I have my base burner (BB)

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: nortcan On: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 pm

BPatrick wrote:NortCan, your new (old) Baltimore Style stove is stunning, beautiful. I have an ivory fire place in this old victorian farmhouse and would love to put a stove like that there. I'm going to start looking. I spent money to get the fireplace in the bedroom opened up and I don't want to put wood in there, I want to put a coal insert. On the other side of the fireplace, I have the Crawford 40 with 6" liner. The fireplace is wide enough to have another 6" liner for the stove. Now I have to do some searching for it.


BP, is it possible for you to send us some photos from the ivory fire place? And other ones showing rooms/house... if you can/want. We love photos :D
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: BPatrick On: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:37 am

NortCan,

I will get a few rooms taken, I will get the picture of the Fireplace as well. It's not very ornate, but its beautiful in it's simplicity. This is a house that my wife's family built in 1857 and in the 40's it became a bed and breakfast. The house then went to another family as part of a foundation and then 4 years ago they contacted my wife's family letting them know they were putting the house up for sale. We bought it and absolutely love it, except for the 6,000.00 yearly propane heating bill. We burned wood with a Lopi Liberty wood stove in a much smaller house for years so we put in wood stoves. Well managing the 13' walls with Cathedral ceilings was too much for the stoves and we were having to feed them 3-4 times a day to keep them at peak temps and then I started looking for alternatives. I found the forum and started reading about anthracite. Then I did a search on the web for antique stoves and found some beautiful stoves and the stove hospital. Emery was backed up and recommended me to one of his friends. He beautifully restored a Herald No. 18 and it heated most of the house and looked like it belonged there. The house is two story and could be 3 story if we wanted to finish the huge attic. There was a wing to the house that has 15' cathedral ceilings in it and they used it as the community church. My wife's family was Protestant and he was a preacher. We made this room the kitchen and living room. It's all wood floors back in the day when nails were hand made and they didn't put ply-wood down before the flooring. When you turn on the basement lights, you can see light through the wood floors. It's kinda neat. The Herald has a tough job just heating this room and the next 2 rooms. This is why I added the Crawford No. 40 on the other end of the house. It adds heat to the lower level and then heats the upstairs. I now need to figure out a better way to insulate the air ducts so I can circulate the upstairs heat better. They are on a different system than the downstairs. There are two furnaces and two air conditioners. By leaving the downstairs hallway door open the heat rises to the upstairs, now I must get the heat distributed to the rooms in the upstairs. They have a wool-like blown insulation on the floor of the attic and it covers the air ducting system. I'm wonder if more or a better way to insulate them would help carrying the warm air and distributing it from room to room.
BPatrick
 
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: nortcan On: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Bpatrick, you seem to have quite a big house there.
How many Sq Ft to heat? And very hig ceilings, making a lot of difference to get the place warm...
When sending photos showing the fire place, if possible for you to send some showing the house, ins/outside, rooms, basement... with some détails...(some are already on your last post but having a few photos...). More détails gives more answers...
About air moving, one thing to try is having the air Handler/s (blowere in the furnace/s) running at a very- very low speed and 24/24, it helps to boost the warm air confort in the house once the ideal/wanted temp. is reache.
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: BPatrick On: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:05 pm

NortCan,

The old house is 4,000 square feet. I've thought about running the upstairs furnace fan as it is on a separate system but I'm wondering if the cold attic would cool the air down. The wool blown insulation is laying on top of the ducting and it looks insulated but I guess I'll have to try that and see if it works. The fire place is marble not ivory. I think I said ivory when I meant to say marble. Still, it's a really neat fire place and an old french insert stove or a Franklin stove would look beautiful there.
BPatrick
 
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: nortcan On: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:48 am

BPatrick wrote:NortCan,

The old house is 4,000 square feet. I've thought about running the upstairs furnace fan as it is on a separate system but I'm wondering if the cold attic would cool the air down. The wool blown insulation is laying on top of the ducting and it looks insulated but I guess I'll have to try that and see if it works. The fire place is marble not ivory. I think I said ivory when I meant to say marble. Still, it's a really neat fire place and an old french insert stove or a Franklin stove would look beautiful there.

BPstrick
4,000 SqF is a large area to keep warm. Even a new insulated one will need some good heaters.
Do you know how thick is the insulation on the attic's floor? Having a constant air circulation from an air handler, even running at a low speed call for a good heat output from the stove/s., if not the room feels not confortable. On my air blowers, I changed the RPM by "playing" with the pully size to go as low as possible.
Are the basement's walls isulated? Sometimes in a not too much insulated house, there are a few places to improve to keep the heat Inside like the doors seals, w indows seals,some cracks here and there.........
Don't forget a fewwwww photos :)
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: firebug On: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:02 am

BPatrick,

checkd goodtimestove.com out of curiosity - they´ve got a Baltimore Heater in their Parlor Stove section selling at $4850,-
just thought I´d let you know in case you were still looking to find one
regards
Mark
firebug
 
Baseburners & Antiques: Felix 141 by Ludwigshütte, Germany (1914)
Coal Size/Type: Lignite Briquettes, Anthracite
Other Heating: natural gas hydronic heating

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: nortcan On: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:03 pm

firebug wrote:BPatrick,

checkd goodtimestove.com out of curiosity - they´ve got a Baltimore Heater in their Parlor Stove section selling at $4850,-
just thought I´d let you know in case you were still looking to find one
regards
Mark


Would be VERY important to ask the seller if the back parts are somewhere apart of the stove. Baltimore Heater are special soves and have different base burner warm air path than other models of antique stoves. On the photos from the seller showing the sides of the stove , you can see missing parts for the base burner mode.
I send some photos from the Sunny's back showing the back and some of the many parts found in a Baltimore base burner. Start comparing the 2 units( the seller's one and the Sunnyside) from the small doors on each side of the base. These doors are for cleaning the base and are also used as check dampers
That said, the seller's stove is a nice one.
Attachments
DSC05201.JPG
(95.08 KiB) Viewed 28 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
See the small door at the left, in the base
[nepathumb]45937[/nepathumb]
DSC05127.JPG
(87.24 KiB) Viewed 22 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]45938[/nepathumb]
DSC05116.JPG
(94.81 KiB) Viewed 25 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]45939[/nepathumb]
DSC05109.JPG
(81.4 KiB) Viewed 24 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]45940[/nepathumb]
DSC04773.JPG
(102.41 KiB) Viewed 19 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]45941[/nepathumb]
DSC04818.JPG
(91.45 KiB) Viewed 30 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]45942[/nepathumb]
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:38 am

Very fascinating !!!!!! Thank you nortcan for posting those pictures. Both highly functional and beautiful in a compact space.

The pattern maker must have taken forever to make and carve all the patterns needed for that stove. There's hardly a straight edge, or flat surface anywhere. Having some experience with pattern maker and foundry costs recently, I shudder to think what it would cost to produce a stove like that today. :shock:

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: nortcan On: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:24 am

Paul, you'r right, making these stoves was really a work of art plus needing skilled workers to make each part matches to the next one. Considering the Tools they were using then, I don't know exactly what the had as tools but they certainly didn't have computers, lazers...
And they knew how to make them to extract all the heat from anth.
Almost 100 parts in the stove ( plus the screws, bolts, washers) and all work like when new :idea:
Attachments
DSC05071.JPG
(92.71 KiB) Viewed 45 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
Almost 100 parts
[nepathumb]46038[/nepathumb]
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: BPatrick On: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:18 pm

Nortcan,

One of the problems is that the basement is an old field stone wall basement and it isn't heated if I'm not running the furnace. If I turn on the fans to recirculate the air, the warm air will go through the cold basement and actually cool the house. On the main floor I've got a big ceiling fan and a few room fans mixing the air. Upstairs, if I insulated the attic better, I could see where the fans would help. The challenge right now is the wind and cold temps. We've put up plastic over the windows and it did make a difference. I just need to get the stove back, fixed so it can run at 550 on the cold days, and 450 on the warmer days. We had single digits lows and a high of 20 with 25 mph winds these last few days and it makes heating challenging.
BPatrick
 
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: BPatrick On: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for the heads up on that stove Mark, but at 4,800+ it's not worth it. Everyone thinks they have a 1 of a kind. While a pretty stove, and nice, it's not that nice for the money. I think they are trying to hit a home run with that one. When you really search and look around, you'd be amazed what you can find, completely restored, and for much lower prices.
BPatrick
 
Baseburners & Antiques: 2 Crawford 40 Baseheaters
Coal Size/Type: Stove Coal
Other Heating: Herald Oak No. 18

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: Sunny Boy On: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:05 pm

nortcan wrote:Paul, you'r right, making these stoves was really a work of art plus needing skilled workers to make each part matches to the next one. Considering the Tools they were using then, I don't know exactly what the had as tools but they certainly didn't have computers, lazers...
And they knew how to make them to extract all the heat from anth.
Almost 100 parts in the stove ( plus the screws, bolts, washers) and all work like when new :idea:


Wow, laid out like that, it really shows the complexity and how incredible the workmanship had to be !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for posting the pictures.

Paul
Sunny Boy
 
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: nortcan On: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:16 pm

BPatrick wrote:Nortcan,

One of the problems is that the basement is an old field stone wall basement and it isn't heated if I'm not running the furnace. If I turn on the fans to recirculate the air, the warm air will go through the cold basement and actually cool the house. On the main floor I've got a big ceiling fan and a few room fans mixing the air. Upstairs, if I insulated the attic better, I could see where the fans would help. The challenge right now is the wind and cold temps. We've put up plastic over the windows and it did make a difference. I just need to get the stove back, fixed so it can run at 550 on the cold days, and 450 on the warmer days. We had single digits lows and a high of 20 with 25 mph winds these last few days and it makes heating challenging.


BPatrick,
here I saw some home owners having their stone wall basement insulated with sprayed insulating ""foam"" (don't know the good name) and they have seen a neat difference on the easier way to have the basement warmer than before. But not 2 houses are the same, and if located in a windy place things are a lot different on the heating point of vue.
Hope you get the stove back soon so we will see many photos :) :D
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: nortcan On: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 pm

BPatrick wrote:Thanks for the heads up on that stove Mark, but at 4,800+ it's not worth it. Everyone thinks they have a 1 of a kind. While a pretty stove, and nice, it's not that nice for the money. I think they are trying to hit a home run with that one. When you really search and look around, you'd be amazed what you can find, completely restored, and for much lower prices.


Same advice for me.
At that price the stove would have to be complete and if so the seller would have sent photos showing a complete stove. Not even having the surrounding panel :mad:
These Baltimore Heater were made to be placed inside of a foyer with a part inside and one outside of the foyer so the surrounding panel makes the joint to the foyer.
Beeing not easy to find parts for these Heater, if someone find one, be shure it's as complete as possible.
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: I have my base burner (BB)

PostBy: nortcan On: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:33 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
nortcan wrote:Paul, you'r right, making these stoves was really a work of art plus needing skilled workers to make each part matches to the next one. Considering the Tools they were using then, I don't know exactly what the had as tools but they certainly didn't have computers, lazers...
And they knew how to make them to extract all the heat from anth.
Almost 100 parts in the stove ( plus the screws, bolts, washers) and all work like when new :idea:


Wow, laid out like that, it really shows the complexity and how incredible the workmanship had to be !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for posting the pictures.

Paul


Workmanship, nice word to describe exactly how they were doing things in thet past time :idea: So far from what we get now: buy today, throw away tomorrow :(
About photos, some members said that I'm a ""photos-maniaco"". :lol:
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Visit Hitzer Stoves