Change in school lunches

Forum rules
As the title "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" implies we want quality discussion in this forum. If you're going to post a new topic or reply to one here please make sure it fits the following guidelines.

  • Clear and descriptive title for your topic.
  • You don't need to write a book but please have a reasonable amount of material to support or dispute what you are discussing.
  • Outside references to material to support or dispute your argument can be used but they should not wholly make up your argument. If for example you reference a news article please explain exactly what you are referencing and why.
  • Stay on topic, while topics will wander in the general forums we want to keep them strictly on topic in this forum. Flaming will not be tolerated at all.

Change in school lunches

PostBy: AA130FIREMAN On: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:56 pm

The school lunches are going to whole grain pasta and bread. Their was a principal on the news to talk about how her school students have lost weight on the new program. I believe this same principal gets in her car at lunch break and can't resist stopping at Mc Donalds for a super size to go. She should install a mirror in her office and lead by example. :D
AA130FIREMAN
 
Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: MURDOC1 On: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:00 pm

She doesn't look like she's missed a meal, huh???
MURDOC1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska/Franco Belge/Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: S.S. 2/ 144.08.02/ Mag Stoker

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: AA130FIREMAN On: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm not skinny myself, nor am I round like a pumkin, but they could of found someone better to talk about how kids are loosing weight and the head honcho is getting ready to be michelin man look alike :flex: . LEAD BY EXAMPLE.
AA130FIREMAN
 
Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube


Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: SMITTY On: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Good point!

This legislation of meals is one step BELOW communism. It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, or heard of. Of course, MA is at the forefront with the ban of trans fats in restaraunts around Boston.
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: david78 On: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:34 pm

The food Nazis ought to start by working on the fat between their ears. ;)
david78
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller & Warren Splendid Oak 27
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: AA130FIREMAN On: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:44 pm

My kids don't eat 1/2 the school meals now, if they have no taste they will be packin' all the time.
AA130FIREMAN
 
Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: Yanche On: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:33 am

We can make jokes about it all we want but the sad fact is that the general public health of Americans and western Europeans is in decline. Largely a result of poor diet and lack of exercise. The current generation of school age children are on track to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents. Medical advances can no longer be counted on to extend average life expectancy.

Should government be involved in school breakfast and lunch programs is a political decision. But, it's a fact that it is, and what it pays for should be healthy.
Yanche
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:48 am

Yanche wrote:But, it's a fact that it is, and what it pays for should be healthy.


I could agree Yanche but it goes beyond that. The local school here started this a while ago because apparently the principal was a health nut. My nephew was chastised for having a cupcake in his lunch. :roll: This is the same kid that gets decent breakfast and a cooked meal at dinnertime.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: SuperBeetle On: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:00 am

Well now, I could debate this a whole lot but, I won't. My wife manages a school cafeteria. They do have some healthy choices everyday but most of the dear children choose other things. Today for instance,they had 3 different entrée's, plus sandwich bar, baked potato bar, and at least 2 different types of salad to choose from. They also have fresh fruit everyday but, hardly any of the kids eat any of it. Ya know when I went to school there were no choices. You either packed or ate the one thing they had. I am by no means fat or obese or what ever ya wanna call it. My wife and kids(adults now) are not fat either. We are however active people and we don't sit on our asses all the time playing video games or watchin' tv. Although I do spend a lot of time on the 'puter :oops:
SuperBeetle
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: Yanche On: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:06 am

Richard S. wrote:
Yanche wrote:But, it's a fact that it is, and what it pays for should be healthy.


I could agree Yanche but it goes beyond that. The local school here started this a while ago because apparently the principal was a health nut. My nephew was chastised for having a cupcake in his lunch. :roll: This is the same kid that gets decent breakfast and a cooked meal at dinnertime.

And that issue should be addressed with your local school board. Certainly one individual should not be deciding what's good and/or not good. From a human physiology point of view the most important meal of the day is breakfast. Especially important for children.
Yanche
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: SuperBeetle On: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:13 am

You can read about the National School Lunch Program here:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... lunch/7487
SuperBeetle
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: Short Bus On: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:51 am

I seam to remember ketchup is a vegtable. :)
Short Bus
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Kewanee boiler with Anchor stoker
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut / Sub-bituminous C
Other Heating: Propane wall furnace back up only

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: murphyslaw On: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:09 am

AA130FIREMAN wrote:My kids don't eat 1/2 the school meals now, if they have no taste they will be packin' all the time.


Guns are not allowed in school !!!
murphyslaw
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: Model 82

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: AA130FIREMAN On: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:48 am

murphyslaw wrote:
AA130FIREMAN wrote:My kids don't eat 1/2 the school meals now, if they have no taste they will be packin' all the time.


Guns are not allowed in school !!!
Not that type of packin' :o Even the tiny toy soldier guns are conficated. Yes I think it is good to surve a nutricious low fat meal. The things kids want are what they see on tv. It just looks odd when the spokesperson for the school diet program is obiese herself.
AA130FIREMAN
 
Stove/Furnace Make: axeman anderson
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 anthratube

Re: Change in school lunches

PostBy: jpete On: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Short Bus wrote:I seam to remember ketchup is a vegtable. :)


And I SEEM to remember a SEAM is the stitching that holds two pieces of cloth together. ;)

According to GHWB, ketchup(catsup?) is a vegetable. But a tomato is a fruit. :D
jpete
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice