I used charcoal and charcoal lighter fluid for a while until one night, I didn't do anything different than I had been, put the charcoal in, put some fluid on, let it sit for a couple minutes, and then tried to light it. Not sure if it was heavy air that night or what, but the fumes from the fluid all stayed in the stove. When I attempted to light it, the fumes ignited, burning the skin on the back of my hand, fingers,ear, and side of my face enough to blister. Also the loss of a lot of hair, including eyelashes and eyebrows. Do yourself and don't learn like I did, sleeping that night in bed with my hand resting in a pan of snow. Even dried out old matchlight will easily ignite with a propane torch held on it for just a couple minutes.
I take a small piece of wood (a small piece of molding, a piece of 1"x1", or something just to hold back the charoal), cut it just a tiny longer than the inside dimension of the burner, turn it until it wedges inside the burner, put a few broken up pieces of charcoal behind it, light the charcoal with the torch (or fresh matchlight works great), turn on the fan supplying air to the fire, wait until the charcoal is going good, sprinkle some coal on top, crank up the feed until its going good, then turn down the feed to desired fire. The wood eventually burns away enough that the feed will just push it into the ash pan. Sounds a lot harder than it is.
Don't use charcoal fluid!