Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: dlj On: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:44 pm

OK, so here is what my latch looks like:
IMG_6129.JPG
(114.05 KiB) Viewed 17 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]25664[/nepathumb]

IMG_6128.JPG
(120 KiB) Viewed 27 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]25665[/nepathumb]
dlj
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks dj, those are some really good pictures. I hope you didn't burn your fingers taking off the door. You can really see the pawl and latch assembly really well.
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: dlj On: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:01 pm

wsherrick wrote:Thanks dj, those are some really good pictures. I hope you didn't burn your fingers taking off the door. You can really see the pawl and latch assembly really well.


Thanks William. For those two shots I didn't take the door off, just swung it open... Learned my lesson from the earlier photo...

dj
dlj
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: lobsterman On: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Yep, the second picture is great, thanks! See how flat your inside edge is? Mine is very rounded so it no longer bites. Hopefully, Doug at Barnstable will size and center my pins for me and redo my latch. Oh yeah, and get me an inner secondary air ring! I need grates too, I forgot to mention that. The center two are badly worn on 1 of 3 edges.
lobsterman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:15 pm

Here is a source for prismatic grates here. They have the sizes needed.


http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/4865/Stove-Grates-Triplex.html
wsherrick
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: lobsterman On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:01 am

OK some progress on the stove after work tonight. With the skill of a very good and talented friend the old pins were removed from the ash door (not without some tense moments) and the handle back mechanism where it grips the frame was slightly re-shaped. After installing new pins, the ash door now closes tight! Hurrah! More careful inspection shows the rest of the stove also appears tight. I may give it a test drive tomorrow.
lobsterman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: Tim On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:35 am

Whooohooo~~!.....Good Luck on the first burn!!!
Tim
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Oak #30

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: buck24 On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:34 am

Let us know how that test drive goes. Good luck with the new heat machine. She's a beauty!
buck24
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: New Buck Corp. / MODEL 24 COAL
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut / Anthracite

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: lobsterman On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks to everybody that is following the thread. It is yet another raging snow storm on Cape Cod. Luckily I can work at home today. I lit the Glenwood with a wood fire to get it hot and opened a door and window to vent out the smoke from the polish I used. Draft seems excellent but that is more chimney than stove. Coal is being nursed on now and I can already see the blue ladies. A picture to come when I get the fire pot full and get her in base burner mode. This is a very big stove for my house.
William and DJ: can one of you please measure the ash pan as mine is all bent out of shape and seems to be too big for the stove. Is it contoured in front of the primary air vents? Mine is not and it looks like it may capable of restricting air flow. I will get a couple of new ones made from the local tin knocker. I think it will be useful to have two: dirty one out and clean one in with one opening of the door. I consulted with Doug who said the inner 3-piece air ring is not needed and also not to plug the front piece. I am still on the lookout for the ring anyway. If Rob fabs them from steel, I may have to beg him for a set.
And William, I am ready for my base heater certificate now (LOL).
lobsterman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: lobsterman On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:47 pm

She's in base burner mode, pumping heat out under the bottom convection ring like crazy, primary air vents open 1/8 inch each, MPD closed, measuring 380 on the flat top of the base burner structure, 150 on the stove pipe.
Attachments
IMG_3636.JPG
(48.79 KiB) Viewed 43 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]25709[/nepathumb]
lobsterman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: dlj On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 pm

lobsterman wrote:Thanks to everybody that is following the thread. It is yet another raging snow storm on Cape Cod. Luckily I can work at home today. I lit the Glenwood with a wood fire to get it hot and opened a door and window to vent out the smoke from the polish I used. Draft seems excellent but that is more chimney than stove. Coal is being nursed on now and I can already see the blue ladies. A picture to come when I get the fire pot full and get her in base burner mode. This is a very big stove for my house.
William and DJ: can one of you please measure the ash pan as mine is all bent out of shape and seems to be too big for the stove. Is it contoured in front of the primary air vents? Mine is not and it looks like it may capable of restricting air flow. I will get a couple of new ones made from the local tin knocker. I think it will be useful to have two: dirty one out and clean one in with one opening of the door. I consulted with Doug who said the inner 3-piece air ring is not needed and also not to plug the front piece. I am still on the lookout for the ring anyway. If Rob fabs them from steel, I may have to beg him for a set.
And William, I am ready for my base heater certificate now (LOL).


Lobsterman,

My ash pan measures about 15"X13"X3" (= L X W X H) Two should work fine. I only have one and don't really miss a second. I do wish I had two hods...

Well, I don't quite agree with Doug, I would get combustion gases out of my front piece when the ring wasn't in place. worked great when it was in. Right now it's all furnace cement, so I'm running without the ring and with the front piece blocked... I pretty much match Williams performance just about pound for pound in coal and operating temps. Of course, I run a lot hotter than he does. I keep my place warm in the winter. Don't think it actually makes much of a difference as long as you don't get coal gases out while burning. I am thinking however, that once I get the magazine made, I might want my combustion ring back in...

dj
dlj
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: lobsterman On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 pm

Thanks, mine is 17 x 14 x 4 3/4, and fits in there only with the front corners hammered down a bit (LOL). It is clearly too big for the stove. Maybe the pan is from a No.8? I am not saying I agree with Doug either about the air rings. In any case, I will find them or have them made. For now it is running good, I cut back on the primaries even further to 1/16 inch it is blowing nasty 30+ knots here rattling windows on the house, 390 at the top of the barrel, 180 on the pipe where it takes a 90 to go up the flue. More heat than I imagined.
lobsterman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: DOUG On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:57 pm

WOW! This eye candy is making me want one of those! Great find! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of it all fired up in it's new home. :)
DOUG
 
Stove/Furnace Make: CHUBBY, D.S.MACHINE BOILER
Stove/Furnace Model: CLAYTON 1600

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: dlj On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 pm

lobsterman wrote:Thanks, mine is 17 x 14 x 4 3/4, and fits in there only with the front corners hammered down a bit (LOL). It is clearly too big for the stove. Maybe the pan is from a No.8? I am not saying I agree with Doug either about the air rings. In any case, I will find them or have them made. For now it is running good, I cut back on the primaries even further to 1/16 inch it is blowing nasty 30+ knots here rattling windows on the house, 390 at the top of the barrel, 180 on the pipe where it takes a 90 to go up the flue. More heat than I imagined.


Your pan sure sounds too big!

I find the stove is most sensitive to where I have my MPD set. I'll often just adjust the MPD and not the door settings. Not running hot enough? Just crack the MPD a bit more. Too hot? Close it down more. It's not until I get into the extremes of banked way down or cracked wide open that they become more important... My MPD is a cast iron damper without the holes in it as many have. It only has the holes where the rod goes through so when I put it straight up and down, there is not much going through the chimney, just the little space for the rod and the small paces around the outside of the damper at the pipe wall.

dj
dlj
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Re: Introducing... my Glenwood No. 6 Base Heater

PostBy: lobsterman On: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:16 pm

Yes, I noticed that too on my Chubby, especially since the MPD had a "tight" installation on the Chubby exhaust. For the Glenwood, I put on it on the stove pipe and the fit is kind of sloppy, something perhaps to change next Spring. But then I noticed that William runs his at 45 deg and mine closed even though a loose fitting is much more restrictive than 45 deg in a tight fitting.
lobsterman
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: Base Heater No. 6

Visit Hitzer Stoves