Anyone canning?

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 pm

We do a big garden, big enough to send kids to school from the produce stand. What I wait for is the smell of the sause cooking outside smelling up the whole neighborhood :D That smell of garlic and fresh sweet basil, oh boy I'm licking my lips right now. We usually don't get alot of jars in because we are so busy harvesting and such, so every jar is a prize :) The pickled beets, the pickled red cabbage, And something that is really unusual, canned melons. We cut the melon off the rinds and can them in sugar sauce. Orange and green. Man are they good!!!! We live a short distance from the ball factory, where they make canning jars and tops. My wife has won a few prizes at the county fair for canned goods ;) What I want to know is how you can venison? I've had it and it was really good. Do you just can it instead of freezing it? :)
Scottscoaled
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x3, 700 Van Wert 800
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: EFM 150, Keystoker 150
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: Stephen in Soky On: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Here's safe approved recipes for venison/beef etc. The entire NCHP site is worthwhile for canners whether new or old seasoned veterans.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/str ... hunks.html
Stephen in Soky
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Warm Morning
Stove/Furnace Model: 500

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: Uglysquirrel On: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:56 pm

If you are up here I have 3 brand new cases of canning jars I could give you...free . Found 'em on the side of the road !! Thats Yankee Coalburner Hospitality !!! :verycool:
Uglysquirrel
 
Stove/Furnace Model: Pocono


Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: heartofcoal On: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 am

stokerscot wrote:We do a big garden, big enough to send kids to school from the produce stand. What I wait for is the smell of the sause cooking outside smelling up the whole neighborhood :D That smell of garlic and fresh sweet basil, oh boy I'm licking my lips right now. We usually don't get alot of jars in because we are so busy harvesting and such, so every jar is a prize :) The pickled beets, the pickled red cabbage, And something that is really unusual, canned melons. We cut the melon off the rinds and can them in sugar sauce. Orange and green. Man are they good!!!! We live a short distance from the ball factory, where they make canning jars and tops. My wife has won a few prizes at the county fair for canned goods ;) What I want to know is how you can venison? I've had it and it was really good. Do you just can it instead of freezing it? :)


Love to see some pics if you got em :D and maybe a pickled beets recipe too.
Last edited by heartofcoal on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heartofcoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: C-80

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: heartofcoal On: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:52 pm

Just wondering. Are all canning jars equal, or is one brand better than another?
We've always used the Ball brand.
Also, we canned corn in qt. jars and pt. jars. and had five qt. jars go bad on us. Any thoughts?
We did the pints and quarts separately and at the time and pressure described in the Ball book.
Maybe we should have made whiskey instead :D
heartofcoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: C-80

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: europachris On: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:50 pm

heartofcoal wrote:Just wondering. Are all canning jars equal, or is one brand better than another?
We've always used the Ball brand.
Also, we canned corn in qt. jars and pt. jars. and had five qt. jars go bad on us. Any thoughts?
We did the pints and quarts separately and at the time and pressure described in the Ball book.
Maybe we should have made whiskey instead :D


We used to can a lot of Roma tomatoes for sauce and every once in a while we would get a jar that goes bad. Usually my problem is jars that don't seal (no vacuum). I think it either stems from not getting all the air out of the jar or heating them too quickly.

As to your corn going bad - only thing I can think of is quarts are going to take longer to heat through than pints - they sit taller so less is in the water and there is less surface area in proportion to the amount of volume. Double check the instructions again for differences between pints and quarts in the same size canner.

I've gotten away from canning and even gardening - just not enough time left in each day, even though I always enjoyed it. But I've got a couple of friends that are hard-core gardeners/canners so I'll have to pick up some tips and get going!

Chris
europachris
 
Stove/Furnace Make: EFM 350/Iron Fireman
Stove/Furnace Model: Custom bituminous burner

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: heartofcoal On: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:54 pm

I hear ya Chris
It's really frustrating for me sometimes with working full time, working on the house the gardens etc.
There's been many times when I've said to myself... Why the hell am I killin' myself like this? But I know I'd miss it.
heartofcoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: C-80

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: Stephen in Soky On: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:21 am

I'm not an expert since the nearest Master Food Preservation class I can find is in Chicago. But, I've canned for on my own 30 years and helped before that. Used to run between 4-500 jars each year, now down to only a couple hundred or so.

Lack of seals, or seals that fail, can most often be directly attributed to how tightly the rings were when placed in the canner. Fingertip tight is pretty darned subjective. More seals are lost by the rings being too tight than too loose. The contents must be able to vent thoroughly during canning. Too tight rings prevent adequate venting.

Vacuuming, or losing liquid is primarily caused by too rapid changes in heat setting on the burner. This causes fluctuations inside the PC that ultimately cause vacuuming the liquid contents out of the jar.
Stephen in Soky
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Warm Morning
Stove/Furnace Model: 500

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: heartofcoal On: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Stephen in Soky wrote:I'm not an expert since the nearest Master Food Preservation class I can find is in Chicago. But, I've canned for on my own 30 years and helped before that. Used to run between 4-500 jars each year, now down to only a couple hundred or so.

Lack of seals, or seals that fail, can most often be directly attributed to how tightly the rings were when placed in the canner. Fingertip tight is pretty darned subjective. More seals are lost by the rings being too tight than too loose. The contents must be able to vent thoroughly during canning. Too tight rings prevent adequate venting.

Vacuuming, or losing liquid is primarily caused by too rapid changes in heat setting on the burner. This causes fluctuations inside the PC that ultimately cause vacuuming the liquid contents out of the jar.


Thanks a lot for sharing your experience
You answered another question for me too..... losing the liquid. That happened with our carrots.

We're canning on an electric stove too, so regualting heat is tough.
I guess finger tight is something you have to get a feel for.

Ray
heartofcoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: C-80

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: heartofcoal On: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm wondering, who makes the best pressure canner
We have two of the Presto brand.
We used the first one for two seasons before the gasket crapped out.
Now, I've seen ones where they lock down with, I guess you'ld call them "thumb screws"?
They look like they're better built...... more industrial
heartofcoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: C-80

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: CoaLen On: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Those gaskets are meant to be replaced.
Here's an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Presto-Pressure-C ... B000ORD8GM
The pressure cooker is probably fine.
-Len
CoaLen
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: heartofcoal On: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:09 pm

I was gonna get a new gasket for it, but my wife informed me that this was her new seasoned sauce pot
and if I knew what was good for me, I'd keep my damn hands off of it. :notsure:

So..... I'll get a new one :)
heartofcoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: C-80

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: Stephen in Soky On: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:13 pm

All American. Your grandkids will use it. Built like tanks right here in the USA.
Stephen in Soky
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Warm Morning
Stove/Furnace Model: 500

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: heartofcoal On: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:42 pm

All American!
Thanks Steven, I'll look on Amazon and see what I can find.

Ray
heartofcoal
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Russo
Stove/Furnace Model: C-80

Re: Anyone canning?

PostBy: CoaLen On: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Also..
https://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen__ ... _910?Args=
They've got a lot of good, hard to find items.
-Len
CoaLen
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice