bags. Locally arrange for delivery of the bulk bags using trucks that have fork lifts sticking out there rear end. The big box home centers contract lumber delivery out. The truck my have their name on it but it's a contractor. Make a deal with him, I'm sure he would love the extra business. Very little in capital investment, just a job of logistics and scheduling.

How's the "Rock of Ages" delivery all the tombstones? Their trucks likely have what's needed and they may be returning empty.
Yanche
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Re: coal prices in new hampshire

PostBy: whistlenut On: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:03 am

The logistics can be an issue, and the 'Rock of Ages' trucks do not do contract hauling. Your idea is great, and some of us have pursued it already, but it is like the pellet distribution issue.....everyone wants a piece of the pie, and coal suppliers don't want the 'Drama' that goes with it. It is the financial waste-stream that makes it tough. Someone has to bite the bullet and step up, and that is a huge commitment.

By the way, Swensen Granite is the 'Go To company' for all the permanent markers.
Look at their website: www.swensongranite.com They are great folks and are a class act.

Do you have someone in mind that needs a 'special weight' to keep them down? :lol: :shock: :D :roll:
whistlenut
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ&VanWert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks Boiler,Itasca415,NYer130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska-4,Keystoker-2,
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska,Gibraltor,Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Van Wert, NYer's, Ford,Jensen.
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck,Pea,Nut&Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Visit Lehigh Anthracite