Pole is up, actually last week I put it up. The contractor was here last week pouring the footer for the new garage and I had the hole ready in case they had some concrete left which they did. Didn't get done polishing it though so I still have some work ahead of me. Hole is about 3 foot deep and almost 2 foot across. That sucker isn't going anywhere. We put about two inches of concrete in the hole then set the pole in and filled it up. We tied it off with some ratchet straps to some stakes in the ground, leveled it up and let it set. The sidewalk coming off the front patio is bad shape, I'm going to remove it and have it go around the pole, I'm also going to build a rock wall around similar to the one around the patio.
freetown fred wrote:She used to have a bronze eagle on the top but a few yrs ago, a hellish wind storn took her down & de-winged the eagle.
The base that connects to the poll is cracked on the one I have. I'm working on the eagle now, appears to be copper. I remembered a post here about using electrolysis.
6 gallons of water and about a cup of salt, I'm using an old 8 volt 1 amp transformer I had laying around. Finally found a use for old transformers!
Actually cleaning up pretty nice, started it yesterday afternoon and the paint peeled off real quick. I checked it periodically and started seeing some copper after about 8 hours. I was going to let it go overnight let it go overnight but my electrode which is spoon had disintegrated so it wasn't doing anything for presumably most of the night since it doesn't look any different.
It appears the eagle is soldered together with some pretty big welds. Doesn't look like it would look good just plain but I'll wait until I clean it it up before deciding what to do with it. If it looks bad I'm probably going to put a coat a of primer on it and paint it like a real eagle.
Here's what it looked like this morning, the part on the ball where you can see a lot of copper is where I tried cleaning it manually.