Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

Forum rules
ATTN Coal Dealers: To advertise your company you're allowed to start one new topic in "Coal Prices, Coal Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries and Reviews". You may also respond to other topics started by others where your company has been mentioned and are encouraged to do so. Any other posts just for advertising here or anywhere else on nepacrossroads.com will be considered spam and removed. Repeated violations will result in a permanent ban.

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: coal berner On: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:07 pm

coal berner wrote:
markviii wrote:
PC 12-47E wrote:Kimmel's anthracite coal comes from many different breakers. It's not easy to know the quality of the coal that you end up with.


A lot of their coal used to come from Meadowbrook Coal, not sure if that is still the case. Regardless of how many sources they have, it is "blended" product. Things like ash color might change, but it has always burned very well for me.

That is the main breaker that the bagging plant get the finish product from there are many surface mines that sell their
coal to Meadow brook Kimmel was sold a while back same guy owns both bagging plant and breaker as you said many different coal go in to the breaker so the quality of coal will vary

Meadow brook is now R&R coal co, what was Summit Anthracite is now Meadow brook Kimmel is still Scott Kimmell whitey owns / running The old Meadow brook breaker what is Now R&R coal co. The new Meadow brook is owned by new guys Located where Summit Anthracite use to be same place new name and upgrades being added to breaker .
The coal from both places comes from many surface mines Meadow brook runs a lot of old bank coal threw that breaker Kimmel is a bagging plant buys coal from many different surface mine co.
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:12 pm

I got a load of buck from Kimmel's in September, it is really nice coal.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: coal berner On: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Rob R. wrote:I got a load of buck from Kimmel's in September, it is really nice coal.

Yes and the next time it will be different not so good in consisted You will have that with many places that buy coal from many different coal co. many different veins

and lots of old bank coal to load from and sell to different breakers and bagging plants.

about 40 mins from them How far are you from them do you see the coal coming out of the ground do you follow the trucks from the surface mines to bagging plant or to any of the breakers do you know the owners and operators of these coal mining companies .

How many different Anthracite coal veins have you burned from what anthracite coal field what veins is the coal coming from .

Test results change on a daily basis when the coal comes from many different veins of coal and is mixed together .

Processing the coal is a very big a part how good it will be in the end if you do not have a good product to start with it won't be to good at the end .
coal berner
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF
Stove/Furnace Make: Electric Furnace Man
Stove/Furnace Model: DF520

Visit Lehigh Anthracite

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: Rob R. On: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:42 pm

What did I say that justified a blast like that? I simply stated the fact that I bought a load from them, and it has been very good coal...nothing less, nothing more.

I will attempt to answer your questions:

coal berner wrote:about 40 mins from them How far are you from them


About 450 miles.

coal berner wrote:do you see the coal coming out of the ground do you follow the trucks from the surface mines to bagging plant or to any of the breakers do you know the owners and operators of these coal mining companies .


Nope, I haven't been to the bagging plant, mines, or any of their breakers. Don't personally know anyone there either.

coal berner wrote:How many different Anthracite coal veins have you burned from what anthracite coal field what veins is the coal coming from .


I am not sure...and I have never asked. I have purchased coal from Kimmel's, Blaschak, Reading, UAE, Lehigh, and some mystery coal from Cornwall Coal Co. You would know better than me what veins and banks they are sourcing from.

coal berner wrote:Test results change on a daily basis when the coal comes from many different veins of coal and is mixed together .

Processing the coal is a very big a part how good it will be in the end if you do not have a good product to start with it won't be to good at the end .


Makes sense to me. I have ordered three TT loads from them over the last four years, and bought some loose pallets in-between. My dad and I have burned over 30 tons of their rice coal in EFM stokers, and so far about 10 tons of their buck...never sheared a pin, and never had any reason to complain about their product. The ash color changes from time to time, but that is the only variability I have observed.

Please tell us about your personal experience burning Kimmel's coal.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: MATTHEW D. On: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Rob R. wrote:What did I say that justified a blast like that? I simply stated the fact that I bought a load from them, and it has been very good coal...nothing less, nothing more.

I will attempt to answer your questions:

coal berner wrote:about 40 mins from them How far are you from them


About 450 miles.

coal berner wrote:do you see the coal coming out of the ground do you follow the trucks from the surface mines to bagging plant or to any of the breakers do you know the owners and operators of these coal mining companies .


Nope, I haven't been to the bagging plant, mines, or any of their breakers. Don't personally know anyone there either.

coal berner wrote:How many different Anthracite coal veins have you burned from what anthracite coal field what veins is the coal coming from .


I am not sure...and I have never asked. I have purchased coal from Kimmel's, Blaschak, Reading, UAE, Lehigh, and some mystery coal from Cornwall Coal Co. You would know better than me what veins and banks they are sourcing from.

coal berner wrote:Test results change on a daily basis when the coal comes from many different veins of coal and is mixed together .

Processing the coal is a very big a part how good it will be in the end if you do not have a good product to start with it won't be to good at the end .


Makes sense to me. I have ordered three TT loads from them over the last four years, and bought some loose pallets in-between. My dad and I have burned over 30 tons of their rice coal in EFM stokers, and so far about 10 tons of their buck...never sheared a pin, and never had any reason to complain about their product. The ash color changes from time to time, but that is the only variability I have observed.

Please tell us about your personal experience burning Kimmel's coal.

Rob R. wrote:What did I say that justified a blast like that?

You didn't say anything to deserve that Rob!!!! It never ends with him...bla, bla, bla :down:
MATTHEW D.
 
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: jjs777_fzr On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:49 am

Didn't look like a 'blast' to me. Actually made sense and at least for me it helps me understand some of the breaker process.
jjs777_fzr
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: steveyrock On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:49 am

Coal berner was teaching in his post,a bit harsh sometimes,perhaps?

Simply put----to worry about ash analysis and volatiles and so on is futile because the coal comes from many sources and is blended.May even change hour to hour, calling breakers and pesting them about this is ridicules. Listen to the man because he knows of what he speaks.
steveyrock
 

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: coalkirk On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 am

steveyrock wrote:Coal berner was teaching in his post,a bit harsh sometimes,perhaps?

Simply put----to worry about ash analysis and volatiles and so on is futile because the coal comes from many sources and is blended.May even change hour to hour, calling breakers and pesting them about this is ridicules. Listen to the man because he knows of what he speaks.


Bingo. Coalberner comes off as harsh but he knows what he's talking about. also remember that reading the typed word, there is no tone or voice inflection other than what the reader ascribes to it. Typing is not Coalberners strength so he cuts to the chase. I don't think he was giving you a blast. Responses like Matthew d don't help. sorry.
coalkirk
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Coal Size/Type: antrhcite/rice coal

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: Rob R. On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:57 am

Perhaps I misunderstood his words and tone, but I read it as "You don't live here or know the people involved, so you don't know what you are talking about". If that wasn't what he meant, then I should not have taken offense.

Ash on the pile at this point, lets all move on.
Rob R.
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/buck
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: MATTHEW D. On: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:38 pm

coalkirk wrote:
steveyrock wrote:Coal berner was teaching in his post,a bit harsh sometimes,perhaps?

Simply put----to worry about ash analysis and volatiles and so on is futile because the coal comes from many sources and is blended.May even change hour to hour, calling breakers and pesting them about this is ridicules. Listen to the man because he knows of what he speaks.


Bingo. Coalberner comes off as harsh but he knows what he's talking about. also remember that reading the typed word, there is no tone or voice inflection other than what the reader ascribes to it. Typing is not Coalberners strength so he cuts to the chase. I don't think he was giving you a blast. Responses like Matthew d don't help. sorry.

Typing is not my strength either. Coalberner is filled with lots of knowledge. Just don't put other people down while making your point, coalberner. Just like you put my family's Coal Company Down for no reason at all. You had absoultly no facts or reason to justify your comments. That's why I put in my 2cents on this. I'm done!
MATTHEW D.
 
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: Wood'nCoal On: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm

IMG_1529.JPG
(175.35 KiB) Viewed 31 times
View: New PagePopup • Select:BBCode
[nepathumb]39626[/nepathumb]
Wood'nCoal
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: SMITTY On: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:35 am

I've said this a million times before but it begs repeating, just as an FYI. I had TERRIBLE luck with Kimmels a few years back burning nut. I've never seen so much trash in my life in their bags. Mud balls, rocks, BOULDERS, wood, wire, steel - you name it. Never got over a 12 hour burn, and it made TONS of ash. Was the first coal I had ever bought, so I didn't know any better until I switched to Blaschak - seriously, the difference was night and day - no exaggeration! I DOUBLED my burn times, got less than 1/3rd the ash, and no clinkers or anything - just a fine, light colored powder.


Was too good to be true, because my latest batch of Blaschak is loaded with rocks. :mad: I've dumped the fire 5 or 6 times this year alone! Can't win ... but such is life.
SMITTY
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: Patriot Coal - custom built by Jim Dorsey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III (not currently in use)
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: Paulie On: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:47 am

Most coal available here in MA will be a blend, no getting around it. I'm burning Kimmel rice, nice coal. I took couple trailer loads couple years ago, sold off majority and kept few tons for myself. There was a difference in burn quality between the loads.One was hotter and cleaner than the other. Not huge difference, but I noticed it, and nothing that would be deemed "bad"
So, unless you get it yourself from a source that can break it on site, you are getting a blend. It would behoove the the supplier
to make a nice burning blend, but sometimes they drop the ball. Smitty, yours may have been the loader operator...who knows?
Paulie
 
Stove/Furnace Make: leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Pioneer

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: Scottscoaled On: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 pm

Smitty's could have been a load that had some Newport Aggregate mixed in. They were a customer as reported.
Scottscoaled
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520x4, 350, 700. Van Wert 400 x 2, 800, 1200.
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck

Re: Kimmel's : What's the latest skinny on their bagged coal?

PostBy: coalmainer On: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:17 am

I've burned Kimmel for the past few years and haven't had an issue. Just this week I purchased a ton of Kimmel nut and I can't get any heat out of it!! I'm assuming it's the coal quality, but the ash build up isn't bad...?? Today it's -5 degrees out and the draft from the baro could suck a plastic bag through the chimney...plenty of draft, but the fire is low...uGG :mad: !
Confirm for me...is it the coal quality??
coalmainer
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Themopride WC-20
Stove/Furnace Model: Franco Belge Surdiac

Visit Lehigh Anthracite