Lighting nut coal

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: mason coal burner On: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:17 pm

to get wood i would go around your area to construction sites and raid their dumpsters for cut offs . very dry wood will light easy . becareful of nails . they won't mind . i work in construction people do it all the time .
mason coal burner
 
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer/glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: 82/111

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:20 pm

cowboy charcoal......... its a no brainer..........
IMG_3166.JPG
(109.43 KiB) Viewed 7 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]25259[/nepathumb]


you will be amazed...... ;)
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 pm

I buy that charcoal bags at a time. I always have a stock of it. There are currently 4 bags in the small shed on my deck incase I need them. I had 5 but I used a bag to fire up the DS two weeks ago.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: Poconoeagle On: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm On Fire wrote:I buy that charcoal bags at a time. I always have a stock of it. There are currently 4 bags in the small shed on my deck incase I need them. I had 5 but I used a bag to fire up the DS two weeks ago.



yep i keep a bag to get a fire going and better yet I also use it to cook steaks on the weber grill!! :shock: :woot:

it will get coal going cause it gets going!
Poconoeagle
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Buckwalter & Co. , EFM520
Stove/Furnace Model: No. 28 Glenwood 1880, Alaska

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: McGiever On: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:12 am

For those who cannot locate Cowboy Charcoal, try your Walmart, around here it's called Royal Oak (in RED Bag) 100% Real Wood Charcoal...same as Cowboy.
McGiever
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN MAGNUM
Hand Fed Coal Stove: RADIANT HOME AIR BLAST
Baseburners & Antiques: OUR GLENWOOD 111 BASEBURNER "1908"
Coal Size/Type: PEA / ANTHRACITE, NUT-STOVE / ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump
Stove/Furnace Make: Hydro Heat /Mega Tek

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: david78 On: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 am

I use a little kindling and a few chunks of bit coal to get anthracite going. I don't know if all bit coal is the same, but this stuff I've got could almost be lit with a match.
david78
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller & Warren Splendid Oak 27
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: Tim On: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 am

I guess I have it lucky ...I make kitchen cabinets for a living and have an endless supply of Hardwood blocks 3/4" thick by 3"X5" @ 6% or less in mouisture content....the Red Oak ones that do not make it as finished goods go in a box for me to take home.
For a fresh light ....3 sheets of newspaper and a few pcs. of cardboard ripped off a beer box or soda box along with 6 or 8 of the Red Oak 3X5's and WHALLA a coal bed that cannot possibly NOT light any Anthracite size Pea or Larger in bought 10 minutes.
For a TIRED ALMOST GONE fire ...as long as there are some Hot coals ...just lay a few 3X5's on the coals and give it a bit of air and in few minutes.. OFF she goes for a easy pick me up.
Tim
Tim
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Oak #30

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: nortcan On: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:09 pm

Tim wrote:I guess I have it lucky ...I make kitchen cabinets for a living and have an endless supply of Hardwood blocks 3/4" thick by 3"X5" @ 6% or less in mouisture content....the Red Oak ones that do not make it as finished goods go in a box for me to take home.
For a fresh light ....3 sheets of newspaper and a few pcs. of cardboard ripped off a beer box or soda box along with 6 or 8 of the Red Oak 3X5's and WHALLA a coal bed that cannot possibly NOT light any Anthracite size Pea or Larger in bought 10 minutes.
For a TIRED ALMOST GONE fire ...as long as there are some Hot coals ...just lay a few 3X5's on the coals and give it a bit of air and in few minutes.. OFF she goes for a easy pick me up.
Tim


Yes Tim, lighting anthracite Should be as easy as you said. Unfortunally I don't have the nice hardwood blocks you have and no beer boxes LOL, (should be so good to sit in front of your Glenwood with that liquid on a cold day...), but I cut re-splitted pieces of wood saw them in 2 so they get about 6" long. For the rest it's klike you said. Once the fire run good just begin the filling with thin layers. Must be as easy as for a wood stove, if not something is wrong somewhere.
nortcan
P/S we don't have Cowboys any more in Quebec
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: mason coal burner On: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 pm

i was just thinking cut offs are FREE .
mason coal burner
 
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer/glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: 82/111

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: I'm On Fire On: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:59 pm

I've been doing a renovation on my house for the past several years. I have plenty of scrap wood lying around. I could light an anthracite fire with it. But, I always use the Cowboy Charcoal.
I'm On Fire
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: coldcoal On: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Hey folks! Hope you all had a good spring/summer/fall! Figured I'd say hello and wish all here a happy holiday season. Went back to wood this year for heat. All issues with keeping it going for a week straight, higher prices over coals ever further rising, etc. All that aside the biggest reason was every room in the house being covered with gray fine ash! I mean on every surface upstairs, appliances, etc. Shot dvd player downstairs as surely filled with ash, just no getting around this issue. Good to smell wood burning again as well, much nicer.

So sure I gave it a year, not for me, is what it is. You were all great in helping a noob though, so all my best to the community!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
coldcoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: harman
Stove/Furnace Model: 3 warped grated useless beast

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: coalkirk On: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:57 pm

No one ever said burning coal doesn't involve some dust. But what you describe only comes from careless handling of ash. Sorry it didn't work out for you and Merry Christmas right back at ya.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:26 pm

coldcoal wrote:Hey folks! Hope you all had a good spring/summer/fall! Figured I'd say hello and wish all here a happy holiday season. Went back to wood this year for heat. All issues with keeping it going for a week straight, higher prices over coals ever further rising, etc. All that aside the biggest reason was every room in the house being covered with gray fine ash! I mean on every surface upstairs, appliances, etc. Shot dvd player downstairs as surely filled with ash, just no getting around this issue. Good to smell wood burning again as well, much nicer.

So sure I gave it a year, not for me, is what it is. You were all great in helping a noob though, so all my best to the community!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!


Sorry it didn't work out for you. Were you dumping the ashes in the house or basement? At least your stove can be re-purposed and used as a wood burner. Enjoy the holidays and keep your chimney clean.

coalkirk wrote: But what you describe only comes from careless handling of ash.


I agree. I sold a coal stove to a friend that said it filled his house with dust. Another friend has a coal stove in his living room and loves it. The difference is how they handle the ashes. One of them carefully takes the pan outside and dumps it in the woods, the other would dump the pan into a ash can in his basement. I bet you can guess which one had the dusty house.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: freetown fred On: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:42 pm

coldcoal, you & your family have a real Merry Christmas also my friend. If you ever decide you want to give it another shot, you know you are sure welcome back to the FORUM---don't pay any attention to the Grinch's :clap: toothy Yup good fall--divorced the wife, bought her part of the farm, just me, the dogs & horses. I'm so poor I can't hardly afford to pay attention, but I'm sleeping good & the house hasn't been this peaceful for years. :dancing: :up: toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Lighting nut coal

PostBy: Vinmaker On: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:41 pm

This past time I used some wood that I thought was seasoned. Apparently not by all the black goo on my nice clean stove window. So I am thinking about using this charcoal method. Never used it before. Might be pretty cool to try.

As far as this cowboy stuff goes. Never saw the stuff in my life. Doubt they get that stuff here in the northeast corner of the USA. We are not exactly know for our cowboys. I have seen the royal oak stuff. :)
Vinmaker
 
Stove/Furnace Make: HARMAN
Stove/Furnace Model: SF-250

Visit Hitzer Stoves