I've used a Pioneer top vent for three seasons now, love it!
However, it is in the family room at basement level, thus cool in the summer. It is vented via a Stainless Steel chimney.
Last summer was extremely humid and the black pipe including the $$$ Stainless chimney to stove pipe connection corroded badly despite a 25W bulb to keep some heat in the unit. There was severe internal pipe corrosion and condensate buildup before there were any externally visible signs.
I believe the problem is a power exhaust vent in my home creating negative pressure. The path of least resistance most likely is down the SS chimney and convection from 25w of heat wasn't enough to overcome the negative pressure. I use a dehumidifier but that has no effect on the inside of the pipe or stove.
I have two thoughts and solicit comments. For cosmetic reasons, I don't wish to leave the stove pipe disconnected.
1 - Somehow fashion a plug for the chimney and stuff it up the clean out T. This is difficult since the bottom of the T is very close to the ground and impossible to inspect.
2 - Disconnect the black pipe (can't remove the plain steel adapter to SS chimney) and insert a plug into the SS there. Reconnect the pipe for the summer
In 1 & 2, put a sign on the burner "chimney has a plug"
3 - Use a manual speed control and run the combustion fan at a slow speed during the summer.
Two questions if I do either:
What model fan is the combustion blower should I wear the fan? (actually both fans). I get a discount on HVAC equipment.
Any ideas what would make an air tight tight plug?