Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Richard S. wrote:
RAYJAY wrote:...after that there goes our school taxes and the state taxes stay the same, thought he was going to save the state.......


You can only do so much at a time, I think the budget increased 50% under Rendell. Scaling that back can't be done overnight especially with the pension issue. If they start cutting all this stuff you know people are going to get angry.



but schools of all things?? we need education more than anything else, and he really did not cut anything yea the state budget will go down but our school taxes will go up so we lose again...... Corbett look like a hero to the corps and cronies he's for, and were paying a bigger school tax bill , it would be great if he did this and our state taxes when down to compensate for the increase of school taxes ......... :mad:
RAYJAY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:25 pm

The state budget is not going down, these cuts are to keep it stable and not raise taxes. Without raising taxes there is an expected 4 Billion deficit for next year without these cuts which is where the issue lies and it's not going to get any better in the future. To put that number into perspective you could cover PennDOT's budget with it.


http://www.phlmetropolis.com/2010/03/pe ... rt-one.php

There are three problem areas:

- The State Employees Retirement System (SERS), which now covers some 107,000 retired state workers, currently costs state taxpayers about $226 million a year. This is due to rise sevenfold -- to $1.7 billion -- by fiscal 2012-13.

- The Public School Employees Retirement Fund (PSERS), which covers about 168,000 retired teachers, now costs state and local taxpayers a combined $616 million. This obligation will increase to $3 billion -- nearly five times as much --by fiscal 2012-13.

- There are more than 3,000 municipal pension programs, ranging from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to any rural borough with more than three employees. They cover retired police, firemen and non-uniformed workers (no one really knows how many) and they are already behind in their current obligations by at least $5 billion. That is not a typo. They are behind by $5 billion.



Ridge signed off on these pension increases shortly before he left office, I'm not sure who controlled legislative branches. In any event they should have never gotten these lucrative deals. It would have been hard to fund under a good economy let alone the current situation. Spendell never funded it "kicking the can down the road" and to top it off increased spending dramatically in many areas like education. He only got around it last year because of the Stimulus. It's time to pay the piper.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:31 pm

but anyway you look at it were going to paying more so he didn't raise state taxes but our school taxes are going to go threw the roof..... smoke and mirrors... so he didn't raise taxes big deal I'm still going to be paying $$$$$ . he did nothing for us he might as well raised taxes for what worth .......... a very empty promise he made :mad:
RAYJAY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER


Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Rayjay there is no easy solution, you either cut programs or raise taxes. Don't blame Corbett, blame the people that have come before him. FYI there is a lot of legislation in the works specifically aimed at schools, state mandates that drive a lot of costs up will be lifted and school districts will be able to lay off employees merely for financial reasons. If you school taxes go up I'd suggest you go after your school board and have them justify expenses. There is also the new school choice program which is going to take more funds away from local school districts but that will only effect some of the poorest and under performing districts in the state mostly in and around the Pitt and Philly areas. Plans are to allow it to go statewide in 3.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Richard S. wrote:Rayjay there is no easy solution, you either cut programs or raise taxes. Don't blame Corbett, blame the people that have come before him. FYI there is a lot of legislation in the works specifically aimed at schools, state mandates that drive a lot of costs up will be lifted and school districts will be able to lay off employees merely for financial reasons. If you school taxes go up I'd suggest you go after your school board and have them justify expenses. There is also the new school choice program which is going to take more funds away from local school districts but that will only effect some of the poorest and under performing districts in the state mostly in and around the Pitt and Philly areas. Plans are to allow it to go statewide in 3.


but i do blame him ....... cut services first before you take money out of my pocket, there is a lot of stuff he could of cut.
not popular but actual cuts..... mothball all of the state parks or for the one who use them charge them to get in, is one thing that comes to mind . another is the baseball stadium on montage, that been the biggest waste i ever seen,

how about all of the pork didn't see any of that being cut did we ............... just like our home budgets you have to cut the stuff you don't need first, and to me education is not one of them,( o that right he just passed the buck on to us with higher school taxes ) I'm not a teacher, just a wrench turning red neck, no kids but if were going to grow and prosper in American we need to educate or younger generation,
RAYJAY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: freetown fred On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:43 pm

RAYJAY, home school em--I'm sure they would learn alot more useful stuff off a Redneck Wrench then off half these Bimbo teachers the unions won't let us get rid of. toothy
freetown fred
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut/Stove mix

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:55 pm

freetown fred wrote:RAYJAY, home school em--I'm sure they would learn alot more useful stuff off a Redneck Wrench then off half these Bimbo teachers the unions won't let us get rid of. toothy


the problem is most parents can't even control there kids out in public... could you picture them teaching them :shock:
RAYJAY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 pm

RAYJAY wrote: another is the baseball stadium on montage, that been the biggest waste i ever seen,


I'd agree on this 100%, the government should not be funding arenas and stadiums.

no kids but if were going to grow and prosper in American we need to educate or younger generation,


Actually I think they have a pretty good plan in place, simply throwing money at the problem isn't going to fix anything. They want to go in another direction with the school choice program and I think it's going to be quite successful.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: Richard S. On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:02 pm

FYI the 20 million for the stadium was from Rendell, that money is still in the state coffers and the offer may be rescinded. If it is you know he's going to be made out to be the Grinch...
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Richard S. wrote:
RAYJAY wrote: another is the baseball stadium on montage, that been the biggest waste i ever seen,


I'd agree on this 100%, the government should not be funding arenas and stadiums.

no kids but if were going to grow and prosper in American we need to educate or younger generation,


Actually I think they have a pretty good plan in place, simply throwing money at the problem isn't going to fix anything. They want to go in another direction with the school choice program and I think it's going to be quite successful.



Thats something i think is going to really screw up our education system, never liked the idea of the vouchers, i think more regional schools instead of school districts, and sport programs should be cut to the bone. intramural sports is ok but as a state we spend way to much on football and basketball programs and not educate our students, and the regional schools should be held accountable on the student's grades not some test that the over all school is doing good,
RAYJAY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: RAYJAY On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Richard S. wrote:FYI the 20 million for the stadium was from Rendell, that money is still in the state coffers and the offer may be rescinded. If it is you know he's going to be made out to be the Grinch...


think he signed up to be the Grinch when he decided to run for office and made his campaign promises. to all of us........... :roll:
RAYJAY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: VAN WERT - 600 VA HOT WATER
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: HARMAN- MAGUM STOKER
Coal Size/Type: BUCKWHEAT ON BOTH
Other Heating: NG BOILER

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: samhill On: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Just an observation here, why can`t someone blame Corbett. I get told over & over again from the day Obama got in office to quit blaming Bush. If Obama didn`t inherit anything from Bush why should Corbett be able to inherit anything from good ole Toll Gate Ed? The only difference I see so far is Toll Gate would hold some group hostage until he got his budget passed & Corbett just picks what he wants & passes the rest onto the communities. :nono:
samhill
 
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:47 am

samhill wrote:Just an observation here, why can`t someone blame Corbett


I think you have to give the man some time? Certainly he is in a very bad position where he either has to cut programs or raise taxes, neither is going to make anyone happy. As far as blame bush crowd I still see people blaming Bush.
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: Richard S. On: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:50 am

RAYJAY wrote:
Thats something i think is going to really screw up our education system, never liked the idea of the vouchers,


I think it's a fabulous idea and they should expand it to eliminating the school districts as taxing bodies. Let them sink or swim based on merit.

We have ongoing discussion about it here: School Taxes
Richard S.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Re: Move over Wisconsin, The Corbett Revolution Starts in March

PostBy: MURDOC1 On: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:56 am

RAYJAY wrote: mothball all of the state parks or for the one who use them charge them to get in, is one thing that comes to mind .


Hold on a minute!!! My father rents/lives in a Pa. State owned farm house within Evansburg State Park... And so do many others... Perhaps not all State Parks have housing for rent but the ones that do generate revenue for the state...
MURDOC1
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska/Franco Belge/Harman
Stove/Furnace Model: S.S. 2/ 144.08.02/ Mag Stoker