Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: nortcan On: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Nice Will.
When you say coal, do you mean anthracite or charcoal? It's surprising to see a so big stove burning at a very low heat output. The stove is certainlay able to run at a very high and very low heat output.
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:07 pm

nortcan wrote:Nice Will.
When you say coal, do you mean anthracite or charcoal? It's surprising to see a so big stove burning at a very low heat output. The stove is certainlay able to run at a very high and very low heat output.


It was Anthracite. I just used charcoal to get it started.
wsherrick
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: SteveZee On: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:18 am

Pierre,

It's the smaller stove he was testing not the #6 Baseheater. The numbers are sometimes confusing but I think It's the same size as my Star Herald 112 with a 10" firepot. Never the less, it's quite amazing that both of his stoves have a very wide operating range. I hope my Herald operates even close those ranges. I'll be quite happy.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: rasct On: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:19 pm

William,
The stove looks great! How is the No.6?
Rob
rasct
 
Stove/Furnace Make: vermont castings/Glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: defiant/No.6&8 base heater

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: nortcan On: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:24 pm

SteveZee wrote:Pierre,

It's the smaller stove he was testing not the #6 Baseheater. The numbers are sometimes confusing but I think It's the same size as my Star Herald 112 with a 10" firepot. Never the less, it's quite amazing that both of his stoves have a very wide operating range. I hope my Herald operates even close those ranges. I'll be quite happy.


You'r right Steve. I forgot it. Thanks.
nortcan
 
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: wsherrick On: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:08 pm

rasct wrote:William,
The stove looks great! How is the No.6?
Rob

Thank you,
The No 6 is all ready and polished up. I have had a few charcoal fires in it to dry out the basement after the deluge.
wsherrick
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: wsherrick On: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:52 pm

I think this weekend will be the time to light up the big Glenwood, but; I want to report on how the Glenwood No 9 has been running. As I stated earlier this stove has wildly exceeded my best expectations for it. Since it has been chilly at night I have been operating the, "new" Glenwood to keep the chill out. It has done what I asked of it perfectly.
A standard scuttle of coal will last for almost 3 days of continuous operation. The stove has a total capacity of about 25 pounds of coal, but; will operate just fine with as little as 10 pounds at any given time. I can operate the stove around 200-250 degrees constantly and the fire continues to burn through the entire bed instead of slowly going out from the outer diameter inward. The only danger when running that low of a fire is if the ash bed is allowed to become too thick then the fire can't generate enough heat to keep itself ignited as the draft is weakened when the stove is set to base burning mode.
I have been shaking the normal once a day enough to keep the fire clear and that is all that is necessary. The drafts on this stove can be set to perfectly run the stove at this low of a temperature.
I don't know how the stove acts under normal operating temperatures but we'll find out once the weather gets sub-zero. Thus far it has been the perfect stove for the beginning of the heating season. It is very easy to light, and operate.
I believe the insulated fire pot is going a long way to make this kind of operation possible. The coal burns across the entire mass until it all goes out and nothing comes out of the grate but ash as fine as Talcum Powder.
wsherrick
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: SteveZee On: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:04 am

Will, When you say baseburning mode on the #9, what controls that? Is it just the backpipe damper like my Herald?
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: wsherrick On: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:20 am

SteveZee wrote:Will, When you say baseburning mode on the #9, what controls that? Is it just the backpipe damper like my Herald?


Yes, you just flip the damper closed and that changes the smoke flow.
wsherrick
 
Stoker Coal Boiler: None
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: None
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: None
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: None
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: stovehospital On: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:13 am

Just an" I told you so!" from Emery. For years people passed by the 109-111 Glenwoods to look at other stoves. Once they try one they are usually amazed at the efficiency and the power of the stoves. I use a Magee Vendome in my shop. You saw it when you visited. That stove can be running at 600 on the barrel and you can reach up above the damper and put you hand on the stove pipe. It is about as hot as a nice blueberry muffin. My son heats a two bedroom ranch with a Spicer base heater and burned a total of 55 Gals of oil last year. The coal is reduced to dust in most cases and the fire just keeps on going. Now I am having trouble finding enough of these base heaters for my customers. AS time goes by nyou be more and more impressed with the design and efficiency of these stoves.
stovehospital
 
Stove/Furnace Make: 250 stoves in barns
Stove/Furnace Model: #6 Herald baseheater

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: SteveZee On: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:14 am

stovehospital wrote:Just an" I told you so!" from Emery. For years people passed by the 109-111 Glenwoods to look at other stoves. Once they try one they are usually amazed at the efficiency and the power of the stoves. I use a Magee Vendome in my shop. You saw it when you visited. That stove can be running at 600 on the barrel and you can reach up above the damper and put you hand on the stove pipe. It is about as hot as a nice blueberry muffin. My son heats a two bedroom ranch with a Spicer base heater and burned a total of 55 Gals of oil last year. The coal is reduced to dust in most cases and the fire just keeps on going. Now I am having trouble finding enough of these base heaters for my customers. AS time goes by nyou be more and more impressed with the design and efficiency of these stoves.


I can imagine that they are really something Emery. I say that because I know how good my Star Herald is, and its one step removed from the baseburner catagory. Mine reduces the coal to complete ash. I've been feeding the "seconds" from the Cookstove to the Star Herald. Doesn't even burb.
Last edited by SteveZee on Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SteveZee
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Modern Oak 116 & Glenwood 208 C Range

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: dlj On: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:27 am

Emery,

Just want to say that giving you my #6 to restore (whenever that was, 2? 3? years ago?) was the best thing I ever did with that stove.

You are absolutely right, the efficiency of this stove never ceases to amaze me. I burn between 3 and 4 tons a winter, keep my house at whatever temperature I want (well, what the women want) and find that stove to be easy to use and cleaner than any other design I've used. I'm about to drop a magazine into it, should be done next week. I am really excited to see how that is going to make this stove even easier to run!

From time to time someone on here will talk about reproducing these stoves. It would end up being an expensive stove but perhaps with some re-design of the complexity while keeping the fundamental principals, it could be done. I'd like to see it happen...

dj
dlj
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: mason coal burner On: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:21 pm

i am still heating my house with just the 111 glenwood . i haven't had to fire up the hitzer yet . it hasn't been that cold . i am going threw about 40-50 lbs / day stove running 300-400 degrees that seems like alot from what others running baseburners a going threw . any thoughts or suggestions . william i was wondering if you have to poke up threw the grates after every shake down like i have to .
mason coal burner
 
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer/glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: 82/111

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: dlj On: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:30 am

mason coal burner wrote:i am still heating my house with just the 111 glenwood . i haven't had to fire up the hitzer yet . it hasn't been that cold . i am going threw about 40-50 lbs / day stove running 300-400 degrees that seems like alot from what others running baseburners a going threw . any thoughts or suggestions . william i was wondering if you have to poke up threw the grates after every shake down like i have to .


I don't have to do that on my stove. Depending upon how hot I'm running, if pretty hot, I can get clinkers. I pull those out through the top.

How big is the space you are heating? When you say 300-400 degrees, is that the side of the stove? Where are you taking that temp measurement? Right now I'm typically running between 200 and 300 degrees measured on the side close to the top of the stove. I think I'm burning 25 to 30 pounds a day. If I were up in the 300 to 400 range, I'd be up around 40 pounds a day like you are...

dj
dlj
 
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Re: Glenwood No 9 Base Burner-(hopefully) a few photos

PostBy: mason coal burner On: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:58 am

the shaker system in the 111 and 109 are different than the others . it is a circular grate that rotates back and forth . i am heating 2700 sq ft over two floors and the stove is way off to one end . i also measure my temp on the side near the top .
mason coal burner
 
Stove/Furnace Make: hitzer/glenwood
Stove/Furnace Model: 82/111

Visit Hitzer Stoves